Alright so the title kinda says it all. for some retarted reason, when I play my guitar (esp h 351nt) i have NO luck getting pinch harmonics on my bridge pickup which is an emg 81. and im trying to put 2 and 2 together on this because zakk wylde uses the EXACT same pickup and he can get his les paul to SCREAM! oddly enough, i can get pinch harmonics all day on my neck pickup which is an 85...i dont know whats wrong, I play 1.0mm picks on 12-56 gauge strings in Drop B tuning through a Line 6 Flextone III. I have a squire strat thats loaded with a humbucker and i can get pinch harmonics no problem on it to so im doubting its my technique but i dont know...help???
that is odd; try switching the 85 with the 81 using the quick connectors and see what that does, it could point us in the right direction maybe
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I assume you're pinching directly above the bridge pickup? Pinch elsewhere, further towards the neck pickup with your bridge pickup selected. A harmonic is when you divide the string into x number of equal parts, and the nodes in between those parts (where you pinch) don't vibrate. A non-vibrating string above the pickup = nothing for the pickup to... pick up. And if you can't get pinch harmonics on the bridge if you do them further away from the bridge... hell if I know!
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Ne0Assass1n
It's mainly technique.

This
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Ok but my technique shouldnt change between guitars should it? i mean when i hit the harmonic its just barely in front of the bridge pickup for both guitars. and i cant really switch the emg's that quickly because for some reason, my emg's are still soldered. ive considered buying different pickups like blackouts but im not sure it would work and I dont wanna put down 200$ for pickups.
You can get pinch harmonics on an acoustic guitar. The difference is how it's going to sound. It just takes getting comfortable/used to a particular guitar and your muscle memory will remember all the sweet spots for getting them to sing.
There's way more than 1 harmonic between the end of the neck and the bridge. Just experiment and move your hand around. Sooner or later you will find the sweet spot for your bridge pickup.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I think it's just you, I could get destructive pinch harmonics on my Squier when I had dual EMG 81's in it in any position, course, different pickup positions made certain pinch harmonic stand out more, and other less noticeable.

If all else fails, attempt to use more gain, not the best idea, but if you fail, go to the extreme just for the hell of it.
it probably is me. my assumption is that I learned to play on pinch harmonics on a guitar with a bolt on neck and a low trem and low action. so moving over to a totally different guitar and expecting the same outcome in pinch harmonics was my fault. i might end up selling my esp and buying a blacktop series telecaster and put tom anderson pups into it and let that baby scream! im just to lazy to have to re learn pinch harmonics
Quote by Ne0Assass1n
It's mainly technique.

Im sure the pickups have something to do with it?
I heard if you try to pull the pinch harmonic directly over the neck pickup which using that pickup it wont sound as effective?
Also i use one of my schools guitars with single coils and my pinch harmonics sound like crap..
may just be me i suppose
Last edited by greeneyegat at Mar 29, 2011,
It's still possible to achieve pinched harmonics from either the bridge or neck, it's more the fact that different guitars respond when compared to others. Just keep searching around for that node point on the string, not exactly hard...
I kinda figured it out, my technique wasnt to out of wack, I learned that EMG's need to be as close to the strings as possible to get harmonics easier. so i raised it and now i can get pinch harmonics no problem!
I have 3 guitars and 5 amps, and I'm not the best person in the world at pinch harmonics. But I do know that some guitars and certain amp settings make it a lot easier to hit pinch harmonics (especially when using something to boost the mid range).
It's great you mentioned Zakk Wylde. He is one sure-handed player, and he's great at these types of harmonics.

Try moving your pick hand a couple of millimeters closer to the bridge, then try it. Then a couple more millimeters, then try it. If you're not having any luck, try moving your pick hand closer and closer the other direction, a few millimeters at a time.

Although the music notes for pinch harmonics sound "wild", it's actually one of the most precision-oriented aspects of guitar playing.

If you have a humbucker in the bridge, you're probably just missing the sweet spot by few millimeters. The location of your pick hand is up and down the strings train track is very important. A slight adjustment along the track could be all that it takes.

Someone mentioned acoustic guitars earlier. That's a good point. You should be able to hit pinch harmonics all day long on an acoustic.
Last edited by tmcdaniels at Mar 31, 2011,
I can make it happen on both pickups, but when I'm set in the lower position I can pretty much get them anywhere.

I've been trying to make myself better at the neck pickup, just because I play on it a lot and find it very useful for soloing. It's sort of working but I have a 40% fail rate
: )