Hi guys,

This is my first post in the bass section so go easy on me

I am another guitarist that wants to buy a bass for some recordings and I was looking for something as cheap as possible without being too bad.

Now I saw that Shortscale basses are extremely cheap new so I was thinking of buying one. Especially this one http://www.thomann.de/nl/harley_benton_hbp90bk_shortscale_ebass.htm I heard the Harley benton stuff is pretty nice so that's how I came there.
But
- is this thing worth buying or is it just useless crap? (if not do you have suggestions)
- Am I better off buying a full scale bass in terms of sound etc?
- Are the pickups the same size as full scale basses so I can switch them out later on?

Thanks for reading
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
that particular bass sounds terrible. i'd suggest going for a fullscale, if only for the fact that shortscales look pretty gay.
I'M A COWBOY
if you want something on the way cheap lok at rondomusic.com

I would go for a full sized bass, shortscales always feel weird and sound muddy. I came from guitar so im used to small necks, but they just don't feel right.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I hiiiighly reccomend looking for something used.

110euros will get you a LOT more bass if put twards a used bass.

Do they have something like craigslist where you're at? Just scour that and be patient.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
There is some sort of Craigslist but all the basses there are still pretty expensive compared to a new bass. But I will look there.
Do you have any recommendations for a used bass for about 100 €?
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Look for a used Ibanez GSR or a used Squier VM Jazz. The Jazz being the better of the two
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Are the Squier p's worth 100 €? I think it's the cheapest squier available.
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Affinity series can be really hit and miss. Even then, the "hits" aren't that great. For Squiers you want the Vintage Modified, Classic Vibe, maybe some Artist series and maybe some Standard series if you find a gem.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Hypothetically speaking what do I get when it's a ''miss''? I am not looking for anything fancy just a bass to records some songs with.
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
I think one of the best cheap basses you can get right now is the Yamaha RBX170 it's about 100 euro ($179 US) it plays right out of the box which is rare at that price.

But if you can get a used Ibanez, go for it, they have nice thin necks and decent action.

Squires are pretty low quality, I agree with consecutive_e, they are really hit or miss.
Last edited by CheapBass at Mar 29, 2011,
Not all Squiers are hit or miss, just the lower range ones. I've never heard anyone complain about a VM or CV.
A miss would be all around poor contruction and unstable hardware. Tuners that don't hold tune very well, poor wiring, that kind of thing. There are a lot of horror stories about Affinty series Squiers out there as well as other lower price range instruments, just do some googling. Just don't take any reviews on shop sites to heart, most of them are people who don't know what they're on about or people who just wont admit to themselves that they bought a cheap piece of crap and it isn't the same as a MIA Fender.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
My first bass guitar was an epiphone. I would suggest an epiphone. They dont have the best tone in the world. but for $300 on the "okay models" you cant really lose. they hold up extremely well (sturdy), the tone is garbage, but not so bad that they are unplayable. Ive used mine for years and have even taken it to the studio. so yea. and yes I am fully aware that ive contradicted myself like 3 times. check it man.
For $300 you get a Squier VM Jazz which shits all over any current model Epiphone bass.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
For $300 you get a Squier VM Jazz which shits all over any current model Epiphone bass.

Agreed!!!

OP, I have a friend who has a Squire CV and a Squire VM he gig's and records with both. They are solid bass's don’t let the low price fool you. My friends VM holds its own with my MIM Fender P/J and was half the cost.

consecutive e is right man. You’re not going to get a lemon in Squires higher end models... so it's a very safe bet. With that being said you may actually get a diamond in the rough like my friend did. I know his VM suprized the hell out of the both of us. I almost wish I would have saved some cash and got one instead of my P/J… almost
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
No, that's true I should have clarified that not all of the Squires are bad, but I find the low end ones are as well made as a toyota gas pedal.

I find the Epiphone basses are pretty good, but they're one trick ponies, you won't get any versatility out of 'em... rock, punk that's about it. Plus you need to wear steel toes when you have an EB-3 or a Thunderbird IV on... quite the neck divers. I played a Thunderbird in my last band I found it to be nice and chunky with good treble.
Quote by CheapBass
No, that's true I should have clarified that not all of the Squires are bad, but I find the low end ones are as well made as a toyota gas pedal.

I find the Epiphone basses are pretty good, but they're one trick ponies, you won't get any versatility out of 'em... rock, punk that's about it. Plus you need to wear steel toes when you have an EB-3 or a Thunderbird IV on... quite the neck divers. I played a Thunderbird in my last band I found it to be nice and chunky with good treble.

i guaran-damn-tee that i can turn a Squier Affinity Whatever into a better playing bass for less money than i can an Epiphone.

I don't dislike the Gibson/Epi brand... but Squier stuff is just MUCH more easily modified thanks to the ubiquetous nature of availability of Fender style hardware.

I really don't think even the Affinity series is THAT bad... i just finished a pickup, pot, and tuner swap on my Affinity Bronco, and it plays better than any Fender Musicmaster or Mustang (vintage OR RI) i've ever played...

YMMV

I HAVE always wanted to do a Fenderbird project, though...
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by CheapBass

No doubt... Squires Affinity line is sketchy at best but you get what you pay. $150 of cheap lead paint and some ply wood... same as any company. But their CV and VM are comprable to MIM Fenders

OP, if you would like to hear a demo/review of a Thunderbird and any of the Suire CV bass's here area few links. FYI, on the Squire demo the guy plays each of the Squires then plays their Fender equivalant... so you'll get a really good idea of how they stack up to the Fender bass's they were modled after.

Squire - CV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaKXNtOaTkU&feature=related

Epi - Thunderbird
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaKXNtOaTkU&feature=related
Quote by MetlHed94

Quote by TheMooseKnuckle
No doubt... Squires Affinity line is sketchy at best but you get what you pay. $150 of cheap lead paint and some ply wood

Affinities have Alder bodies and I'm pretty sure lead paint is illegal.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Affinities have Alder bodies and I'm pretty sure lead paint is illegal.

That was a failed attempt at a joke...
Quote by MetlHed94

What do you guys think of OLP basses? Are they any good for the money you pay?
I sw one going for 200 € new.
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Quote by niels-uiterwaal
What do you guys think of OLP basses? Are they any good for the money you pay?
I sw one going for 200 € new.

I didn't know OLPs were still in production.

I haven't played one, and I've heard mixed things. But generally the things said have been more on the more positive side of things.
would they be versatile enough to go from punk to ballads? Or would it better to buy something else for that?
Gear:
----------------------
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant