Do digital MFX processors (i.e. Digitech RP1000) work well with tube amps (i.e. Mesa Roadster)? When I play through the headphone jack, the effects (flanger, in particular) sound good, but when I switch on the same effect on my Mesa, it turns my tone in garbage and has no (good) effect whatsoever.

I'm pretty sure the answer is no (at least, I think that's what I've read before), but I want a second opinion, as I'm trying to avoid spending $34983467918273 on pedals.

Thanks!!!
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Quote by dopelope
Didnt you already spend an arm and a leg on that amp? Whats another fifty bucks for a pedal?

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be an extra $50 to convert from MFX to stompboxes. I'm more interested in the big picture though: do MFX not work well with tube amps, in general.
Ive used a smaller Digitech pedal through a smaller tube amp and I though it sounded great. It was also much cheaper equipment so I wont dare say your stuff sucks but maybe its just your levels? A bad speaker? bad wires? I really have no clue. Sorry. I get your point about switching from MFX though, all I use is a small MFX myself.
turn your rp100 to no amp setting and just use the effects you want...if you try to use the on board amp modeling it sounds like crap. I have rp 250 that I run through an egnator amp.
I use the no amp setting or just the blackface amp. use the rp for effects like delay and phase and stuff but get my gain/distortion from amp. or i use my distortion pedal for gain/distortion.
I am to familiar with the roadster...is it a multi channel amp?? i.e. clean and dirty channel?
Quote by dopelope
Ive used a smaller Digitech pedal through a smaller tube amp and I though it sounded great. It was also much cheaper equipment so I wont dare say your stuff sucks but maybe its just your levels? A bad speaker? bad wires? I really have no clue. Sorry. I get your point about switching from MFX though, all I use is a small MFX myself.

I don't think it's any of that, because the amp sounds great on it's own and so does the Digitech.
So are the effects of effects (hope that makes sense) more or less effective on tube amps?
Would it be better to run the Digitech trough the amp's effects loop?
Quote by Madcarp
turn your rp100 to no amp setting and just use the effects you want...if you try to use the on board amp modeling it sounds like crap. I have rp 250 that I run through an egnator amp.
I use the no amp setting or just the blackface amp. use the rp for effects like delay and phase and stuff but get my gain/distortion from amp. or i use my distortion pedal for gain/distortion.
I am to familiar with the roadster...is it a multi channel amp?? i.e. clean and dirty channel?

I have the Amp/Cab Bypass switch on, and I'm also using it for effects only (unless I'm playing though headphones). The Roadster is a four channel amp (2 clean, 2 distortion).
also on these rp's you have to dial back the eq some when using higher power amps...treble mostly.
I run my setup like this... guitar-wah-distortion pedal-rp250(for effects either on blackface or no amp setting)-amp. I use clean channel on amp when i run my own distortion with pedal.(this way i can switch from clean to dirty by stepping on pedal). Or i turn distortion pedal off and run amp on dirty channel for amp drivin' drive. Still using rp for effects.