Don't get me wrong, I like the Strats with 22 frets as well as other guitars with 22-24 frets. The Eric Clapton signature strat is a great guitar but it's not the same as the "Blackie" strat I grew up seeing on his album covers. It's just my personal preference, I guess I get an old school or vintage vibe from it, I don't know. Just wanted to share that with others.
not strange at all
you have no need for those extra frets im assuming and 21 just feels right for you
I personally have no use for any frets higher than my 18th. The guitar I learned on had really poor access to the upper frets, so when I'm playing I don't ever pay attention to them.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I don't really have much of a preference, but I certainly don't seek out guitars that have 22-24 frets. I have pretty fat fingers, so I really can't reach up there anyways.
I don't think that's strange at all.

What I do find strange are the people that absolutely will not buy anything with less than 24 frets because apparently an instrument is unplayable for them without those 3 extra notes.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
I never saw, for my preferences at least, the need for 24 frets. My S Ibanez is a 2008 and, if I'm correct with my knowledge, they introduced the 24 fret S series later in 2008. Still, mine only has 22 frets. I understand the need for the extra frets if you shred or something but, in reality, 2 more frets that high up doesn't really make too much of a difference to me. I rarely go past 20 at all and 22 feels just right for me. I can completely understand the feel for a 21 fret guitar. I like them as well. I don't think I'd make a judgement of a guitar based on fret numbers, but I certainly won't let the absence of 2 or 3 frets effect my judgement. I prefer 22 anyway haha
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
I'm with you OP... I rarely get above the 17th fret… after that for me they are just for show
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
my strat has 21 frets, and i normally dont go above 17 or 19 on that guitar, so its not a big deal. I have my Schecter for my 24 fret needs.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Nope it is normal. What ever normal might be when talking about guitars and musicians.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
the reason i like 24 fret guitars is because it gives better access to the 21/22 frets. when i had my esp ec-1000 i didn't even use the 23/24 frets.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
the only real upside to 24 frets, imo, is if you are fretting a note on the 12th fret and want a tap-harmonic you don't have to guess where it is. but that's nit-picking. my strat has 21. i'm happy w/it. plus, maybe someone who knows a little more than i do (or someone not too lazy to google it) can tell us how the extra frets on the strat effect the scale of the neck. i have short fingers, but i play my strat better than i did my les paul, which is a shorter scale. maybe neck width or something, but that's another thread......
\m/(>_<\m/
ROCK ON!!

Fender Stratocaster Standard
Fender Twin Reverb II 105 Watts
Takamine EG-330 cutaway elec/acoustic
Ibanez Demon Wah Pedal
Various Effect Pedals
I like 24 fretters, I reckon it's because I appreciate the 'completeness' that each string covers two octaves. Yep, not a very good reason at all!

I play my 24 fret Jackson more often than my 22 fret Epi. So actually, these days, when I play my Epi and I'm up around the 19th fret or so, it actually looks weird to me when I look down at the fretboard, like I'm playing higher up than I actually am, because I expect to see a couple more frets there! Odd.

I'd be a bit uncomfortable with only 21 frets I think, I use 22 reasonably often. I don't use 23 or 24 much, but hey, I like having them anyway.

I'd rather have 24 frets, would buy a 22 fretter even though I prefer 24, probably wouldn't touch 21. I know it's only 3 less, but I like to have 'em.

So in terms of strats it's the 22 fretters for me. But, until I have a big guitar collection anyway, the only strat type guitar I might buy is a Charvel pro mod...
Last edited by Confuse-a-Cat at Mar 29, 2011,
Quote by jimihendrix6699
the reason i like 24 fret guitars is because it gives better access to the 21/22 frets.

you make an great point!

gotta keep that in mind on my next guitar purchase.
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
i have no need for 24 frets, i rarely get up to 22, usually 21 is more than enough for me.

the only thing i really like about 24 frets is that it asthetically pleasing to see that second octave mark on the 24th fret (ie 2 dots like on fret 12)