Hi guys,

I have a friend, and he's considering of buying a head and cabinet. but he can chose between a 2x12" or a 4x12" and he asked me what would be the best but i didn't know. So maybe there's somebody of you who can help me. everybody who knows anything that could help and will post it is awesome

thanks alot
Tijl

oh btw, it's all Marshall
The 4x12 of course is bigger and louder sounding. Sometimes that is worse like in small rooms where it is just too much volume. Also you have to consider price per quality. I'd personally rather have a good quality 2x12 then a lower quality 4x12 (like Behringer, B52,etc).
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
2x12 if he doesn't gig much, but even then a 2x12 can be just as nice if you get a good quality one. The main reason being not having to lug around a 4x12 to and from a gig.

Personally I'd get a 2x12 and turn it on its side (so it sits on the short side and stands taller) when at a gig, and at home lay it on its longer side.
I own 2 4x12s and a 2x12 - Go with a nice high quality 2x12 unless you can afford the same quality in a 4x12, and don't mind having to move a giant box around if it needs to go anywhere.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
if you have the money sace and transportation for a good 4x12 then go for that by all means, but if your budget, space and/or transportation methods are limited then get a decent 2x12
Quote by rawkandrowl
The 4x12 of course is bigger and louder sounding. Sometimes that is worse like in small rooms where it is just too much volume. Also you have to consider price per quality. I'd personally rather have a good quality 2x12 then a lower quality 4x12 (like Behringer, B52,etc).

A 412 is NOT louder than a 212. The 4 speakers just move more air than the 212 (obviously) resulting in a "fuller" sound with a little bit of added low end.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by DroptuneD
A 412 is NOT louder than a 212. The 4 speakers just move more air than the 212 (obviously) resulting in a "fuller" sound with a little bit of added low end.

+1
"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions!"
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
No, you shouldn't pour beer on your guitar.
2x12 and angle/elevate it.

Job done.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by DroptuneD

I'll agree to disagree. It's really not worth arguing about. I googled it and there's a shit ton of threads you can read on this. The majority agree a 4x12 sounds louder but its one of those perennial endless debates and IMO a 4x12 is louder.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by rawkandrowl
I'll agree to disagree. It's really not worth arguing about. I googled it and there's a shit ton of threads you can read on this. The majority agree a 4x12 sounds louder but its one of those perennial endless debates and IMO a 4x12 is louder.

It's perceived as being louder because it's moving more air.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's perceived as being louder because it's moving more air.

Yup and perception of being louder is the same as being louder since loudness is a perceived/subjective concept anyway.

If you want to talk about the closest objective measurement then it would be sound pressure level which I believe that if I'm not mistaken, when more air moves, sound pressure level increases and thus it is "louder."

But anyway, this gets really nerdy really fast.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Being perceived as louder is what's important since it matters what people hear, not what a dbl meter tells you. I do, however, support the use of a 2x12 unless you really need a 4x12.
Quote by rawkandrowl
Yup and perception of being louder is the same as being louder since loudness is a perceived/subjective concept anyway.

If you want to talk about the closest objective measurement then it would be sound pressure level which I believe that if I'm not mistaken, when more air moves, sound pressure level increases and thus it is "louder."

But anyway, this gets really nerdy really fast.

Sure, but it also depends on the cab.

I've had 2x12 cabs that are A LOT louder than 4x12s. It depends on the design of the cab and the speakers in it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com