hi guys,
Iv found a cool stereo in the basement,and i want to attatch it to my amp.
But their isn't a input in the stereo where my guitar cable fits in,somone knows whitch cable fits in both my guitar and a stereo?
ps:sorry for my english

edit:speakers are like this : http://www.soundadviceblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/center_back_1.jpg
Grunge is my life
Last edited by Dusky at Mar 29, 2011,
Quote by Dusky
hi guys,
But their isn't a input in the stereo where my guitar cable fits in,somone knows whitch cable fits in both my guitar and a stereo?

Yeah...Im going to have to NOT recommend this. You could devise some bastardized set up to do it, but for the sake of not braking things, don't. It'll sound bad at best and broken at worst. Stereos and amps tend to not play nicely.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Short answer, no, don't even attempt it.

Long answer, stereos are not designed to be driven by guitar amplifiers, and the chance to screw things up is very likely.

And what's wrong with your amp that you would want to hook a stereo up to it?
If you want to hook your stereo up to your guitar, then you should use a multifx with amp/cab modeling. It will sound fine.
Quote by fly135
If you want to hook your stereo up to your guitar, then you should use a multifx with amp/cab modeling. It will sound fine.

I use my home stereo with big speakers and a yamaha sub hooked to my pc and run my line 6 gearbox sounds great.
Back in the 80's I used a small home stereo as a distortion box I ran my guitar into the input in the back with cable adapters and turned the volume all the way up to make it clip. then ran it into my amp with adapters. I used that for a punk band/hardcore band
Quote by fly135

Correct. You need to use a POD or something similar. Hook your guitar into this and the effects device into the line in. You can't plug a guitar straight into the stereo amp because the impedance levels are different.
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by Dusky
hi guys,

Here we go again.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
it's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.

damn, was beaten :'(

edit: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Jestersage/
that's the guy who posted it first... he got the hell of a spam on his comments page
Last edited by Darkflame at Mar 28, 2011,
Quote by Blick71
Yeah...Im going to have to NOT recommend this. You could devise some bastardized set up to do it, but for the sake of not braking things, don't. It'll sound bad at best and broken at worst. Stereos and amps tend to not play nicely.

so basically, what you're saying is - it's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.

amirite?

edit: there's actually no way to answer this thread without simply rephrasing the copypasta.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Mar 28, 2011,
311 sosov,yeah it looks like that
Ill google for a POD,is there one recomended?
Grunge is my life
so it's from line 6?
how can you connect it to something like this :
then?
Grunge is my life
it's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.

How come we don't get threads like that one in GG&A anymore.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
You people should stop making fun of this, not everybody knows some obscure old forum-joke, so stop spamming up the thread. As far as the amp is concerned, I think it's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
well this is kinda yerky of you guys....this is a forum where people ask questions,and like to get an answer to it....strange that you are acting like a 12-year old.
Grunge is my life
so anyone tht wants to answer,its like a hi-fi set,
speakers are like this

so probs i just need a cable that splits my signal into - and + i think....
Grunge is my life
Last edited by Dusky at Mar 29, 2011,
Okay, I'll be serious for a second. Guitar amps are not hi-fi. There is only one situation where you'd plug something into a full-range, hi-fi system like the stereo you found: If you have a line-level output with speaker-simulation on your amp. Modelling preamps often have something like this. In some guitar amps, there's also a headphones-out that can be abused for the same purpose - but that sounds like ass in 99% of cases.

In other words, don't bother. It's not a piece of guitar gear. Or as a smart man once said: "You're basically asking if you can use a book as a salami sandwich."

Can we move on with the protocol now? Because it's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.

Quote by Dusky

so probs i just need a cable that splits my signal into - and + i think....

No such thing. Every speaker has a negative and positive tap. All you'd need would be an adapter. If I recall correctly, the tip on a 1/4" speaker cable as used with guitar amps is positive, the sleeve is negative. (I might be mixing this up again, but then it doesn't matter, because: ) It's still a piece of hi-fi equipment, not intended for guitar.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 29, 2011,
Follow what Fly said earlier. Don't put a real amp in front of it. Everyone's trolling for teh lulz in remembrance of the epic lolitude of yesteryear. You can't use those speakers like a guitar cab would. Well, you could, but it'd require level 9 soldering wizardry. Don't do it, it's really not worth the risk of blowing anything.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
i wont,id use my boss with it or so,to test ....

No such thing. Every speaker has a negative and positive tap. All you'd need would be an adapter. If I recall correctly, the tip on a 1/4" speaker cable as used with guitar amps is positive, the sleeve is negative. (I might be mixing this up again, but then it doesn't matter, because: ) It's still a piece of hi-fi equipment, not intended for guitar.

i dont really get this...
Grunge is my life
Quote by Dusky
well this is kinda yerky of you guys....this is a forum where people ask questions,and like to get an answer to it....strange that you are acting like a 12-year old.

We already told you. Don't use it; you CAN'T use it.

Also there is no cable that splits a guitar signal into positive and negative.

EDIT: Duck: Ring is hot, tip is not, IIRC.
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Mar 29, 2011,
stratman,well it ise,years ago in school i had a friend who did the same....but i dont know him anymore :s
Grunge is my life
I do believe that it is a stereo amp, and am of the opinion that it is not tube. However, for an amp which seems to be a stereo amp, it is quite nice. Do not plug your musical instrument into it; just utilise it as a hi-fi system if it is in good working order.
Thanks, Jesse.

Quote by Dusky
i wont,id use my boss with it or so,to test ....

Still no use. Guitar amps (and especially speakers) have a very specific frequency response that makes guitars sound nice, more so when talking about distorted guitars.
Full-range systems, as the name implies, have a comparatively even frequency response, which means they'll respond to frequencies that a typical guitar speaker would suppress. Stuff higher than 7kHz. Basically, a guitar dirt box into a stereo sounds like fizz and white noise. It's not remotely usable for anything.

Quote by Dusky

A guitar or speaker cable looks like this. Note the little black ring near the top of each end. The silvery part above the ring is called the tip, the silvery part below it is the sleeve or ring. If you wanted to connect a guitar amp to the cab you posted a pic of, and didn't have an adapter, you could for example use cables with clamps on one end to connect the sleeve of the speaker cable (coming from the amp's output) with the positive connector on the cab and the tip of the cable with the cab's negative connector. Not a mechanically stable connection, but it'd work, though it'd still sound like total ass.
It depends on the tone you set up.

It could sound pretty decent depending on your amp. Amp simulation would sound pretty good for that though, and would be easier to set up.
Actually...

TECHINCALLY you could take a speaker jack, wire up the ring to the red terminal and the tip to the black......

It would still sound like crap, though.
--

--
^Yah, I was just suggesting using an actual speaker-cable and some clamps because that way you wouldn't need to solder to make it relatively stable.
The speakers hook up to the stereo. Use a cable like this to go between Boss headphone jack and the stereo input. Your Boss is a stompbox modeler so you need to use the headphone out.

Quote by Dusky
so it's from line 6?
how can you connect it to something like this :
then?

No. It is not made by Line 6, but they should jump on the stereo amp bandwagon. This particular unit is made by Sansui. Don't plug guitar into it. Just use as HiFi, it works.

Dusky - Can you post some pics of your unit? Some closer pics of the interfaces would be helpful as well.
Quote by Dusky

what he's saying is, it's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.

i think it's probably gonna be more hassle than it's worth trying to get that thing working as a guitar amp which is not what it was meant to do. you'd need the correct adaptors and some sort of amp modelling thing like a line 6 pod or boss GT10, at which point you'd have been better off just getting a proper guitar amp in the first place, as you'd get better results that way - this thing wasn't designed to be used as a guitar amp.

in short, what i'm getting at, despite all this childish spam that's obviously quite annoying, is that it's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i just cutted into a jack,connected the tip in the - and the sleeve to the +,and it kinda works yeey
Grunge is my life
Quote by Dusky
i just cutted into a jack,connected the tip in the - and the sleeve to the +,and it kinda works yeey

Wow.
Well whatever "kinda" works, "kinda" works I guess