Hey guys. I know this is Ultimate Guitar but I figure The Pit may be able to help me somewhat.

Basically, I want a skateboard. I've only ever used one crappy one before but my parents gave it away a few years ago
So yeah. I live in the UK (if that matters) and I really don't want to be spending over about £25 ($40) on a skateboard in case I don't use it. I do realise that I'm cutting down on my choices hugely by having this kind of budget, but whatever.

The only skateboards I've really found at this price are Batman skateboards or Barbie skateboards which are obviously going to be awful and intended for little kids. I'm 16.

Anyway, what are some good options for buying a skateboard at this kind of price? Anyone know any good beginner brands? Particular models? Any links?

Thanks.

TL;DR: Good beginner skateboard brands for £25 or less.
Quote by firestarter12
does any1 know where I can get a fender les paul? i always only see 1 or the other but i want one thats both.

I had two (about 2 years apart) United Skates ones from Argos, I think they were £19.99 each and weren't.. great.. but they lasted me until I gave up.

Partly because my name is Ollie.

That first, then I got one with a ford GT on which is in my shed so cba to get a picture. xD
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Yeah, I use a Squier Strat.
Dude, the best thing you're going to get is a walmart board with plastic trucks and bearings that probably have chunks of granite as the ball bearings. Not to mention the board feels like it's made out of recycled paper.

Pick up a Girl board with a nice pair of Royals trucks and Speed Demon bearings, or Swiss reds if you're willing to spend an extra 2 bucks. Whatever wheels you want.

I guarantee you'll at least have more fun doing it if you invest in some good gear.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Mar 28, 2011,
Quote by Dirge Humani
You're not going to find anything for that cheap.

Maybe not that cheap, but you can definately get some cheap. My first set up was a Fracture complete from Route One. Have a look online, its UK based, and they might have a store near you. THe one in chester closed down so i just get whatever i need online from there.

When i got mine, it was a simple maple deck, fracture trucks with medium bushings, Abec 7s (and with a little WD-40 they go like a beast) and basic fracture wheels. I've still got the truck set up pretty much as was, except i've added a pair of risers.

Overall? Mine was £50. Cheap, as, chips. Very reliable too
Quote by Rocker007
Blackrat has won this thread. That is an awsome post.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
Yeah, honestly, maybe a board for 80 bucks bare minimum..Otherwise, good luck.
You can get cheap worn down skateboards at pawn shops and craigslist like sites. A friend of mine bought a decent board for 25 euros. it didnt look to pretty with stickers and stuff on but there was no significant damage done to it.
GET THE BATMAN SKATEBOARD.

Na na na na na na na na...

Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
that's a shit skateboard you'll get for "how-much-did-you-want?-10$?-50$?" A board costs me about 200$ average.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by Portuguese_boy
My first skateboard was an Airwalk, cost me like 30 euros...

And how good was it? I just want one to practice on. I don't want to buy some £120 skateboard and then never use it.
Is it durable enough to use it for like maybe until Christmas?
Quote by firestarter12
does any1 know where I can get a fender les paul? i always only see 1 or the other but i want one thats both.

Check the back of skate mags, there's usually some start-up deck manufacturers who've flopped and are clearing out their warehouse for feck-all. Honestly though, you will be laughed at on an Argos skateboard.

Try a 2nd hand board? As long as you know what you're looking for. No cracks in the middle, obviously, and not too damp. Though realistically, I'd only sell you a board for £25 if it WAS damp.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
I had a pretty decent McGill skateboard, still do, I just need to add some grip tape to it :p Got it for £35.

I'm sure Argos sell proper skateboards, it's just not in the kiddy section. Otherwise I'm sure there's a few local skate shops near you, just look there I guess? You will get a better deal there.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
TS, don't forget to buy a helmet. You'll look adorable.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Voltage and Poison were the budget-budget boards back when I started, but that was about 10 years ago.

Fracture are of a better standard and are still budget, but the deck alone would be £20 (unless prices have changed a lot recently).
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

What you need is a new ramp.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Your really not going to get much for £25 dude, a crappy deck is no fun to ride either. i started out on a £50 Rollersnakes deck (http://tinyurl.com/6g6rmb4) and for the money you cant really get much better than that

second hand maybe, but myself i wouldnt really trust that, not on something like a skateboard.

At the moment i skate a £125 deck, custom built and even that isnt up to the standard of some of my mates decks
Guitars:
94' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Schecter S-1
Tanglewood acoustic
Ovation Applause Acoustic

Amps and that:

Peavey Studio Pro 112
Behringer TU300 > GLX HM-100 > Boss Ds1 > Big Muff Pi Wicker > Artec ADL-2 > GLX EQ-100 > Rocktron Hush
Quote by Obder
And how good was it? I just want one to practice on. I don't want to buy some £120 skateboard and then never use it.
Is it durable enough to use it for like maybe until Christmas?

Well, the pivot bushing and the bolts broke a couple of weeks after I bought it, and I wasn't even doing something that put much pressure on it, I think I was learning kick flips at the time. I replaced them but then I got another skateboard, but it wasn't that bad, especially for the price.
I remember when I used to skate, good times.

I always ordered off of skatewarehouse.com

You might be able to find some nice deals on completes there for cheap.

Here's the list of complete boards on sale http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Sale_Completes/catpage-SALECOMPS.html

There's a couple for $54 which are decent boards and parts you might wanna check out.

Good luck
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by guitarist41
What you need is a new ramp.

Oh God that was hilarious! Good job.

TS, skateboards aren't incredibly expensive and easy to sell if you don't want them later. Just get a $50 Mini Logo, and a half decent set of trucks and wheels. It'll set you back like $150, no big deal
Get an Enjoi one, I don't know if you can get one for under £25 but any deck you can get for under £25 will be shite build quality any way.
This is a beaut.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

You're not going to find anything for your price range and have a good skateboard.

Local decks will be about $25-$35 Pro decks are usually about $45+
Then trucks, again $30-$45
Then wheels, $15-$25
Then hardware $2-$4.

Happy skating.
Quote by Black Rat 1214

Abec 7s (and with a little WD-40 they go like a beast)

Gah why WD40??

It is'nt a goddam lubricant D: its wax based and actually makes things worse in the long run, use 3 in 1 or something.

And to TS's question, you're not going to get anything "good" for that price unless youve got a mate you can buy a decent one in nice condition from.

Otherwise look to be spending around £50-£70 for a decent "cheap" setup
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
Actually, you can find blank completes in your price range that would work fine. Basically almost as good as name brand but just plain no bells and whistles, no graphic. Mini Logo or ATM are great if you don't mind spending a few extra bucks than a regular blank and are just as good as a pro board. You could start on one of those then upgrade if you get into it more.

Btw, never use WD-40 on your bearings.

Haha mythicaldude, never heard that one. Fruitbooter is one I remember skaters using to refer to inliners.
Last edited by space aids at Mar 28, 2011,
Quote by mythicaldude
Inline, It's better.
No one likes gays on trays

Whenever I see bladers I think of these.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
Whenever I see bladers I think of these.

Thats me down to a T.

Ts, i see why you don't want to spend alot on something you might not possiby like.
But there is no point buying a shitty board. Riding something from say, Argos is nothing like riding a decent board. Try out a freinds or something first, see if you like it.

But im a Binliner, so don't take my word for it.
Last edited by mythicaldude at Mar 28, 2011,
I got my first "real"-ish deck for about 100 euros. ATM deck with standard trucks/wheels/bearings etc. Pretty decent, used it for a year or two (not too hardcore).
I'm getting back to skating and got a decent deck off of a mate for 40 euros. Plan B deck, Thunder signature something trucks, proper wheels and bearings. He spent about 250-300 bucks putting it together though.
GEAR:
Ibanez SR605
Some 71' P-Bass
Orange Bass Terror 500 > Markbass 4x10
Check out Carboot sales. I know a kid who managed to pick up a pretty decent setup (read: fracture deck, indepent trucks, alien workshop wheels, fracture abec 7 bearings) for £5 at a carbooter. How do I know this. It was my setup and my mum sold it at a carboot sale. Mums with no idea are basically a gold mine for this kind of thing.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.