He's actually that stupid
4 25%
He's stupid, but exaggerates it
10 63%
He's completely an act
2 13%
Voters: 16.
Page 1 of 2
Some of you may know of Karl Pilkington from The Ricky Gervais Show or An Idiot Abroad, he's a first class imbecile a lot of the time.
If you haven't seen him, watch either of those shows, here's a sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkFjRxejR1U

The thing is, there are people that believe he's an act and not actually as ignorant as he appears... any thoughts?

EDIT: Ah, fuck's sakes there was meant to be a poll...
I used to be a doubter but after seeing an Idiot abroad you can tell he is actually like that. He's not entirely stupid he just has a funny world view.
I think it's a mix. When you hear him on the XFM shows, or even on Idiot Abroad, he's fairly normal. A big whiner, and a bit quirky, but not particularly moronic (except on the Red Nose podcast, that was pretty awfully thick, perhaps his worst).

It's quite clear they funnel him towards things he's weird on, and talk over him/cut him off to make him sound stupider, but I definitely don't think it's scripted.
Genuine idiot. But if any comedian came up with what he said about insects in Australia, I'd think they were a genius.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Karl Pilkington could add a poll.
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
To be honest I don't find him that much of an idiot.
I mean he says some things that are a bit thick here and there, but generally it's all played up and his slow-witted comebacks dig him deeper.

He could be a brilliant actor, but whatever he is I find him lovably amusing.
it could be an act but when you know more about his story it does suggest he is the real deal. The only reason he is on the ricky gervais show is because he was assigned as their producer and one day when steve and ricky were making a podcast they just happened to ask him a question and he answered in true pilkington fashion :P
i think he really is that naive, still if it was a persona i wouldn't mind too much. He has pulled it off pretty damn well and given me some great laughs!
i think he's a genuine idiot.

funny as heck, but a complete dunce.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Either way, it's hilarious. His rant about dolphins was inspired.

Does anyone else feel that Gervais came out looking like a bigger asshole after An Idiot Abroad?
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
A bit, yeah. I did find the torture element quite entertaining, but SMerch was far better on the show than Ricky. Often the same way in the Guides To... .
Quote by TheBurningFish
Either way, it's hilarious. His rant about dolphins was inspired.

Does anyone else feel that Gervais came out looking like a bigger asshole after An Idiot Abroad?

I felt really sorry for Karl, when Gervais was deliberately making his time in different countries terrible. I think he's just an asshole in general though, so anything he does usually makes me dislike him more.
Idiot genius.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Quote by Stud_Muffin
I felt really sorry for Karl, when Gervais was deliberately making his time in different countries terrible. I think he's just an asshole in general though, so anything he does usually makes me dislike him more.

Ah, but when they sprung the kidnap training on him... after he had been kidnapped.
He's hilarious.
I never liked anything Ricky Gervais had a hand in until I saw The Ricky Gervais Show.

I think it's just that he thinks about the world in a different way. There's intelligent moments but Gervais always cuts him off as soon as something remotely stupid has been said, even if Karl acknowledges he's no expert on the matter.
I was wondering the other day if any of the stupid stuff Karl has said that Ricky and Steven immediately call BS on was actually true.
Quote by kaptink
I was wondering the other day if any of the stupid stuff Karl has said that Ricky and Steven immediately call BS on was actually true.

A fair bit of it is, or at least is based in truth. The cat's feet mops turned out to be a Japanese joke product.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
He is being portrayed stupider than he acutally is, ricky and stephen make sure of that(especially ricky).

But I love Karl, and never thought it was scripted. Cause I know people with similar thought patterns.
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
Nah it seems very legit. On an idiot abroad it was pretty obvious that he wasn't acting.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by kaptink

There was something that I almost emailed in to prove him right on. Can't remember what now, but they tore the shit out of him, and it was completely true and established.

I'd highly recommend you all listen to his views on Red Nose Day before being too nice to him.

"We can't just keep giving them sandwiches. Every year, it's like "Here's another sandwich."
Karl Pilkington Meets Warwick Davis Pt 1, 2, 3 and 4.

The best thing I've ever seen him doing, and based on his reaction to meeting him in the first video, it's got to be real.
Funny words.
He can sometimes be mentally competant... but the stupid things he says are genuine.

I don't find him funny on his own, he's just moany and irritating... but Ricky laughing at him is painfully funny
Yo, I don't want to sound like an obsessed freak but been listening to a lot (and I'm talking everything from early XFM to recent Idiot Abroad) and thought I would chip in my opinion.

From what I gather his personality is genuine, as in this wasn't created by Ricky and Smerch but it's now become a bit of an exaggerated act. I say this, because he repeats a lot of stories from the XFM days on the Ricky Gervais show and podcasts so it feels like material now rather then his ridicilous opinions off the cuff. Also he changes the stories a bit to make them funnier.

So I think it's a bit of both, what he says isn't pre-concieved, but some of the time I think it's a little intentional. Hilarious, regardless.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Fun fact: you can add polls to threads you created. Down at the bottom, under "Thread Tools".
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Definately a bit of both, but more an "idiot" than an act. He hams it up occasionally, but on the whole he's genuine. The thing is, he isn't that thick, he talks about interesting concepts, but dosen't know how to word them properly. He was talking about concious and sub concious parts of the brain, but put it "am i in control of my brain or is my brain in control of me" which makes him seem as thick as pig shit.
I've been listening the Gervais Merchant and Pilkington since XFM radio.

It's not an act.
I think it's a bit of both. I think he's not a complete idiot, but he does a very 'individual' way of looking at life.

Either way, he's hillarious. I think there's a second series of Idiot Abroad coming soon.
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Another thing that I was always wondered is how he managed to get so hugh up in his job! He wasn't just a dogsbody, he was head of his department at XFM for a very long time, and trained a lot of presenters. He only has one GCSE! I know things were different twenty years ago, but jeeez
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by psyks
I've been listening the Gervais Merchant and Pilkington since XFM radio.

It's not an act.

This.

He is a complete div, but they also make sure that they only talk about stuff that makes him look even thicker,

Fun Fact: Karl has an IQ of 72.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Ricky Gervais is a right pompous wanker so much in those podcasts. Especially when you hear him completely dismiss something Karl says which you know is true.

But also yeah Karl is a real moron I think.
Page 1 of 2