]Hey, I'm looking for the punky/alternative/rock sound that sounds just like Green Day (particularly from the American Idiot album)... Does anybody know what I need to set things at (tone, gain, bass...etc.) and if I need to buy any effects pedals or POD or anything....? I'll be playing it on a Squire Telecaster with 2 humbuckers.

Thanks.
Well i would start by staying OUT of tune, yes thats right your playing punk so **** tuning. And maybe turn up the gain and treble and scoop bass and mids and then just strum power chords..your welcome...
For Know Your Enemy/Homecoming you turn the bass right down and the treble right up. Other than that, you need a raw Marshall amp and just use the amp's overdrive channel.
P-90s play a big part in the newer Green Day sound. Cranked Marshalls too, Plexis maybe? I'm not sure.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
make sure to grab a line 6 spider||| with that order too!
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
ITT: Assholes and Tools. If you aren't going to contribute, then you're just bumping the thread.

It depends on what album of Green Day; Billie Joe hasn't always used the same instruments. for their earlier work he went Stratocaster (with a Humbucker in the bridge) -> Distortion Pedal -> Fender Amp. Then around the album Warning he switched it up to a Gibson LP Jr. (p-90s) and a Marshall head + cab, plus a Distortion Pedal for boost during Solos
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by TJ1991
I know he uses the Boss Blues Driver for distortion and a JCM800 amp.

Ehm.. No.. The Blues Driver is right but he does not use Jcm 800. He uses the famous Pete amp. An modded Marshall Plexi.

Gets your facts right.....
Earlier Green Day tones is basically any bridge humbucker, any light overdrive pedal and a mid-gain valve amp of almost any description with pretty much everything maxed out. There was nothing smart or complex about Billie Joe's early tone.

American Idiot should be done as above but with a P-90. With a humbucker you need to roll the mids out a little, perhaps take the bass back a tiny bit and definitely max out your treble. You will probably want to turn down the amp's gain and turn up the pedal's gain a little. Some of the tracks on American Idiot use more of the early tone though so it's worth knowing how to get both.

Ballpark figures for a guitar with humbuckers would be bass around 75%, mids at about 50-60% and treble 75-100%, depending on the amp in question. Fenders won't need the treble pushed so high, Oranges will need it maxed and Marshall-style amps will be somewhere in the middle of the two.
first, you slice off your ears with a butter knife, then you unhook your guitar, throw it at a parked car a few times, then dab a little shit on your finger, and rub it on your ear wounds, and voila!
Quote by SKArface McDank
first, you slice off your ears with a butter knife, then you unhook your guitar, throw it at a parked car a few times, then dab a little shit on your finger, and rub it on your ear wounds, and voila!

Not funny...
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by morciu
you dudes aren't very helpful

Says the one who contributed less than everyone else....

The p90 pickup is part of the newer tone, other than that any rock oriented valve amp should be able to pull out similar tones I'd say, probably something with a "british" sound like Marshall.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
I'm pretty sure it's something like:
Mid- 2ish
Treble- 8.5
Bass- 6-7
Gain 7 (IIRC)
He uses a Boss Blues Driver, so if you really want their tone, grab one of them, and run it through a Marshall ( no MGs) with a P-90 guitar. (Current, he used a bridge humbucker in a Fernandes Strat copy until American Idiot, I believe.)
Last edited by ChamsRock at Mar 28, 2011,
Quote by SKArface McDank

i think you forgot about the part were you take the low e string and hold it over a flame until it glows orange and stick it into your ear canal.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by KYmonster
Well i would start by staying OUT of tune, yes thats right your playing punk so **** tuning. And maybe turn up the gain and treble and scoop bass and mids and then just strum power chords..your welcome...

Well, this guy obviously has no f*cking clue what he's talking about.
So, whats your budget? Theres no point people reccomending JCM900's when you have £200 is there?

if you're using a resonably popular FX unit (Line 6 pod, digitech etc) you can download a premade patch off their respective websites. If you're extra lucky, it might not sound like shite.
Such is posting in Soviet Russia