I have a 75 watt randall combo amp (It's at my friends house and I don't remember the model name, but it was RG something), and everytime I move around the amp while I'm playing it always sounds different. If I'm standing directly in front of it it sounds very harsh and trebly, but if I'm at a 45 degree angle from the angle it's less trebly.

Is this normal? How would I eq this? From what position should I base my adjustments on?
thats usual it has to do with the way the sound moves from the speaker
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
As people have said it's normal, and definitely EQ based on where you stand most often, since it should sound better most of the time then.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by darkwolf291
Yeah, it's completely normal. The speaker outputs different frequencies at different angles.
The treble is more present directly in front of the speaker.
EQ based on where you normally stand.

Idk about that one, most amps I've played, the treble was most present at a 45 degree angle, and standing directly in front of the amp it was bassy and hollow, and if you stand about 10 to 20 feet back you get all the frequencies.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Idk about that one, most amps I've played, the treble was most present at a 45 degree angle, and standing directly in front of the amp it was bassy and hollow, and if you stand about 10 to 20 feet back you get all the frequencies.

From most amps I've played it's the opposite. The treble more present straight in front of the speaker.
Treble is more present right in front with most the amps Ive played as well. I play with about 20ft between me and the amp, lets you hear all the goodies but yeah its normal
Quote by darkwolf291
From most amps I've played it's the opposite. The treble more present straight in front of the speaker.

Like standing right in front of the amp, like a foot in front of the amp, or standing back a distance? Cause I just got done playing at band practice and I beg to differ.
I'm not talking about distance. Right in the middle of the speaker is where the most treble is present. As you back out. the treble spreads out more, as does the rest of the frequencies, and blends in.
When micing your amp, it will never be more than a foot away, so you need to EQ based on what's going on that distance from your amp. It's a well known fact that most of the treble frequencies are situated in the middle of the speaker.
What I'm saying is, we're both right. At a certain distance, the frequencies blend together.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Mar 28, 2011,
Thanks for the responses! I'm glad it's not a problem with the amp.

So lets say I'm playing a show for an audience, how should I position my amp and eq it?
Mic'd or unmic'd
Mic'd up it doesn't matter. YOu just EQ it at the volume you will be playing at, and make sure you're straight in front of it and EQ it like that. Also, go to where the crowd is at and either have someone play for you, or get a wireless so you can hear what you sound like through the PA.
Unmic'd just make sure it's facing the crowd, and EQ from the crowd's perspective.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Mar 28, 2011,
a lot of it depends on the cab design. Some cabs suffer less from this. I have a port city wave cabinet and it sounds amazing and similar just about everywhere. That said the said is still not 100% the same at every standing position as it is an inevitable effect of acoustics