Any suggestions? I plan on getting a Class 5 and replacing the tubes and speaker. I've heard the stock tubes are JJ and I know the speaker is a Celestion 10 inch. How would a greenback sound in it? What tubes would give the best 60's Marshall tone? It uses 1 EL84 in the power amp and 2 ECC83 (12AX7) tubes in the preamp. And what about an attenuator? I don't want to pay $200+ for one, wouldn't a $5 10 watt L-Pad work? Any mods for a better Plexi tone? What about adding a Bright input? Is there any possible way to put a KT66 in there?
Would Mullards sound good? I don't have the money for NOS Mullards, but I've heard good things about the new ones.
Last edited by plexi123 at Mar 29, 2011,
I found this on My Les Paul forum, anyone tried this?

"Resistors (all 1/2W or 1W):
1M (x3)
1.8K (can really be anything between 1.5K and 2.7K)
220K (x2)

Capacitors:
1 uf
4.7-10uf (you can use the old C8)
120pf-500pf (bright cap)
470p/500p (you can reuse C10 for this if needed)
22n 400v or higher (x2)

On those 22n caps, you can reuse C13 for C20 and you can move the original C20 to C2, and then you don't have to buy any caps for these places.

A little bit of 22 gauge wire for jumpering C13 and for connecting the optional switches.

A little bit of 18 gauge wire for the headphone jack mod.

Two SPDT mini toggle switches if you want all the options (can be skipped)"

There is a lot more, here's the thread: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squawk-box/123816-some-mods-marshall-class-5-a.html
it's a 5 watt amp with almost the same topography has a valve junior. there's almost nothing really you can do to it without drastically changing the amp.

An l pad attenuator will not work and will destroy your amp.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
An l pad attenuator will not work and will destroy your amp.

That is incorrect in every way. Most attenuators are L-pad attenuators since they keep the impedance the same.

You can buy the resistors to make your own, calculator is here
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-Lpad.htm

I don't know much about the class 5 so I can't comment right out but if I get a chance to look at the schematic I'll check it over. You likely won't be able to get it to sound like most of the older marshalls due to the EL84, but you could tweak the biasing a bit and a few other things to change the amp a bit.
Quote by XgamerGt04
That is incorrect in every way. Most attenuators are L-pad attenuators since they keep the impedance the same.

You can buy the resistors to make your own, calculator is here
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-Lpad.htm

I don't know much about the class 5 so I can't comment right out but if I get a chance to look at the schematic I'll check it over. You likely won't be able to get it to sound like most of the older marshalls due to the EL84, but you could tweak the biasing a bit and a few other things to change the amp a bit.

That's what I thought! I disagree with most of the things AcousticMirror says, especially with the L-Pad and the Class 5 being like a Valve Jr. It really is nothing like one except that it's 5 watts and uses an EL84. It has 2 12AX7s, and the classic Marshall tone stack. And a different OT. Different circuit completely. It's like saying an Engl SE EL34 and Super Lead are almost the same because they are 100 watts and use EL34s.
Quote by plexi123
That's what I thought! I disagree with most of the things AcousticMirror says, especially with the L-Pad and the Class 5 being like a Valve Jr. It really is nothing like one except that it's 5 watts and uses an EL84. It has 2 12AX7s, and the classic Marshall tone stack. And a different OT. Different circuit completely. It's like saying an Engl SE EL34 and Super Lead are almost the same because they are 100 watts and use EL34s.

Ok.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer