What's good everyone,
I need some advice regarding a new setup I plan on saving up for. I'm currently a guitarist but I am about to make a switch to the bass for a few reasons. I'm mainly making the switch so I can find a group easier. Since there are too many guitar players out there, being in a group and looking for a guitarist won't be an issue. It's the complete opposite when it comes to finding a bass player. Let alone a talented one. So with that said, I plan on saving a lot for a new setup but I could use some advice as to what I should save up for. What I'm most concerned about is the quality of sound while playing live sets. I have my eyes set on a Fender Jazz and an Acoustic amplifier. But the thing is there are different models that are similar but the price difference almost doubles the lower end models. For instance, the MIM Fender Jazz is 600 and the MIA is 1200. Also the B200h half stack is 549 and the b600h half stack is 1000. Is there a difference in sound between these four products? If the difference isn't remarkable then I would like to save some money and go for the cheaper options. At the same time I feel like spending the extra bucks would be a lot more worth it later on down the line. Any information regarding either the amplifier or the guitar than your advice would be greatly appreciated. Also please no flaming, you can call me a failed guitarist, whatever I really don't care because I'm confident in my personal style and although I may be considered "average" I've worked hard over the past years to have the knowledge about what I do.
Thanks
The U.S.A.-made Basses generally have much higher build quality, but sometimes you'll find a "diamond in the rough" Mexican bass.
Honestly there isnt anything wrong with the MIM basses. Ive played Americans that i didnt like compared to my mexi jazz. As for the amp, Acoustic is good. Almost bought one but i found a used gk head and cab for 300, so i went with that. The 600 is a higher wattage amp than the 200 obviously, so you see why there is a price difference yes? Tone wise, the amps are similar
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
Is the better craftmenship really worth the extra 600? Are the pickups the same too? I understand the difference in wattage is worth the extra money but if the sound is the same than I might as well go with the lower end model. Could I add a cabinet to that later on to increase the output? Or will I need to buy a new head for that too?
the acoustic b200 puts out 120 watts at 8 ohms. if you add another cabinet (making the load 4 ohms) it will push out the full 200. I've never played a B600H but my B200H is sweet. I run it through the matcing 410 cab and its awesome and loud.

the difference between an mim fender and a mia fender is just about everything. better wood better QC better pups better bridges etc. I would just get an mim and then mod it if it were me though.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Right, I could always upgrade the pickups if I'm not satisfied with the sound. That makes sense. So you're saying if I add another cabinet to the half stack to make it a full stack than it will be able to work right? I won't blow the head by running it through two cabinets of the same size right? Just making sure..
nah you'll be fine as long as you match the ohms. make sure both cabs are 8 ohms (the acoustic B115 and B410 are both 8 ohms) and you'll be good.
no sir away a papaya war is on
The acoustic amps are ok imo, but they are transparent. That could be good or bad depending on what tones you want. By transparent; I mean that that amp will bring out the guitar's wood and not provide as much color in tone compared to an Ashdown, Ampeg (which I prefer) or a G.K. Guitar Center has a contract with Acoustic and therefor are priced o.k. But acoustic amps are by no means bad. Alot of music schools bass departments have them on hand for recitals and lessons, including mine.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Quote by PMichael
Also please no flaming, you can call me a failed guitarist, whatever I really don't care because I'm confident in my personal style and although I may be considered "average" I've worked hard over the past years to have the knowledge about what I do.
Thanks

Why would we call you that? We are nice folk, except that one time i was an ass.

Anywho, I have never experienced any of those nice things you mentioned.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
I'm not saying this forum has a reputation for immaturity. That's just what I expect from any forum. I've always liked this website and I'm glad it's forum is filled with good people who actually know a thing or two. Thanks for all the help though, I appreciate it very much. I'm pretty set on what I want but I'm going to check out a local Carvin factory to see if they have any options for me before I make some purchases. Thanks again.
We're the big kid's forum... Most of the time.
Acoustic amps are great "bang for buck" amps. They're not anything super special but they're good for the price. So what's your overall budget?
If you're willing to look used you'll find a lot better gear for your money.
Here's some cool shit I found on your local craigslist:
MIA Jazz - $800
Acoustic B600H w/ Acoustic 810 cab - $500
Gallien-Krueger 700RB Head - $325
Ampeg SVT 410he cab - $160
Ampeg SVT-3 PRO head - $500
Ibanez SR500 - $350
215 Mesa Powerhouse Cab - $400
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
yeah I'm trying to get ahold of the guy with the MIA jazz. That acoustic stack is a steal, I may have to buy that off of him. Thanks for looking that up man I didn't see that before. So I went to GC yesterday to get some questions answered and mess around on the acoustics and the basses. He basically told me if you want to play live shows and have your sound the way you want it to be then the larger amp is the way to go. Also the differences between the MIA and the MIM are minimal yet crucial at the same time. So I think I'm going to save up for both the b600 and the MIA jazz.
PMichael- From my experiance on needing a big amp/cab for show's it's kind of overrated.

It's nice to be able to play un mic'ed. But alot of places "atleast in my neck of the woods" will mic your rig or use a DI and run you through the house PA regardless. That way your volume is equal everywhere in the place and so the house sound tech has control over your volume as well everyone else in the band.

Technically you could run through a pod in most cases and never even need an amp/cab "atleast here anyway"... but there is something to be said about playing on your own rig and stage presence
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Mar 30, 2011,
Out of the list of craiglist stuff I posted I'd take the GK and the Mesa cab or the SVT-3 and the Mesa cab. The Acoustic rig is just 600 watts of "meh-ness" through eight speakers of "meh-ness". The GK or Ampeg with the Mesa cab will spew awesome all over the place. Remember you can always try and negotiate with the seller for a lower price.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Mar 31, 2011,