So i've had this pedal for a while, and i've got my cab all mic'd up so i thought what the hey, i'll mess around with it.

First thing i noticed, this thing makes NOISE. so much noise, in fact, that my NS-2 wasn't filtering it out, it thought it was guitar siganl even on full threshold

I set my clean channel to all EQ on 5. Like everyone said, the impression i got was "can of bees". The thing that really kills this pedal is the lack of low end, palm mutes seem to just slide instead of punch. I dialed it in as best i could. I think the common noob thing to do with this pedal is set mids to 0, highs and lows all the way and crank the gain. I had the mids around 2 oclock, bass and highs around noon, with gain around noon.

these clips are raw off the DAW, there has been no post processing (no eq's no compressor's etc.etc.).

here's the MT-2:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8449636/sixpoundermetalzone.mp3

After that, i removed the MT-2 and through my bugera on it's lead channel, thenrecorded the same song, with no post precessing. Both of these clips would do ALOT better with some post EQ (high pass low pass and maybe a mid boost), but these are the most comparable.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8449636/sixpounderBugera.mp3

My opinion? If you got one and it's your only hope for high gain at the moment, have a noise suppressor, and be ready to spend hours dialing it in.

If your thinking about buying one, perhaps look for another pedal, or try using your amp's distortion first and foremost.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Last edited by Gundamnitpete at Mar 29, 2011,
oh yeah each track was done in one take, so gimme a break if i made a few mistakes, lol
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
You should get it modded. The Keeley mod turns it into a whole nother beast.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
There's a dude in Nebraska named Mark Humphrey who mods them too. I had my old mt-2 modded to his SLO/Diezel mod. It sounded way better, though probs still nothing like either of the amps which give it it's namesake. He does a couple mt2 mods, pretty cheaply too, i think it was maybe $35-45.
I'll prolly just stick to my amp for distortion. However, maybe i'll have it modded and record another clip to see what it sounds like. I think this shows the problem with the low end that this pedal has in stock for.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Your playing is pretty sweet but the pedal doesn't do for me. The chugs sound so hollow and it sounds like there's no bass or mids. Wouldn't your bugera have better dist?
Quote by evmac
Your playing is pretty sweet but the pedal doesn't do for me. The chugs sound so hollow and it sounds like there's no bass or mids. Wouldn't your bugera have better dist?

it does, i even posted a clip of the bugera

i've had this pedal since before i owned my 6262. I just thought this would be a fun thing to do. "doing it for the lulz", so to speak.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
I'll prolly just stick to my amp for distortion.

Ya, there's always that option too.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
lol i was talking to some employees about the metalzone in my local shop and eventually we decided to see if we could make the metalzone sound good. we ran it through a vox ac30 and tried to get it the best we could. then we added a boss eq (they didnt have any mxrs) and found that boosting the mids with an eq helped. then an employee brought out something to boost it (i forget what it was) and it just made it noisier. noise gates didnt help it much. that thing just kinda sucked lol.

also does anyone have any links to some mods on a metalzone that i can do myself? it wouldnt be worth my money to have keeley mod one. but it would be a fun project.
I really like the Monte Allums Mods; really easy to do and it makes it sound much much better. It is still not perfect, I sold it when i got my soldano but it turns into a good solo pedal, pretty smooth. I recommend the sustainia.

I agree though, for chunky palm mutes and aggressive rhythm styles, it is better to use the amps Dist.

I also modded by DS-1 with the roxx mod and it sounds killer as a solo boost!
Gear:
Gibson '61 SG (57 Classics)
Ibanez RG4EXFM1 (TB-6)
Gibson '08 Explorer (500T)
Soldano Avenger 100
No Name 4X12 w/ Texas Heat+V12
I Want More Stuff
My setup when I first started was Ibanez GIO > MT-2 > MG30! I still had better tone than kids with spiders I hated the MT-2 because there really is no balls to it. My palm mutes just sounded like scratching instead of thumping.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Any cc fans will argue that the mt-2 is great, they use unmodded metalzones through there triple recs, Im not positive on how there running them though. But they use them
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Yeah but don't forget the power of post production.

If they use them live, I guess the huge natural low end of the Mesa helps balance out the scooped sound of the mt.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I will give the pedal one thing though.

The "Mid Freq" knob really can change how the pedal responds. Is it still a piece? Yes. Yes it is .

Keeley's mod is crazy good though.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Tom 1.0
Yeah but don't forget the power of post production.

If they use them live, I guess the huge natural low end of the Mesa helps balance out the scooped sound of the mt.

Yea Ive seen them live quite a few times at venues I was working and theyve always had mt-2s, theres a gw interview that they mention there use of it too, but theres no way im trying to dig through my collection lol.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
You commited the crime of using a crap eq with a so so pedal
which ended up making it worse
boss eq's suck
by the way which noise gate do you use
i remember seeing one guy using a mt2>cab sim>p.a and the outcome was avobe avg