Hey guys, my mate has MIK Fender Lite Ash and is having issues with his neck. From about frets 1-4 if he frets the note goes sharp and if he capos the first few frets everything seems fine. He took it to his guitar teacher who said that the guitar was too messed up to be fixed and he should strip the electronics and bin the guitar. I am in a mind to disagree and think it can be fixed.

Anyone got any suggestions on a possible cause and rough costs to fix? This is a UK based question so answers in £ please.
Take it to a competent luthier and get a professional opinion, you have't given enough data here to reasonably diagnose it, nor is that the type of thing best done sight unseen.

Guitar teacher =/= Luthier
Has he tried adjusting the intonation? How sharp are the notes going?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Could just be a mixture of things; intonation, truss rod, action.
Get a general service done to it first.

If that fails, then you know there's something majorly wrong, like uneven frets, twisted neck or something.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
If it goes sharp in the first few frets it could be the nut is too high.
Moving on.....
Cheers guys, I'll have a look over it once he gets it back to see if I can spot anything missed.
Quote by KenG
If it goes sharp in the first few frets it could be the nut is too high.

That's the first thing that should jump into the mind of anyone who knows anything about setting up a guitar. Just lightly fret the guitar at the 3rd position with your finger closest to the 2nd fret (the opposite of how you would normally fret said position). As such the string forms a straight line from the top of the 2nd fret to the front edge of the nut. There should be tiny gap btw the bottom of the string and the 1st fret in such a position.....and I do mean tiny.

If the slots are too high you can easily cut them lower with some torch tip cleaners (gauged wire files) that can picked up in the welding section of any store that sells welding stuf. They cost about $4 in the states. You wouldn't want to cut a nut from scratch with them, but they work fine for lowering slots a bit.
Quote by webwarmiller
That's the first thing that should jump into the mind of anyone who knows anything about setting up a guitar. Just lightly fret the guitar at the 3rd position with your finger closest to the 2nd fret (the opposite of how you would normally fret said position). As such the string forms a straight line from the top of the 2nd fret to the front edge of the nut. There should be tiny gap btw the bottom of the string and the 1st fret in such a position.....and I do mean tiny.

If the slots are too high you can easily cut them lower with some torch tip cleaners (gauged wire files) that can picked up in the welding section of any store that sells welding stuf. They cost about $4 in the states. You wouldn't want to cut a nut from scratch with them, but they work fine for lowering slots a bit.

Yep, good call on the tip cleaners, I love 'em and they're cheap.

If it's sharp across the board though I might just sand the bottom of the nut down a bit, harder to screw it up that way...
What you really need is a new guitar...

No seriously go find a luthier dude to help
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!