Page 1 of 2
Hi, fellas. My gf wanna learn guitar. So I'm looking for a nice guitar for female. (She's a smart girl and we're in Broomfield now, if it helps) My budget is around 200 bucks.
My research indicate that I can get this Dean Vendetta Electric Guitar. How do u think about it? Is it a nice first guitar?? Any advice??
I've not had a lot of experience with Dean electrics, but I usually hate their acoustics. Personally I think you can't go wrong with a Squier strat as a first guitar. Can last long into ability and not a huge pricetag if she decides she'd rather have nice fingernails than play guitar.
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
I don't know why a guitar would be any different for a girl than a guy, but I'd look for a Squier Strat of some sort. They get way more flak than they deserve, and they're great, cheap starter guitars, then get a 15W Peavey Vypyr practice amp. That'll set her up for a while.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
The guitar you are looking at is decent. My dad owns it. It is definitely a starter guitar, but it is pretty nice for a starter guitar.
how do you define a guitar for a female? id say fluorescent pink and purple, but the 80's proved that wrong.

how about one that whines and has trouble with feedback?
Quote by TJHague
The guitar you are looking at is decent. My dad owns it. It is definitely a starter guitar, but it is pretty nice for a starter guitar.

really? so glad to hear about that.
Yeah, grab a strat. One advantage I find is that they are really light, which makes me feel a lot more comfortable with the guitar (especially as someone who moved from classical guitar)
Quote by surfsurf
Hi, fellas. My gf wanna learn guitar. So I'm looking for a nice guitar for female. (She's a smart girl and we're in Broomfield now, if it helps) My budget is around 200 bucks.
My research indicate that I can get this Dean Vendetta Electric Guitar. How do u think about it? Is it a nice first guitar?? Any advice??

Do NOT get a dean for your first guitar. If you are going to go for quality AND looks go for an ESP LTD. A nice one would be the MH100QM. Hope I helped!
i dont know guys, some acoustics are "specially carved" to be more comfotable sitting down. i know atleast daisy rock does this (my friends first actual guitar and hers is alot different than my epiphone dreadnought)

and shes played both my epiphone and her daisy rock, she orefers her guitar a million times over, but she can manage to play decently on mine, and thats huge, so to the TS's gf, she sould be fine with something like a squire strat
I don't see why the gender of the person playing the guitar matters. You might as well be asking "what's a good piano for a black man?" or "do gay people like grilled cheese sandwiches?".

You can't go wrong with one of the better Squiers. Squier's Telecasters tend to be more reliable than their Strats though which is worth thinking about for any beginner as reptitive problems can easily put a new player off of learning.
Epiphone G-400s are really good for the money too. Just be aware their necks are somewhat thick which can be annoying for some people to learn on.
Agile, Vintage and Tokai also make a wide range of lower-priced guitars that would be fine for a beginner. Keeping to the usual Strat/Tele/LP/SG style guitars will be fine.
Yamaha Pacificas can be good too, as an alternative to a Squier Strat.

Really though so long as you just stay away from guitars with cheap Floyd Rose copies then you're fine. The differences between all the hundreds of beginner guitars out there isn't much.
Quote by grohl1987
I don't see why the gender of the person playing the guitar matters. You might as well be asking "what's a good piano for a black man?"

easy question, a white one. seemed to work for kanye west... actually can that dude even play piano?
ok well im gonna be blunt with it now

its doesnt matter, like honestly the TS would be fine with any electric, but gender matter for guitars becuase of the chest cutaways on the back, apparently some are more comfortable for girls because the cutaway accomadates room for the girls breasts and doesnt sit akwardly against them
I think what he means is one that is going to be comfortable for a female, i.e. smaller hands, etc.
Anything cheap will do, it doesn't have to be amazing for just beginning.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
My girlfriend likes Telecasters and Gretsch White Falcons.

The answer is "ask her". Everybody has different preferences. Just make sure that the money spent is on a good instrument. Deans tend not to be good instruments for their price points. I second the Fender Squire, and alternatively a Yamaha Pacifica or Agile or whatever else has been recommended hundreds of times on this forum.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I love peaveys as starter instruments. but for a girl I dunno man, let her pick one out, if it feels comfortable for her get it. just stear her away from bad guitars.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Hello Kitty Squire
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Used Ibanez RG321 or RG2EX1. Best guitars in the beginner budget bracket IMO. Ibanez blows away every other company at that price point, from what I've experienced. Do not get a Dean that cheap. I've been down that road. I would be no decent human if I didn't warn you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by jsync
how do you define a guitar for a female? id say fluorescent pink and purple, but the 80's proved that wrong.

that is great. hahahaha
dellinger got in there before me

what about an emily strange sg? if you can find one used

or yeh the hello kitty strat lol

or failing the ornamental stuff a squier strat would surfice, maybe if you wanna throw a few more notes at it the classic vibes ones they are outstanding for thje price.
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Fender Greta + 1x12 Homemade cabinet - For sale PM for details.
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 - Goldtop
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Quote by COBHC912
I wont choose any dean for a female !! Squier strat sounds perfect!!

Squier strat ? which model do u suggest to go with??
The best starter guitar is without a doubt the Yamaha Pacifica.
It has the best quality/price ratio.

If you don't believe me, just google for some reviews.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
i've got a vendetta 1.0 and while it's a good guitar, for a beginner i dunno. GRG170DX would be what i'd get, squiers are nothing other than crap, trust me.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Go with either a Yamaha Pacifica or a Squier starterpack.
For a beginner those will work nicely.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by Dempsey68
squiers are nothing other than crap, trust me.

I don't.

Nor it seems do quite a few others here, given that the overwhelming majority of recommendations have been FOR a Squier strat.

As to the question posed,

There are two Squier Strats hanging in my guitar room, and they are both perfectly competent instruments. 2 GIO's as well, a GRX and a GAX, and either of them would work just fine for the question posed, as would the Pacifica suggested earlier (which I do not have, but have played).

However, unless the OP is insistent on making this a 'surprise', the best advice would be to take her and show her a selection of reasonable beginner instruments and let her choose.

It's always better received to get a person what they actually want rather than what you want them to have...
Quote by Dellinger1988
Hello Kitty Squire

I came here to say this, either this or one covered in glitter
Quote by jsync

Maybe find yourselves a decent noise gate first.

Squier all the way, good neck-profile so she can go thinner (Wizard II necks on most solid-body Ibanez guitars) or thicker (Gibon, Epiphone, ESP, every single semi/hollowbody guitar as well) when she decides it's time to step up. Decent pickups, a tremolo that can actually work without detuning contantly if she's lucky, available in multiple colours and it's not like she needs 24 frets right from the get go.

Gender would not even be a problem with that guitar either. I think most men would prefer their girl to play guitars with 'ergonomic cutaways' :P
Last edited by Lord_Doku at Mar 29, 2011,
i would recommend a Yamaha Pacifica. It is a really nice starter guitar with a real nice feel to it. ive seen people who have had theirs for years because it plays so well.
Stuff that I bought:

Washburn WM24V
Raven RG100 Amplifier
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal

Quote by jsync
how do you define a guitar for a female?
Quote by jsync

like everyone says except for the couple special people.. squire strats, especially the standard series, id stay away from the bullet series and the affinietys can be hit or miss.. but the standard, classic vibe and vintage modified series are really solid guitars
Honestly, my only recommendation for you is to take her to a Guitar Center or your local guitar shop and have her "try out" the lower priced electrics. And when I say "try out", I mean have her hold each guitar and find which is the most comfortable and easy to hold.

Squire Strats are okay for beginners, but there are many better guitars for beginners out there for around the same or slightly higher prices, particularly Ibanez's lower end stuff. Still, best thing to do is find what guitar she finds is the most comfortable and that she likes the best.
Page 1 of 2