Well, I have a gig comming up playing bass in the pit for a musical. I am BEYOND stoaked, as it's something i've been wanting to get into for a looooong time.

After talking to a few guys (and gal) that have been bassists for musicals... amateur as well as both on and off broadway... i was advised to have a 5 string ready, especially for modern musicals.

I have had approxemately 19569305 basses in the past 12 years, but only one 5 string... a hideously defective Brownsville Jazz bass clone. I owned it for about 30 hours before returning it

So, i went to our local used place with a couple pedals and a never-used combo amp as trade-fodder... so, with about $300 in trade in, i played a few basses in that price range... a few LTDs, a few Ibby SRs, a MiM Jazz 5, a Squier Jazz 5 Delux, A Yamaha, and even a G&L L2500 Tribute... While the G&L was in the running... i eventually settled on an Ibanez, the likes of which i have never seen!! It was marked at $380... but i've been going to this place forever, and ended up using the $300 trade-in and $29 cash...

Behold (via crappy cell pics)! My new-to-me 80's or 90's Ibanez CT Bass!!!

It plays like absoloute BUTTER. The spacing is superb, the action is wonderful (yay! Used gear-thats-already-set-up), and the tones are AMAZING. It has EMGs, but i can't recall which... my EMG experiences are few-and-far-between. I THINK it's active, but it has one of those huge back plates (like my 95 ATK300) i just haven't removed yet to be certain...

The ONLY draw-back so far is that it's neck heavy. Not the worst, but it's a bit awkward to balance while sitting... but i have a thick strap that i tightened the hell out of and it's right as rain now... though i look like a dork with a strap on while sitting....

ANYWAYS... i haven't been this stoaked about a NBD in a loooooong time!!! I may seriously be a 5-string convert!!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Last edited by Din of Win at Mar 28, 2011,
congrats, now you'll need a 6. and neat find, never even heard of that model. is it cvloser to an sr or an atk in neck shape?
no sir away a papaya war is on
Righteous find, man. Congrats.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by the_perdestrian
congrats, now you'll need a 6. and neat find, never even heard of that model. is it cvloser to an sr or an atk in neck shape?

I haven't played an ATK305/705, but i have played an SR 505.... So it's kiiinda hard to say. It does remind me of my ATK in regards to its depth. It's not AS narrow as an SR... but it's still pretty narrow. It does have almost the same headstock as an ATK, albeit different tuners... so i'd almost say it IS essentially an early version of an ATK neck with rosewood fingerboard and inlays.

Aesthetically, it kinda looks like the offspring of an Ibanez and a Yamaha....

The knobs are also a bit perplexing... it has 2 standard knobs, which are a master volume and a pickup blender (which works AMAZINGLY btw)... but there are also two stacked dealies, which are throwing me.... i haven't played with them a whole lot... but i think it's like the SR with a Mid Frequency/Mid bost-cut, and Bass boost-cut/Trebble Boost-cut...

Also... there seems to be harldy any info on it out there :/

The only CT basses i've seen that are like mine have different tuners, no pup-rings, and different pups all together...

"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Last edited by Din of Win at Mar 28, 2011,
Very nice man.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
It looks like a great find. HNBD! Enjoy it!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
You happened to find one my favorite Ibanez basses.

HNBD!!
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
That's one gorgeous looking bass!

How did you get into playing for musicals btw? It's something I'd love to do.
That's a rare bird there, and a great looking one at that. HNBD!
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
First Ibanez I've seen and liked in a while. Happy New Bass Day Din! Hope she serves you well.
And my eyes may be decieving me but are those pickup rings? Never seen that on single coils before. It kind of looks like someone's tried to cover up soapbar routing. A look under the hood should answer a lot of questions!
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone!!

Quote by dark Mass
You happened to find one my favorite Ibanez basses.

I never considered myself an Ibanez Guru... but i have a fair ammount of knowledge about them... but i had NEVER heard of this bass before i saw it!! It just really stood out, hanging up there, in a sea of SRs and LTDs!!

Quote by Flogger_92
How did you get into playing for musicals btw? It's something I'd love to do.

A mix of knowing the right people, lying, and stubborness haha, honestly... my girlfriend is a theatre person. She is on the board of a new scholorship program for theatre majors. For a fund raising event, they are putting on a musical!! But, beyond that, they are the second EVER amateur theatre company to be doing... Spring Awakening!!! When i found out that their usual bassist will be out of the country, i asked my girlfriend to namedrop me to the musical director! haha, i lied about being able to read music, got the music and spent a few hours figguring it out, auditioned it, and i got the gig

To be fair, i CAN read music... i started on Celo, but i transitioned to bass guitar when i was 15 (haha, 13 years ago)... so i haven't read music on a bass scale since then. BUT, i have done pit orchestras on Clarinet and Oboe since then, so i know what i'm geting myself into.

In any case, i'm stoaked!! Like many things it does seem to be about who you know... so if you're interested, find out who musical directors are in the local area. Email them and ask for a try-out! If it's anything like it was when i was playing a woodwind, it's a BLAST!

Quote by Spaz91
Looks a bit light for your tastes.

Hahaha!!! I know, right?! Man, i had some money problems last month and had to offload a few basses for money... one of the first ones to go was my T-40. I mean, i like that bass... but it was seriously botching my upper back and shoulder I tried putting the bridge and pups on another body, but i really think a lot of its tone comes from the fact it weighs a million-and-a-half pounds.

Now, this 5-er ain't light... but it's much more manageable than a lot of other basses Also, it's gonna be played, mostly, sitting down.

....man... i sound like one of those old dudes on TB... jsut stop me if i ever talk about selling all my basses and replacing them all with Danelectros!!

Quote by consecutive e
First Ibanez I've seen and liked in a while. Happy New Bass Day Din! Hope she serves you well.
And my eyes may be decieving me but are those pickup rings? Never seen that on single coils before. It kind of looks like someone's tried to cover up soapbar routing. A look under the hood should answer a lot of questions!

You and me both! I do love my ATK... but other than that, the Roadstar series, and the pre 80's Fender/Ric/Gibson copies... i'm not a huge aesthetical fan of ibanez either!

They ARE pickup rings!! As i said in my first post, it reminds me of a Yamaha, and that's exactly BECAUSE of the pup rings!! Check out the Yamaha BB:

The routing is solid!! You don't often see rings on single coils though... but i think that gives it a little personality!!
Last edited by Din of Win at Mar 29, 2011,
Quote by Din of Win
Hahaha!!! I know, right?! Man, i had some money problems last month and had to offload a few basses for money... one of the first ones to go was my T-40. I mean, i like that bass... but it was seriously botching my upper back and shoulder I tried putting the bridge and pups on another body, but i really think a lot of its tone comes from the fact it weighs a million-and-a-half pounds.

Now, this 5-er ain't light... but it's much more manageable than a lot of other basses Also, it's gonna be played, mostly, sitting down.

....man... i sound like one of those old dudes on TB... jsut stop me if i ever talk about selling all my basses and replacing them all with Danelectros!!

I'm thankful to be a bit of a giant. Means small basses look ridiculous but who wants them?