Hey guys, I've been getting in to a lot of pretty tapping stuff lately and its been going pretty well. Today though, I started working on a piece that has taps at the 12 fret that just pull off to open and every time I try it I get a weird off sounding note. Upon further experimentation, I found that if I tap any note above the 12 fret and pull of to open I get an unpleasant sounding note. Is this something wrong with my technique or could it possibly be my guitar? Any advice you guys could offer will be greatly appreciated.
It's probably your guitar, nothing's ever been wrong with my pull off to open, even when I started
Is the sound when you're tapping down or when you're pulling off? When you tap a note the string vibrates above and below your finger (both at different pitches) when you're playing unplugged this can be pretty noticeable and unpleasant sounding but when you're plugged in you won't even hear it.

I don't know for sure if this is what you're experiencing though. Just my guess
I hate my sig
The off sounding note happens when I tap the string. Once I pull off the note sounds correct. My tapping sounds fine if both notes are fretted anywhere on the neck, the note only sounds off if I pull of to an open string from a note fretted at the 12 fret or above.
Also, it sounds bad unplugged and absolutely horrible plugged in. I've been tapping for quite some time but strictly in a heavy context, only since I've started tapping in a more melodic context has the problem arisen. I'm truly stumped as to why this is happening.
I think i agree with Quantum, as i get the same sometimes. Its usually okay when i'm plugged in, with a decent amount of gain though... maybe more practice is needed?
Quote by danzabonanza
The off sounding note happens when I tap the string. Once I pull off the note sounds correct. My tapping sounds fine if both notes are fretted anywhere on the neck, the note only sounds off if I pull of to an open string from a note fretted at the 12 fret or above.

hmmm. It shouldn't sound bad plugged in if it's what I said. It could be a mixture of that and improper muting of the other strings. I mean, the sound has to come from somewhere
I hate my sig
it's because you're equally resonating from the 12th fret to the bridge, and the 11th fret to the nut... try muting with your left hand... and letting go of the mute just before the "pull of"
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
yup.

if you can't seem to get anything to work then you could try fretting like the 5th or 8th fret first (without tapping so no sound is made) and then tapping the 12th fret, then removing the other finger and pulling off the 12th.