can i play a marshall jcm 900 2x12 combo through a 1936 2x12 cab so that all 4 speakers are being used and if so what tonal differences will i hear? will it be like a head through a 4x12 cab? if this is a stupid question im sorry.
Not a stupid question IMHO and I wish I had an answer. I will watch this post and hope some has some experience with this.
It depends, in all likelihood adding a 2x12 cab will give you a total resistance of 4 ohms which is probably not good for your amp. This is assuming, of course, that the output transformer in the amp is for 8 ohms resistance. It may be that you could do it with all new speakers, if you put 2 8 ohm speakers in series in the amp, and a 16 ohm 2x12 cab, you would have 8 ohms total, if the stock speakers in it total 8 ohms(2x16 ohm speakers) and you ad a cab, it may cause the smoke to be released from your output transformer(assuming it is for 8 ohms resistance.)
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
so would playing a 2x12 combo through a 2x12 cab just using the cabs speakers be pointless? wouldnt it just sound the same going through the amps speakers?
Quote by anderson80
so would playing a 2x12 combo through a 2x12 cab just using the cabs speakers be pointless? wouldnt it just sound the same going through the amps speakers?

Not if it was different speakers, closed back vs open back etc. I don't know the particulars of your amp, it very well may be designed to run an external 16 ohm cab along with the stock speakers, my experience with all the amps i've owned, however, shows that the ex speaker jack is sort of like nipples on a man, standard equipment, but useless.
Quote by CodChick

Look at the back of the amp, it should say, "Ex speaker X ohms total" or something like that. Next, look at the speakers, if you have 2x16 ohm speakers, it is probable that they total 8 ohms, 2x8 ohms speakers and it is likely that they total 16 ohms. That will tell you if you can safely run an ex cab along with the internal speakers.
Quote by CodChick