I'm nearly at the stage of ordering my custom now after ages of planing and being delayed by money issues. So, I just want to clarify and make sure I make the absolute best choice. It's either a Carvin semi-custom or a full custom from ET Guitars at the moment.

I'll have a long specs down the bottom, but it'll be your basic mahogany body, quilted maple top, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, floyd rose (or floyd Rose style) 7 stringer

I've never played a Carvin neck and I was planning on getting an Ibanez Universe profile neck for the ET one. How does Carvin compare? What sort of neck would be most similar to it that I could try out in a store?

Anyway, this thing is going to be a professional instrument, I plan on using it for years and years and doing plenty of gigging with it. I don't think it'll be seeing an airplane (no illusions of becoming a rockstar) but it will see a lot of gigging in Australia. I really want a lifelong companion in this guitar, who is going to give me that?

Specs for the Carvin:

DC747C
Right Handed
Floyd Rose Tremolo 1851 $

LN - Floyd Rose Locking Nut 56 $
MAH - Maple Neck/Mahogany Body 95 $
BGB - Black Gloss Back & Sides 40 $
TF - Tung-Oiled Satin Neck & Body 0 $
QSS - Umber Stain - Sunset Burst Quilt 458 $
DTS - Deep Triple Step Stain/Color Process 150 $
5MW - Maple Neck w/ 2 Walnut Stripes 185 $
QPH - Quilted Maple Headstock Matches Body Color 49 $
RWF - Rosewood Fingerboard 0 $
STJF - Stainless Jumbo Frets .055" H .110" W 76 $
-C26B - C26 Bridge Pickup 0 $
-C26NA - C26 Neck Pickup/Center AP13 Pickup 0 $
-400 - Black Coils w/ Black Bezels (Standard) 0 $
32 - Two Coil Splitting Switches 40 $
-1056 - Elixer Light Gauge .010 - .056 (Standard) 0 $
WL - White Logo 0 $
SL - Dunlop Straplocks 20 $
SL - Dunlop Straplocks 20 $

ET Guitars Specs

Right Handed 7 String
Scale Length: 25.5"
No. of frets: 24
Locking Nut / Fixed Nut: Locking Nut

Headstock orientation: Reverse
Headstock Finish: Quilted Maple Laminate (to match body)
Fretboard Wood: Rosewood (dyed black)

Fretboard Finish: none
Fretboard Radius: 430mm
Fretboard Binding: Figured maple
Neck Timber: Maple/Wenge
Neck Construction: 5 Piece
Neck Profile: Ibanez Universe Prestige
Neck Finish: Satin

Heel Type: AANJ
Frets: Xtra Jumbo
Fret material: Stainless
Inlays: None, Tree of Life or Disappearing Pyramids.
Inlay Material: Peal/Abalone
Side Dots: Black.

Body Shape: RGA Prestige
Bridge: Floyd Rose
Pickup Configuration: Humbucker/Humbucker
Body Timber: Mahogany
Laminate Top: Quilted Maple
Binding: Figured Maple
Finish: Dye/Grain Enhancement
You're going to pay 2 grand for a guitar and you want us to pick it for you? Both should be great, get whatever one you want.
Quote by adambauman31
You're going to pay 2 grand for a guitar and you want us to pick it for you? Both should be great, get whatever one you want.

Nope. Just hoping that some people will come in and provide their insight.

I am kind of a lot paranoid about this. It is a LOT of money. Closer to 3 grand, and I don't want to make an uninformed decision based on my own speculation. -_- I love the specs on the ET Guitars one. But I don't want to realize months later that, despite the fact that it's got my ideal neck, the ET Guitars model just isn't built to the same level of quality as you would get from Carvin. I really want this to be the last guitar I need to buy. I probably will buy more. But I never want to be ABLE to upgrade.

I just want to be beyond absolutely sure now that I'm getting so close to ordering it.
well im already offput by the fact they ET only mkes ibanez copies. i mean it even look like they use real ibanez parts and just do them up better, as if you were getting a custom ibanez. im sure they are built well, but ireally dont find that attractive for a different custom builder to build another persons guitars.

atleast carvin designs thier own models with exception to the bolt which is a strat copy and and the les paul style, they really have thier own unique shapes.

even if they are super strat cop neck throughs, they all have unique body contouring or rouned off edges that make them look thier own.
I am kinda after an Ibanez guitar. :/ I don't think I'm exactly going to be able to get an LACS made though.
Have you considered getting a J Custom? I'm not sure how their quality would compare, but I know they are very high end. It is up to you obviously, but personally I am a little irked by the idea of getting a "copy of the real thing".
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well, my specs aren't exactly something that I've been able to find. Except for maybe in Chris Brodericks custom Jackson. But then I hate the shape. :/
You can wait for an Ibanez RG8427 to pop up on ebay. Google it, I think you might like it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X

What a dickhead. If you don't have anything constructive to add, kindly put the dick back in your ass.
I'm looking at getting a Carvin too, but I'm in the same boat: I don't wanna pay that much money and then find out like a month later that something else would've satisfied my needs more. For those of you that had something worth saying, thanks a lot!!
Carvin. ET has a massive amount of backorders and IIRC aren't taking any more orders currently. You'd be waiting at the very least a year, and the Carvin will probably end up being cheaper anyway.
If you raly want the best guitar you can buy contact PRS through a dealer and they will do whatever you want. Personaly I am not a fan of carvin, not that they are bad guitars, they just don't do it for me. But good luck because thats a boat load o' cash!
Carvins are great because I own two but after looking at the ET site it's going to be a hard decision. That's some nice stuff there.

I guess you can flip a coin?

by the way, they're caught up and ready to take orders.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+