im stuck in this shithole kuwait for another 6 months. I bought an acoustic to learn on a week ago and am trying to teach myself, i have all the time in the world to practice. im having difficulty with my fingers muscle memory and cant get to chords fast enough to play anything, if anybodys got some free time and wants to help it would be appreciated
There isn't really anything anybody can do to help if finger strength and muscle memory is the problem... You're just gonna have to keep working at it Just try learning some easy 3 chord songs like Louie Louie or whatever... Just repeat the chord changes over and over and try to do them quicker while making sure that you maintain accuracy while changing
my first song i learned was knockin on heavens door (guns n roses version) so i recognized it while learning it... but as the guy said above u just have to keep at it
Gear:-
Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony 2011
Blackstar Ht-1r Head and 408 Blackstar Cab

Practicing:-
Trot Stetinas Lead guitar Vol 1 (2nd solo)
Trot Stetinas Rhythm guitar Vol 1 (4th Rhythm)

Plays:-
Anything from Slash to Killswitch Engage!!!

no probs mate, if u keep practicing at 3 chords, lets say G C and D in a week (every day playing) u will be able to play them, by the end of the week...

yeah i practice 9+ hours a day because i got nothing else to do, i can remember where my fingers go for the basic maj chords, im just slow at reaction time to switch over.
i was in the same boat mate... couldnt switch for the life of me, but you will be able to, just keep doing it then it becomes natural mate

but just dont give up!

..trust me!

Yea I remember when I started I was terrible and was convinced I was doing something wrong so I'd look for every tip I could find
Never found anything to help so I stopped looking and kept playing guitar
And I never even noticed when my fingers passed that milestone

And house of the rising sun by the animals is a good first cord song you don't strum the cords so you have more time to get the finger placement
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Mar 29, 2011,
because i was a fool and igned a contract with the army, now im stuck here trying to teach myself guitar lol
I would LOVE to have the opportunity to do nothing but play guitar all day for 6 months... *snaps out of dreamworld*

Um regarding the chord changing issue, I would highly recommend if you really do have a lot of time on your hands to do a few picking exercises as well (not just chromatic but tricky ones that utilize both the fretboard lengthways and vertically). I say this because I personally did not spend a lot of time on chords (I came back to them MUCH later on), however it didn't take me very long to be able to change quickly and efficiently simply due to the fact that my hands were already very accustomed to the guitar because I had already done hours and hours of practice doing other finger dexterity and picking exercises.

Also, there's really only so much chords you can strum before you lose whats left of your sanity Keep it diverse and learn as broadly as you can (as far as basics go). Hope you have fun learning in kuwait!
yes i am deffinately not complaining about all the time i have to learn. i started the same way as i assume most people do with tabs, but i want to learn how to actually make music. i figure now that i have the ability to play all day why not learn it right instead of tabbing all day
A week is nothing, just keep at it, holding the guitar will start to feel a little more natural after a couple of months.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hey,

Sorry to hear about the Kuwait deal, but glad you're trying to learn. I am too!

I know that there is an organization for those in the military that donates instruments, and they also had a deal going with a couple lesson folks who do online lessons for free. You may need to email these folks and see if they're still doing that (it was going on in 2008). Maybe they can provide a link to some lessons for free?

http://www.operationhappynote.com/

IN the meantime, check out these four free online lessons....REALLY great for a beginner! I need to get the whole series, now....

*** link removed***

Hil
Last edited by KaLioMele at Mar 29, 2011,
I've removed the link as although there are some free lessons on there they're essentially teasers for a paid for course - posting advertising links is against forum rules as it impacts on the sites advertising revenue.

For some good free video lessons I'd point you towards http://www.justinguitar.com/ instead
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Sorry, Seagull...I particularly found even just those first four REALLY helpful....I can't afford to get the whole shebang right now, but I certainly got help on the free ones....