I have about $550 to spend on a new guitar. I play metal, and I have a pair of blackouts that i can put in what ever guitar I get. I'm just looking for a guitar with a big thick and heavy mahogany body that will sound chunky and huge. Closest city is reno. I'd prefer new, but I'm open to used if it looks like something that is worth it.
Any Ideas?
Thanks
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Bump
GEAR
Bump
GEAR
Your guitars are misleading to me, XD

Do you like flat necks or thick necks?

When I read thick mahogany body I thought Epi LP. Or Agile LP.

Also what kind of metal?

A flatter neck may be preferable for shredding.
if you got some pups, get an ibanez
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Jaredmkl
I have about $550 to spend on a new guitar. I play metal, and I have a pair of blackouts that i can put in what ever guitar I get. I'm just looking for a guitar with a big thick and heavy mahogany body that will sound chunky and huge. Closest city is reno. I'd prefer new, but I'm open to used if it looks like something that is worth it.
Any Ideas?
Thanks

Calm down on the thread bumps, if you go 12-24 hours without a response then bump. First thing that came to mind for me was an Epiphone Les Paul. They certainly qualify for heavy and mahogany.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
Im selling my Ibby XD haha and the schecter is a hand me down from a good friend so I wana keep it but its not my favorite haha. I'm not shredding, Ima rhythm player. And I'm playing metal core and southern metal. I dont want another Ibby the bodies are way to thin. I don't like buying guitars online, I like play them in person first. I was thinking epiphone, but I didn't know if there was anything else.
GEAR
Quote by nitestick
Calm down on the thread bumps, if you go 12-24 hours without a response then bump. First thing that came to mind for me was an Epiphone Les Paul. They certainly qualify for heavy and mahogany.

Sorry. I got moved to page two

EDIT: Do any of the cheaper non-chambered Gibson lp's sell for around 600 used? Or is a Epi LP custom better then the cheaper Gibsons?
GEAR
Last edited by Jaredmkl at Mar 28, 2011,
How thick are the bodies on those? I'm a bit PRS fan, but our local PRS dealer doesn't sell se models
GEAR
Schecter guitars have really nice heavy deep tones for metal and are really affordable. I find them kind of hard to do pinch harmonics with though, but the quality is amazing for the price.
Pinch harmonic responsiveness is probably more to do with the pickups the way I understand it. I'm sure if you find a Shecter with the right pickups they'll squeal. On that note I'm really disappointed with the pickups on my latest guitar when trying pinch harmonics I can't get a strong response
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
I own a schcter, I've actually owned a few, I think I'm gonna stay away from this this go around.

I've always found that the guitar has alot to do with pinch harmonics, along with the pick up. If the guitar doesn't have many sweet spots, your squeals won't come off in many places, and some guitars just don't like to squeal.

The right pick ups help to, they just have to be on the hotter side though.

String gauge helps to, if you play with Really thick strings and your not tuned very low you'll lose your harmonics.
GEAR