Looking for a metalcore friendly guitar. I was told its basically between ESP and Ibanez.

Now I get that ESP / LTD is like Fender / Squire.

I Just need the models I should be looking at or avoiding.

For Ibanez, I was told to look at the "RGA" series. Now, I'm seeing plenty of "RG##", but not many RGA's. Also, I've seen a few GRGA's, whats that all about.

I know what I'm really looking for is a fast action, thin neck, with humbuckers (EMG's, Black outs, etc...), but every guitar I read about says fast action, thin neck, and I can't find them ALL in person to play.
Last edited by rancor12 at Mar 28, 2011,
GRGA is like the budget version of a regular RGA - What you'd find in most Ibanez starterpacks. Avoid them if you can.

You might also want to take a look at Jackson Dinky. They're a little less shred-happy than Ibanez, but you can find one stock with EMGs as opposed to whatever Ibanez puts on them. Or, another option, get a Dinky with the Sustainiac. You can have a lot of fun with those.

For ESP, you should look at the LTD M series. Also has EMG equipped models, again a slightly thicker neck which may be more comfortable.

Ones to avoid include anything too brutal-looking. Sure, you may like metalcore/insanely heavy stuff now, but if you want to be taken seriously in any other genre you're going to have a hard time.

Other than that, the standard advice would be to just go to your local guitar store and try stuff out.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Mar 28, 2011,
Um, what's your budget?

And not just the M series. I prefer the MH series. I also wouldn't look at anything below the 400 series (or whatever they're calling it now, they're annoying me by constantly changing the names).

Also, Ibanez S guitars are pretty shreddable.
Okay, but what about RG with no A, followed by a number. Also, do the letters after the number mean anything, like FM.

The LTD M-series looks a little cheap ($150-$200), are they really that good.
The name / model thing is getting to me too. I'm a drummer by trade, trying to switch over from dabbling with guitar to being a guitarist. With drums, A 6 piece saturn mapex is a 6 piece saturn mapex...and thats it. I can spend anywhere from $0 - $700 on a guitar. I don't mind used if its a good deal, which is usually the whole point of used.

For example, hows this...

I have a thing for white guitars.
Last edited by rancor12 at Mar 28, 2011,
I would guess the M-300 would be what you're looking for. I have a M-401 and it is amazing! Neck-thru, dual 81's, 24 frets, and a floyd.
Esp Ltd M-401 with EMG 60 at the neck 18v Mod
Esp Ltd EC-1000 stbc 18v Mod
MXR M-116 Fullbore Metal \m/
MXR MC-404 CAE Wah
The A in RGA means its an arched top, the letters after the number vary on what they mean, but FM means flamed maple ( its the way the wood on the top looks, it could also be QM for quilted maple)
Okay, so the code has been cracked.

"RGA42FM" = RG series with an arched top, model 42, with a flamed maple finish.

So the RG and 42 are really what matters.
Quote by rancor12
Okay, so the code has been cracked.

"RGA42FM" = RG series with an arched top, model 42, with a flamed maple finish.

So the RG and 42 are really what matters.

Yessir. You got it pretty much but the Ibanez system for numbering can really get at people and it's really difficult to understand. A part of me wishes it was like the way ESP does it. Generally, with ESP LTD's, the number starts lower and goes up. The higher the number the better/more expensive the guitar generally until you run into the 1000's. Then it goes straight to ESP... no more LTD.

But yeah, back on track, the RGA series is a great guitar to look at. I have 2 RG's and they are great. I've played RGA's and the arched top is nice. Also, if you're looking to shred, any Ibanez will suffice and the S series is great as well. I own an S and metalcore is great on it. Pretty much anything is and they don't look super ridiculous (think bc rich haha) so you can feel comfortable playing jazz one day and death metal the next.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
ESP ltd mh-350nt or ltd mh-1001nt. 'nuff said.
Gear

Schecter C-1+

LTD MH-350NT

Line 6 Valve 212 MkII
Quote by trueamerican
Um, what's your budget?

And not just the M series. I prefer the MH series. I also wouldn't look at anything below the 400 series (or whatever they're calling it now, they're annoying me by constantly changing the names).

Also, Ibanez S guitars are pretty shreddable.
Ibanez S guitars are awesome, very thin and lightweight. I know a bunch of people in the metal and hardcore genres play them. The thickness of the neck is a pretty standard 19mm (n)/21mm (12th), so you shouldn't have to deal with the 17mm/19mm necks Ibanez is famous for. I personally like the S770PB the best, as I'm a sucker for natural finishes. The S570DXQM is pretty decent too, though I played a model from a couple years back. They're both pretty well priced with other guitars of similar specs, the former being $799 and the latter being $649.I actually have GAS for that first guitar now

The ESP/LTD 1000 line is pretty much awesome no matter what model you get, with the 400/350's being a decent intermediate guitar, like a bridge between beginner and semi-pro/professional gear. Personally I think you'd be best going with the MH-1000 FR or H-1001 FR if you want a Floyd rose and EMGs. If you're more partial to fixed bridges, then the H-1001 FM is a very nice guitar as well.

Just as suggestions if you find yourself wanting to go passive, there are three guitars I know of from LTD that have a Seymour Duncan '59/JB set. Very versatile pickups, I have them in one of my LTDs. The MH-1000 NT (also available in Desert Brown or Green if you go used.), the EC-1000 FM , and the older H-1000's (which are by far the best looking IMO, the link is an eBay listing for one). There is also EC-1000 T for a thicker guitar, with Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro's.

You could also check out Schecter as well, I'm personally not a fan but there are those who swear by them. Eye of the beholder I guess, right? Anyway cheers in your search bro