hi guys i learned the major scale but i think that i won't use it beceause it's not my kind of music i like metal music and i think that i won't make any thing with that scale i just learned it beceause it's the base of other scales.... so i ll move on to minor scale ..
srry for my bad englsih
Last edited by mado-elodie at Mar 28, 2011,
Cool story, bro.

Now seriously, what is wrong with you? The mayor scale is just as badass as any of the other scales. You can make serious metal riffing with it, you just don´t know how to use it. Would you like me to explain?
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
You can make whatever "genre" of music you want with whichever scale you choose but it is up to the musicians creativity.
Quote by takeapicture

YOU CAN ALL SUCK MY 3 INCH WILLY

Quote by primusfan
i'm the one pulling my own pants down in front of people. and i have a small penis.

Quote by imdeth
Penises look much better than vaginas in my opinion. A vagina looks like an axe wound.
Quote by Tim the Rocker
Cool story, bro.

Now seriously, what is wrong with you? The mayor scale is just as badass as any of the other scales. You can make serious metal riffing with it, you just don´t know how to use it. Would you like me to explain?

yh eplain plz
Quote by Happy Meal
You can make whatever "genre" of music you want with whichever scale you choose but it is up to the musicians creativity.

This.
ok ok i want to practice the major scale it won't hurt i know u ll tell me to jam over backing tracks i used some of backing track but they were all so borind and i couldn't play any thing over it ... could u plz give me an interesting one ? srry my englsih is bad
Well, this is just basics:

Use these chords, not all of them just some, and in any particular order (some musicians would kill me now, but hey! I am not breaking any written rules, only tendencies) C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bº. You will see this is the notes of the C mayor scale. Now, play any chords and over them play the notes (that means you will have to record the chords first, or find a song that uses those chords) you will hear that the notes flow with the chords.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
If you ever want to learn more advanced soloing using modes and arpeggio's and things, then i'm afraid the major scale is a massive part of that. As tweaking a few notes of the major scale makes more-or-less every mode you'd need. For example, say I have just learnt the Major scale, and yeah I have soloed over some backing tracks but it's plain boring to be frank, if I flatten the 7th, i'm in the Mixolydian mode, which is adding further spice and interest into my solos. If I sharped the 4th of a major scale and i'm the Lydian mode and i'm sounding like Steve Vai! Major/Minor scales are important dude, learn the basics, and you'll find your metal playing becomes even better. As a lot of metal uses phyrigian mode, which you can also make by tweaking notes of a major scale (2,3,6,7 to be precise)
Quote by mado-elodie
ok i have a question how modes helped u in ur playing ? ? ?

They don't "help" your playing, they give you more to work with.

That said, Id suggest spending lots of time playing music that uses the Major and minor scales 1st.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 28, 2011,
you know, um... TS, those minor scales, are all part of major scales? so whenever you play in a minor key, you're just playing in a major key but using the 6th as your main root note. I mean, you may be using a different finger pattern/scale shape, but you're still playing notes from a certain major scale, just starting from the 6th of that major scale.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
you know, um... TS, those minor scales, are all part of major scales? so whenever you play in a minor key, you're just playing in a major key but using the 6th as your main root note. I mean, you may be using a different finger pattern/scale shape, but you're still playing notes from a certain major scale, just starting from the 6th of that major scale.

Not in a tonal sense. In a modal sense the Aeolian mode may be "derived" from the Ionian mode but in standard tonality the major and minor scales are not related. It really doesn't have anything to do with positions. If I'm playing in D major and then modulate to D minor then what am I doing?
yeah for me when i try to play in a G major scale i always use the E note like my root >< i don't know why
Quote by mado-elodie
yeah for me when i try to play in a G major scale i always use the E note like my root >< i don't know why

If you're playing the notes of the G major scale and make E the "root", you're actually playing the E minor scale, not the G major.

Do you know how to pick the key of a song?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I don't think the scale is the problem. I think it might be the fact that you're probably just playing the scale up and down and don't know how to apply it. Learn about intervals, learn how the major and minor scales relate, look into some actual theory rather than just memorizing box shapes, and then come back and tell me that the major scale isn't brutal enough for you.

And if you're a troll you fail
I hate my sig
Quote by Sóknardalr
Not in a tonal sense. In a modal sense the Aeolian mode may be "derived" from the Ionian mode but in standard tonality the major and minor scales are not related. It really doesn't have anything to do with positions. If I'm playing in D major and then modulate to D minor then what am I doing?

You are playing in the fourth, but starting on the sixth of the fourth.
I doubt he's a troll. He just prefers the minor scale, as do I. If I never heard another I IV V progression it wouldn't bother me.
Thought for the day.

The only people that think scales and our playing pents is boring...are us guitar players.

But out there in the real world, theres a construction worker pulling up to a site with his CD blasting Metallica, hearing Kirk's playing and getting pumped up to start building some houses. I've never once had anyone come up to me after a show and say "ah man that was all pentatonics you did"

Conclusuion - everyone else has it right, and we are the ones that are wrong. The rest of the world hears the music that we make, we think that a scale is what makes or breaks us.

Funny enough the more smarter we are, the more interesting our music becomes to us (jazz anyone?) the more ugly and strange and ugly and weird we sound to those around us, and we tend to reduce our audience into a very narrow niche.

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Thought for the day.

The only people that think scales and our playing pents is boring...are us guitar players.

But out there in the real world, theres a construction worker pulling up to a site with his CD blasting Metallica, hearing Kirk's playing and getting pumped up to start building some houses. I've never once had anyone come up to me after a show and say "ah man that was all pentatonics you did"

Conclusuion - everyone else has it right, and we are the ones that are wrong. The rest of the world hears the music that we make, we think that a scale is what makes or breaks us.

Funny enough the more smarter we are, the more interesting our music becomes to us (jazz anyone?) the more ugly and strange and ugly and weird we sound to those around us, and we tend to reduce our audience into a very narrow niche.

Sean

amen. schoenberg being another example (people must be bored to death of all this tonal stuff, apparently not! )
Howzit guys ?! While u're on the subject,I want to start learning scales.(Playing for about 2yrs now,rhythm,chords mainly and a few melodie lines) Which ones do I start with and how do you practice them ? Just play up and down the scale or are there a certain order to play a scale ? And in the end ,how do you apply these scales. For example,say a song use A,D,E chords ,do you play just the "A scale" over the chords or do you change scales according to the chords ?

Thanks
Quote by Ovation e148
Howzit guys ?! While u're on the subject,I want to start learning scales.(Playing for about 2yrs now,rhythm,chords mainly and a few melodie lines) Which ones do I start with and how do you practice them ? Just play up and down the scale or are there a certain order to play a scale ? And in the end ,how do you apply these scales. For example,say a song use A,D,E chords ,do you play just the "A scale" over the chords or do you change scales according to the chords ?

Thanks

The major and minor scales are the place to start. For many it's where it ends too - many professional guitar players will just use these two scales for their entire careers.

As for the A, D, E example, the key is A major, so you just play A major over all of it. The scale doesn't change depending on what chord is played, however you may choose to use certain notes of the A major scale over certain chords for certain effects.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
The major and minor scales are the place to start. For many it's where it ends too - many professional guitar players will just use these two scales for their entire careers.

As for the A, D, E example, the key is A major, so you just play A major over all of it. The scale doesn't change depending on what chord is played, however you may choose to use certain notes of the A major scale over certain chords for certain effects.

Cool ,thanks Bud.