Hi, I'm thinking of building my own guitar. But I dont have much money so I have a question: how long would my guitar neck be straight if it would be made without truss rod?
It depends where you live, the wood you'll be using, string gauge, bridge type, and the finish type. When you properly string and tune a guitar there are around +180lbs of pressure on the neck. Truss rods are a must on all guitars.

If you really cant afford to use a truss rod, I would suggest using "quartersawn maple" wood because it is very stable and sometimes doesn't require truss rods.

My personal opinion: Dont waste your money on building a guitar if you cant buy quality stuff for it. You'll end up with a cheap guitar. Save money, once you got a good amount buy good quality stuff and build the guitar of your dreams.
Quote by nazgulas
Hi, I'm thinking of building my own guitar. But I dont have much money so I have a question: how long would my guitar neck be straight if it would be made without truss rod?

The truss rod is probably one of the most least expensive parts of building! They only cost a few pounds (dollars)!
Without a truss rod, the neck will bow, regardless of what wood you use to make it. Even high quality quarter sawn maple will bow, with laminates too.
You won't be able to set the relief properly without one, the playability will suffer a lot.
I just want to gain experience of guitar making. But maybe I will postpone my plans and make a good guitar with all necessary parts.
Quote by nazgulas
I just want to gain experience of guitar making. But maybe I will postpone my plans and make a good guitar with all necessary parts.

The truss rod is probably one of the most least expensive parts of building! They only cost a few pounds (dollars)!
Sorry, had to do that.

You could buy a sub-standard neck blank and then use the money saved to buy a truss rod. You won't pay out any more than getting a top grade neck blank and you can then carry on with your plans.

Saying that, if you haven't got much of a budget then you might have to cut corners elsewhere, so maybe it is a good idea to wait if you can't afford to buy a truss rod at the moment.
yeah the truss rod is 100% necessary if you want to be able to play the guitar longer than a few months. as suggested above, it would be better to cut costs elsewhere so that you can buy a truss rod and make your guitar structurally sound. buy crappy tuners, pickups, hardware, etc and use the $$ you saved to fund a truss rod. it's a lot easier to upgrade a part than it is to add a truss rod to a finished neck or replace the neck entirely.
Quote by nazgulas

Truss rods are like 12 bucks. What kind of tools do you own or have access to? Raw lumber alone is going to cost you 30-300 bucks depending on what you want for the neck and body. Hard maple in my area is like 3 bucks a BF so its cheap to get enough to build a neck. Then there is glue, fret wire, dots or inlays, separate fingerboard wood if you want something other than maple, nut blank, etc etc. The truss rod is an essential expense in my opinion. I guess you could slap some carbon fiber rods in there but I think that would be more expensive than a truss rod.