I started playing 3 months ago and have purchased some basic equipment. I have an Ibanez ART100 and a Peavey Vypyr 15. I like to play things like VH, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Metallica, etc. I like the sounds of the amp but it is irritating to manually change the dials to set up the different sounds. I went through and set up different presets but it is still irritating to have to find the right tiny button in my dimly lit basement. So what I'm getting at is, how unnecessary is a multieffects pedal with my amp?
I would say its pretty unneccesary with your amp but if you want to change to different effects in one stomp then a multi fx is probably the way to go if you're happy with your amp.
Doesn't the vypyr have some kind of footswitch that lets you control the amp?
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by joer526
I started playing 3 months ago and have purchased some basic equipment. I have an Ibanez ART100 and a Peavey Vypyr 15. I like to play things like VH, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Metallica, etc. I like the sounds of the amp but it is irritating to manually change the dials to set up the different sounds. I went through and set up different presets but it is still irritating to have to find the right tiny button in my dimly lit basement. So what I'm getting at is, how unnecessary is a multieffects pedal with my amp?

Wow, kids today...
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
bet you'd survive great in the 1700s with no electricity, instant worldwide contact, tv, antibiotics, anaesthetics, cars, etc. etc. bubb
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
bet you'd survive great in the 1700s with no electricity, instant worldwide contact, tv, antibiotics, anaesthetics, cars, etc. etc. bubb

Without the Internet I'd probably die of boredom.

Or from somebody offing me for RL trolling everybody too much as a source of entertainment.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Wow, kids today...

Gee mister. Someday I hope to know as much as you. Gosh, I'm sorry I wasted your time.
Quote by joer526
Gee mister. Someday I hope to know as much as you. Gosh, I'm sorry I wasted your time.

Damn right. Don't let it happen again.

Quote by Major Sparky
Doesn't the vypyr have some kind of footswitch that lets you control the amp?

I have the Vypyr 15 which does not have the footswitch potential.
Sell it for $50, buy Vypyr 30 for $150, buy Sanpera 1 for $50. It's a bit more, but so so worth it. The Vypyr is a practice amp that will last you years and years, and is an excellent investment. I can attest to that personally.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Wow, kids today...

i get the feeling he means he doesn't wanna go changing settings in the middle of a song, not that he can't be arsed to dial in his own tone...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Sell the Peavey and buy a little one-knob Fender Champ and a Fulltone or MXR distortion pedal....you'll sound so much better you don't need a bunch of different sounds.

I'm only half kidding.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Yeah, the Peavey 30 swap and Sanpera pedal might be worth it over a multi-fx pedal... the Vypyrs have a ridiculous amount of effects.

sonic is kind of right though... A better quality amp with less effects (but better ones) will give you a better tone in the end... but I guess it's a very specific one and you lose a degree of versatility.
Quote by Blompcube
i get the feeling he means he doesn't wanna go changing settings in the middle of a song, not that he can't be arsed to dial in his own tone...

That's how I'm choosing to interpret it.

Well to clear things up, I'm really trying to maximize my time by spending less on dialing in a sound and spend more on playing and practicing. Spending another $200 on gear is not an option. Also, I am a beginner and I don't really even know what "my sound" is, that's why I thought a multi fx would be the way to go. So, changing my initial question then, with a multifx am I better off getting a different amp or will mine be fine?
If you can't buy a Sanpera then don't waste money on a multifx when you have an amp with the amount of FX the Vypyr does. Seriously just suck it up and change it manually it takes 2 seconds to switch between sounds. If anything it'll give you practise messing with the EQ which is important.
If you're that new tyhen you should play everything clean and aim for note clarity, not cluttering up everything with effects.

At least that's what I was told iin 1991...
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
^ Dayum. What kind of modelers did they have back then?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^ Dayum. What kind of modelers did they have back then?

Cindy Crawford, Erika Eleniak and Elle Macpherson, youngster.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Slap-happy
Cindy Crawford, Erika Eleniak and Elle Macpherson, youngster.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by joer526
Well to clear things up, I'm really trying to maximize my time by spending less on dialing in a sound and spend more on playing and practicing. Spending another $200 on gear is not an option. Also, I am a beginner and I don't really even know what "my sound" is, that's why I thought a multi fx would be the way to go. So, changing my initial question then, with a multifx am I better off getting a different amp or will mine be fine?

You should be practicing right now instead of asking these questions.
Seriously you have no reason to be buying any gear for awhile at least 6 months.
Focus on playing maybe get lessons thats money well spent if you find the right teacher.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by slipknot_420
You should be practicing right now instead of asking these questions.
Seriously you have no reason to be buying any gear for awhile at least 6 months.
Focus on playing maybe get lessons thats money well spent if you find the right teacher.

I'm glad my dad made it to the discussion.

That's the point. I want to spend more time actually practicing guitar not practicing amp settings. We're talking about a $40 pedal not a $2000 guitar, amp, etc. I bought it, am using it, and love the sound I get out of it and ease of use. If I had it to do again, I wouldn't have bought the Vypyr. But I did, so until someone wants to trade at worst even up for something better that isn't a modeling amp, I'm going to rock on.
Quote by joer526

no, just no. you do know that you can save presets on the vypyr right? you can press a button and instantly load your tone, its that simple
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.