I've never quite taken formal classes or exams before, but I would like to know what would the standards for a Grade 1 till Grade 8 guitar student be. Can anyone share some information? It would really help self taught guitarists like me. Thank you.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
It depends on the exam board and whether you play acoustic, electric or classical. I would check out the RGT website to get some idea. There is also 'rockschool' which I've heard is more performance based.

And for classical guitar, ABRSM.
get a guitar teacher! they'll be able to judge where you are in about a lesson, and it'd be much easier than trying to do it yourself (and also doing it yourself you might make a mistake, the teacher shouldn't). if it's just for yourself, you could do it yourself, bit if it's for anything to do with applying to a college etc, it'd recommend a teacher to look at you just to be on the safe side.
It really depends on whose grade levels you're measuring yourself against.

Royal Conservatory and RockSchool will be worlds apart.

I know the Royal Conservatory of Music publishes a syllabus every couple of years or so, listing grade levels and a list of recommended pieces for each grade level for the exams. If you can play three pieces quite well at a certain grade level, you could pretty well judge yourself.

Here's a nice grade 8 piece, for instance. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iiVw9KSlb4

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Freepower
http://www.rgt.org/downloads/exams/ElectricGuitarBooklet2006-web.pdf

Take a look. In my personal experience people vastly overestimate what grade they should be in. >.>

If I had to take those tests right now, I think I'd be somewhere between grade 5 and 6. I could figure out the rest of the requirements, but I'm guessing I'd be pushing the time requirements figuring out certain appeggios etc.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Freepower
http://www.rgt.org/downloads/exams/ElectricGuitarBooklet2006-web.pdf

Take a look. In my personal experience people vastly overestimate what grade they should be in. >.>

i'd be somwhere between 6 and 8, i think its funny that for grade 8 they want you to be able to play that chromatic scale but i'd think that'd be some grade 1 stuff.
The hard thing is the level of proficiency required - it's easy enough to play all the chords when you've got a few seconds, but reading a chart with structural and dynamic marks and playing convincing rhythm guitar through them is hard.

I actually find the RGT charts far harder than real jazz charts, as they're much more specific about alterations (you never see "Ealt" on an RGT chart, it'll be "Em7b5b9") - and there's more stylistic direction as well. >.<