Okay so here's the deal.

I have a Gibson ES-135. I've had it for a few years now and I absolutely love the thing. It's played like a dream. Lately, I've had a problem with it though. The high E string has become out of tune on higher up frets. I thought it was just bad strings, but I've changed them and I'm getting the same result. I'll pluck the string on the 12th fret and it'll sound like F instead of E. This guitar stays in room temperature so I don't see how the neck could have possibly warped.

Pretty much when I play any note from the 12th fret up on the high E string, it sounds a whole step higher than it is supposed to.

What in the world has happened and how do I fix it? (Also, I apologize if this isn't the right place to post this.)
WE ARE THE NIGHTMARE
Intonation. You need to move the high E saddle at the bridge further back. The futher back you move it, the flatter the notes will go from the 12th fret onwards. Obviosuly if you move it too far back then notes will start going too flat, so move it back a little, tune up and check, move it a little, tune up and check, and so on.
intonation ain't gonna make it sound a full step up man.

are you sure it's a full step TC?
Quote by grohl1987
Intonation. You need to move the high E saddle at the bridge further back. The futher back you move it, the flatter the notes will go from the 12th fret onwards. Obviosuly if you move it too far back then notes will start going too flat, so move it back a little, tune up and check, move it a little, tune up and check, and so on.

I will try this and post results afterward.
WE ARE THE NIGHTMARE
Quote by trashbeast
intonation ain't gonna make it sound a full step up man.

are you sure it's a full step TC?

It's very close!

EDIT: I left this out, but the 11th fret sounds like what the 12th fret is supposed to sound like as well.

EDIT#2: Okay, I tried was the second poster said, and it didn't change anything. I might end up having to take it into the shop and getting an expert to look at it or something.
WE ARE THE NIGHTMARE
Last edited by AnoKid09 at Mar 28, 2011,