The European Commission wants cities to be free of traditionally fuelled cars by 2050, as part of ambitious plans for transportation. It would require investment of around 1.5 trillion euros.

Europe's cities could be free of petrol- and diesel-fuelled cars by 2050, under "very radical, very ambitious" targets set out by the European Commission.

Plans for the future of road, sea and rail networks in Europe were set out by EU Transport Commissioner Siim Kallas on Monday. The 'Transport 2050' strategy aims to cut the EU's carbon emissions by 60 percent and create a 'Single European Transport Area' with fully integrated transportation networks.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,14950081,00.html

Thought this would be relevant to a lot of people here. Is this a good idea? Too costly? Have an effect? I for one like the idea of the transportation networks, should make travelling in europe easer. Getting rid of petrol cars isn't a bad idea either, that's gonna happen sooner or later. Question is what you'll replace them with as electric cars still have some way to go in affordability and mobility.

Depending on which site you get the article from you you either get "wants to ban" or "aims to make cities free" of petrol cars. Fox news went with "wants to ban" so I went with the other one.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Good luck with that.

I agree with it, I just don't see it happening that soon, unless we run out of oil first
It's quite clearly not going to be a ban, the national governments, chief among them France and Germany, would never stand for that stab in their auto industries.

But this sounds like a very ambitious, very good idea.
I want it to happen and for the technology to be available to most people, but it's unlikely, but I can't tell what will happen in the future. We have the technology for non-petrol cars that can go as far as a normal car, it's just too expensive or impractical.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
I think this is a good idea. Have you ever tried to drive in a city? It's awful. People just lunge in front of your car and there's cyclists everywhere.

They'd just need to improve transport networks and provide more park-and-ride services
I can't see how this is a bad idea in any way.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
very great idea.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

They'd just need to improve transport networks and provide more park-and-ride services

there's your problem. I could see this, maybe, working in mainland europe where public transport is awesome and cheap, but in the UK where it's complete shite and REALLY REALLY ****ING EXPENSIVE, not so much.

My town doesn't even have a frickin' train station, for example.

It used to, but it was shut ages back (probably/allegedly due to backhanders from the haulage industry), when being green was seen as a character defect.

Forgive me now once there's been a paradigm shift that I'm maybe a bit dubious about it. If you'd wanted me to give up my car maybe you shouldn't have shut my train station (i realise it wasn't the EU that closed it, I'm being facetious).

EDIT: just to be clear, in principle it's probably a good idea. But a lot of other stuff needs to be done first.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
In the long term, it's obviously necessary, there's no doubt about that whatsoever. I'm no expert on this subject but from what I gather, electric cars are still bollocks, so the change won't happen for a while, but 2050 seems like a good target.

The European transport network idea sounds badass. Unfortunately I'll be doing most of my travelling in the next few years, before I have to get a job and a normal life and all that shit, so I probably won't get to use it properly.
and the british gov has already rejected it...
now extra flamey
Quote by I.O.T.M

Oil companies can.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by Dave_Mc
there's your problem. I could see this, maybe, working in mainland europe where public transport is awesome and cheap, but in the UK where it's complete shite and REALLY REALLY ****ING EXPENSIVE, not so much.

It used to, but it was shut ages back (probably/allegedly due to backhanders from the haulage industry), when being green was seen as a character defect.

Forgive me now once there's been a paradigm shift that I'm maybe a bit dubious about it. If you'd wanted me to give up my car maybe you shouldn't have shut my train station (i realise it wasn't the EU that closed it, I'm being facetious).

EDIT: just to be clear, in principle it's probably a good idea. But a lot of other stuff needs to be done first.

You never post in the car thead What do you drive?

I feel the same btw. I have to get to Bath tomorrow from Bristol (only 10 miles) it's a 30 minute journey in my car. Or, it's a walk, a bus, a train, another walk, another bus, another walk, taking 2 hours in total, if everything runs on time. Bullshit.
Quote by Dave_Mc

Damn man, where do you live?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Have you ever tried to drive in a city? It's awful. People just lunge in front of your car

In situations like this, I often find the accelerator works not only for my car, but the people too.

The EU can smd. If there were more petrol cars more people would buy petrol - so it would be cheaper. Right?
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Amsterdam knows what's up:

“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
(suzie) yeah, exactly.

I didn't even know there was a car thread

I drive a micra

EDIT: northern ireland, kensai
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
"Aims to make free of" is just a nicer way of saying "Wants to ban"

Good luck with that one. Don't see it happening
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by I.O.T.M

This. Seriously, is gasoline supposed to last forever?
Quote by Kumanji
UK has already said no. It'll never happen. I find this kind of aspiration severely ironic when the EU are shelling Libya in order to secure oil reserves.

Oh for ****'s sake, can you stop conflating everything into a big conspiracy? The EU is in no way NATO. With Germany opposed, I'd be very surprised if the EU even managed to endorse the coalition.

Even if they did, it would be the Council of Europe, not the Commission.

And since when has Europe listened to the UK? We're the dunces in the corner, and serves us right.
well most estimates see us running out of oil in less than 40 years, so chances are that target will happen without trying
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Fender 300CE T-Bucket
Dean DOF ML [For Sale]
Marshall AVT 2000 valvestate
Ibanez modified turbo tube screamer
Digitech RP250
B...But...We'll all be dead next year

*trollface.jpeg*
Quote by BladeSlinger
Oh God I lol'ed

Quote by Ēzio

Would you like to see my Soundcloud?
I love Padgea7x
Quote by Dave_Mc
(suzie) yeah, exactly.

I didn't even know there was a car thread

I drive a micra

EDIT: northern ireland, kensai

Not a train station in all of northern ireland? You guys should really get one
Quote by gabcd86

And since when has Europe listened to the UK? We're the dunces in the corner, and serves us right.

They listened when we said we didn't want the Euro POW!
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by Kumanji
UK has already said no. It'll never happen. I find this kind of aspiration severely ironic when the EU are shelling Libya in order to secure oil reserves.

I agree

That's a new one for me, agreeing with you on something
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Sounds like a good idea to me.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
From the article:

UK rejects EU call for city centre ban on petrol cars

But UK Transport Minister Norman Baker said it should not be "involved" in individual cities' transport choices.

"We will not be banning cars from city centres anymore than we will be having rectangular bananas," he said.

Someone should make a rectangular banana just to fuck with him.
Quote by Kensai
Not a train station in all of northern ireland? You guys should really get one

not in my town, lol
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
When I lived in England a car was a necessity. In mainland Europe, really not. I live in Berlin where the transport network is great by UK standards - its not that cheap(but they hardly ever seem to check for tickets so i travel for free).
its a self fulfilling prophecy, once the public transport is good more people cycle because they are less likely to be killed by angry motorists. if governments focussed on quality of life rather than the bottom line they would see that the short term pain of less tax money is totally worth it. be broke and happy than rich(read also broke but wasting money on unimportant shit) and miserable.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I think this is a good idea. Have you ever tried to drive in a city? It's awful. People just lunge in front of your car and there's cyclists everywhere.

I think cycling is a good thing, its just that we have no way to get through town without pissing drivers or pedestrians off it seems. Though I've never had too many problems, I wait at traffic lights, give way to cars and ride close to the curb so cars and buses can go past. Just seems that for every good person, you've got one whose the opposite.
Call me Matthew.