I currently have an Orange R-30 and I like its tone but I've just moved to an small apartment and it's way too loud (can't play past 2 on the volume knob) so I was thinking of selling it to buy a Ceriatone JTM-45 with a half power mod and a master volume.

Which amp is better for Blues (Clapton, Buddy Guy, John Mayer) and Classic Rock (Zeppelin, Santana, Hendrix, Free)?

How loud would the Ceriatone be with those two mods?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Half power would be about the same wattage as the Rocker.
The master volume won't help either, you might still not be able to turn it up past 2, just like the Rocker.

If you like how the Orange sounds, keep it.
If you want your tone to be brighter and more Marshall-y, get the JTM clone, as simple as that.
Quote by JesusCrisp
Half power would be about the same wattage as the Rocker.
The master volume won't help either, you might still not be able to turn it up past 2, just like the Rocker.

If you like how the Orange sounds, keep it.
If you want your tone to be brighter and more Marshall-y, get the JTM clone, as simple as that.

I really like the thick, low end Orange tone but the Rocker is too loud. How's the tone of the Rocker compared to the Dual Terror?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Quote by blues-guitarist
How loud would the Ceriatone be with those two mods?

that would depend on where you set the new master volume knob.

depending on the actual pot used, it could jump dramatically or have a nice even taper.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Try lifting your cab up so it's off the floor. Set it on a couch or cushion. This will prevent the bass from travelling through the floor and into adjacent apartments.

Beyond that, even a 5w head is pretty loud turned up to where it starts to sound decent. For ultra low volumes the best option is a modeller... with headphones if necessary.
Quote by gregs1020
that would depend on where you set the new master volume knob.

depending on the actual pot used, it could jump dramatically or have a nice even taper.

Would it be quieter than the Orange?
-Homer Simpson
Quote by blues-guitarist
Would it be quieter than the Orange?

maybe.

anyone who says yes or no to that is purely speculating. we have no way of knowing how well this "mod" will work in the end really.

generally speaking jtm45s are about the last amp i'd consider for low volume use.

mod'd or not.

you'd be better off with a mod'd 18 watt and still that's loud.

it also depends on what you consider "quiet".

sorry i couldn't help more.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Keep it to take to band stuff, and buy a smaller amp with master volume for practice. There are also some mods out there that can add a master volume to an amp (Ted Weber's kit comes to mind).

I thought the Rocker had a master volume?
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass