I was wondering how major the difference is, if any, between actives and passives on 7/8 string guitars. I've heard (and it may have been mentioned in a Tosin Abasi interview) that actives are more evenly voiced per string, and would have a neater sound than passives. I'd assume bass may be louder than the treble strings, etc.

Is there a big difference? I'm also wondering this because I may be buying a ValveKing 112 (kind of put off it though by some video reviews. Sucks some sustain?) and right now for the 10000th time I have a Traynor DG30D as my current amp
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Actives for ERG's all the way. With passives handling strings tuned so low, you'll lose a lot of clarity and definition. Actives will retain it. EMG's are the best at this IMO, moreso than EMG X's or Blackouts.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 29, 2011,
Which makes 3/4 of Agiles 8 strings (dunno about their 7's) "crap"? That sucks.

EDIT: How is it having dual pups on them? I know the neck pup is usually "warmer", but is it as big of a difference on ERG's, especially with actives?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at Mar 29, 2011,
Well to be fair, barely anything from Rondo has "good" pickups. They're kind of designed to be replaced...

Why would the way pickups behave be different on an ERG?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Well to be fair, barely anything from Rondo has "good" pickups. They're kind of designed to be replaced...

Why would the way pickups behave be different on an ERG?

Just thought that having 7 or 8 string passive would be weird, or they wouldnt be as clear as 6 string pickups.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
i've got passives on my erg's. I like the way they sound but definitely took me some tweaking to get right.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
it really depends on what you are playing. passives loose some clarity on the super low tuning, so if your thinking metal, get the actives.

although the valveking head makes me think you aren't going for metal...

i couldn't be happier with the EMG 707's in my agile intercepter pro
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I dunno what I'd be using for a tuning. Prolly keep it in standard, or drop E on the 8.

The Valveking is the combo as well, not the head. I'm kind of 50/50 right now with wanting cleans, or good metal tones. Most likely end up going for the metal tones.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
should look into a 6505 instead of a valveking then.

honestly good passives are fine but actives would probably be able to process the super low notes a bit better.

I've got a painkiller in my seven and switch between a suhr doug aldrich and a nailbomb in my baritone but i don't go lower then A standard.
it can be done clearly and with good result, Meshuggah uses passives on 8 strings, textures uses passives on 7 strings. both awesome bands with a good, clear sound.

gear
-Richwood: stratocaster
-Ibanez: RG7321
-Fender: Fm 212R
-Line 6: Floorpod
-Epiphone: G-400
-Squier: P bass
-ESP: LTD MH-50NT
So, I'm wondering if I should go with a lower priced intrepid 8, and maybe put lace alumitones in it, or a single pup pendulum 8.

...And then i realized this wouldnt work, as they're meant for 6's.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at Mar 29, 2011,
You can go for Lace Alumitones for the 8 string no problem, you just have to get the 5 or 6 string bass sized ones, i forget at the moment but there is a guy on SS.org who replaced the pickup in his Pendulum 82725 with the Lace model.

As far as the debate, there is no strict rule of what you should use when looking at lower tunings, it is all entirely subjective. I happen to like the EMG's in my current 8, but i also love the passives in my 7, it's just different applications really. The EMG's work because i play a lot of contemporary classical music and avant garde style soundscapes, whereas my 7 works because it is primarily use for heavier styles.
So passives would be better for chugging or even djent, more Messugah type stuff, and EMG's would be better for Animals as Leaders?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Not necessarily. It really depends on the individual pickups being considered. Actives vs passives doesn't mean much in itself.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
gotta make sure you go high quality with passives too if you go for the super high output brootz pups.
If you go passive then it definitely has otbe a very high quality pickup. Something boutique, hand-wound for that specific guitar in mind. The usual Seymour Duncan and DiMArzio passive 7/8 string pickups are never worth bothering with. Go active or go boutique, otherwise your 7th and 8th strings are going to sound like utter shite.
Quote by AWACS
So passives would be better for chugging or even djent, more Messugah type stuff, and EMG's would be better for Animals as Leaders?
My EMG808s work fine for all of that. You can't say which is better as it depends on the pickup. A passive pickup might not voice the strings evenly... unless the passive pickup is designed for that. Y'know?

And yes, the neck pickup behaves exactly the same as a normal guitar. The extra strings and extended scale don't suddenly make the strings vibrate differently. I couldn't live without my neck pickup.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
The issue is that many pickup companies that aren't really used for metal make throwaway pickups so they can just say they have ERG pickups. ERG guitars have use in every genre, but they're really only used for metal or rock, although I went to a local jazz gig and the guy was rocking a ten string REALLY well.
So theres no definitive "better" pup?

EDIT: And what I meant with the neck pup question, is that if you have active pups in the bridge and neck, would the neck pup still have that slightly "warmer" tone than the bridge?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at Mar 30, 2011,