I've noticed that most of the Ibanez guitars have open humbuckers and most of the ESP LTD guitars have closed humbuckers. I read up on humbuckers, but I'm still not sure what sound difference, if any, open vs closed makes.

I know EMG are supposed to be really good, and they all seem to be closed. But the infinity style by ibanez are also supposed to be really nice, but they're open.
When they have metal cover on them, they sound a bit more nasal and less open, although the difference is hardly existant.

EMGs have plastic covers which don't do anything to the tone, EMGs sound like EMGs.
If you have pickup covers it sounds like the Allman brothers, and without it sounds like Steve Vai, no matter what guitar you play. Ever.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
If you have pickup covers it sounds like the Allman brothers, and without it sounds like Steve Vai, no matter what guitar you play. Ever.

that explains why good guitars have covers on the humbuckers then

as a few people said, the same humbucker with a cover will sound a bit more honky and nasally, and without a cover will have a bit more of an open top-end response, but it's really a minimal difference and most people just pick covered or un-covered for appearance - i mean, there's plenty of different humbuckers with vastly different tones that there's not really much point in worrying about the miniscule difference that covered vs uncovered makes.

i did find taking the covers off epiphone humbuckers helped a considerable amount but that's because the epiphone humbuckers are just a little bit too boxy and dead sounding with the covers on and that little bit of extra top end adds just enough life to make them sound half-decent imo.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
^ how in hell do you know that?
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Covered pickups are also slightly less noisy, but only slightly. Just pick on looks imo.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by verbalrelease
Covered humbuckers provide a larger, smoother writing surface.

i see what you mean... but why would you want to?

keep those sharpies away from my humbuckers!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.