Hey guys/girs,

I learned a lot about proper support lately, I'm now using my diaphragm, I can sing without hurting my voice, so far it feels great... I was mostly singing from my throat before...

I still have this problem that I'm not quite sure how to approach longer phrases. So how do you approach longer phrases, what do you do to not loose air too soon?

I guess that for longer phrases/sentences you don't want to inhale more air, cause that will usually blow out your voice, you will oversupport it, it's more like yelling then singing when I do that for me... so I guess inhaling more air is not the solution... so what do you do when you have longer phrase to sing? Any tips or examples would be great!

Tnx
Hey Speed,
Quote by Speedhand
So how do you approach longer phrases, what do you do to not loose air too soon?
It's kind of strange for me to answer this, since I have the same problem. I am a beginner, so I can only tell you what my tutor tells me (over and over :-7 ). There are a few things actually.

When you sing, especially higher notes, you should sing against your soft palate. It's this very smooth tissue you feel when you lift the flat part of your tongue against the back of your mouth.

Here's a picture where it's pointed out:
http://www.cancervic.org.au/images/CISS/cancer-types/mouth_neck.gif
(Is it me or does this guy look like a young Paul McCartney?)

My teacher sometimes asks me to make it vibrate. It kind of sounds like Donald Duck laughing, or like making a very wet rrrr-sound. It took me the better part of two months to effectively use it while singing and I still regularly forget about using it. It's tricky. The advantage (next to sounding better) is that less air passes through your throat, since it is partially blocked by this soft tissue.

Another thing is to open your mouth while singing. More sound will be generated with the same air, so that you don't need as much pressure to sound loud. This is not easy, since you're not used to do this when you speak. And there is a level of embarrassment to overcome, since you might think you look stupid singing with a wide open mouth. Also some vowels feel like you should close your mouth or your teeth. The e's and the u's for instance. She told me to look into a mirror and find a way to make the e sound without making a smile expression. (To me it looks like the Predator yelling without his helmet on. Talk about embarrassment!).

A third exercise (which you already do) is not to use chest air, but use your diaphragm to breath. She also told me to breath in my back (which for some reason I haven't figured out yet). As an exercise she once told me to exhale completely, and then, before breathing in, say as much as possible. Just say stuff. It's surprising how much sound you can still make when you think your longs are empty.
I guess that for longer phrases/sentences you don't want to inhale more air, cause that will usually blow out your voice, you will oversupport it, it's more like yelling then singing when I do that for me
Well you could breath in deeper and exhale slowly, without as you say yelling, but the problem is that your chest and shoulders will rise up, which blocks your voice. So, that's not a good idea.

Now remember: I am a beginner. Take this for what it's worth. I hope it helps.
Last edited by Withakay at Mar 31, 2011,
Quote by Withakay
When you sing, especially higher notes, you should sing against your soft palate. It's this very smooth tissue you feel when you lift the flat part of your tongue against the back of your mouth.

I'm sorry to say, but i think your teacher will get flamed for this..
The hard palate will project the sound much better, and that way you'll need less air to increas the volume.
Last edited by KrisHQ at Mar 31, 2011,
Quote by KrisHQ
I'm sorry to say, but i think your teacher will get flamed for this..
No, I don't think so. This isn't the Pit. :-)

Besides, my teacher graduated from a prestigeous conservatorium, and sings in several professional productions per year. She also keeps training with international voice coaches. I don't think she is that wrong.
The hard palate will project the sound much better, and that way you'll need less air to increas the volume.
Maybe that is part of a technique that I will learn later. Or maybe there are diverging techniques. I can't comment on that. But if it works for you, so much the better.
one thing my teacher show me is the hiss. This lets u have more sustain and longer phraseing. Grats on useing ur diaphram its a great feeling.

First try this exersize at 10 sec nad increase up to 25 with 5 sec intervals. What u do is take ur breath and release the smallest amount of air threw your teeth.

so breath -> close teeth together and find the part that the leaste amount of air is passing threw and keep it timed.

Relax and think of it as your long phrase is the breath coming out. Hope this help and it will i know it..

also use your air sparingly. Dont just throw it out there. U dont have to take deep breaths just make what air u have last. Even if u blow out all your air out of your ungs. U still have air left in. Your lungs are a great thing and strong.

try my technique and i gaurentee it will work.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Last edited by silly6-string at Apr 3, 2011,