Hey guys,
The thing is, I've been saving up for a while to change the stock bridge pickup in my Telecaster, to something like a Seymour Duncan single coil sized humbucker e.g. Lil 59 or Hot Rails. I play Pop-punk like Me Vs Hero, Four Year Strong, Blink 182 and Sum 41. Although, I sometimes play blues and classic rock. What pick up can you reccomend for these styles??
Thanks, Lewis .. ;D
My Gear
+ Fender telecaster custom 72
+ Blackstar HT-40

+ Fender squier strat sunburst 1980's
+ Peavey vypyr 15
+ Jim Dunlop Crybaby

"The Smell of Win" Rob Chappers.
Having owned both the Lil'59 and Hot Rails, I'd advise against them. Either is pretty much a 1-trick-pony. The Lil'59 does classic-rock-ish stuff alright but struggles with high gain, the HR can deal with more distortion, but sounds shrill and will get brittle with the gain turned down. The only single-sized 'bucker from Duncan that I liked was the Cool Rails, which is rather middy and handles both drive and cleans decently. It's been a while since I used that though, so my memory may be playing tricks on me.

After experimenting with all these pups, I returned to my stock single coil and just roll the tone knob down a bit or use an EQ pedal in front of the amp (mids and bass boosted, treble cut slightly) if I want to play with a lot of distortion.
So what is a good pickup to replace the stock one with? What do Lollar offer? I live in England btw. And what are DiMarzios like?
My Gear
+ Blackstar HT-40

+ Peavey vypyr 15
+ Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Last edited by lewisw at Mar 29, 2011,
For high gain, the Bareknuckle Trilogy Suite is recommended pretty frequently. I have not tried it myself, but the clips on the Bareknuckle site seem impressive (note that clips can be deceiving). It's also a British company, so you wouldn't have to worry about import tax and such.
ah if you're in england lollar will be hard to come by, and will be expensive if you do.

If you want to go handwound/boutique like lollar, there are a bunch of UK-based companies- bareknuckle, bulldog, shed, catswhisker, rockmonkey, wizard, etc. etc. I've only tried bareknuckle (not their tele pickups though) and they're nice, but pretty expensive.

^ hey quail, is a tele bridge pickup the same size as a strat? because the TS is a strat single...

piledriver maybe? but as i said, i say that having not tried their tele pickups...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was wanting to get a single-coil sized humbucker, so i can give rid of the hiss >< so are there are any good pickups that do that?
My Gear
+ Blackstar HT-40

+ Peavey vypyr 15
+ Jim Dunlop Crybaby

^^No idea. Never worked on a tele before. I think the bridge pup's mounted differently, no? Good call.

^I'd rather deal with the noise of a single coil than with the sucky tone of a Hot Rail to be honest...

You might want to try the Häussel Big Mag. It's an overwound single coil with high output (not as high as the Trilogy Suite, but still pretty beefy). Häussel offers a version for teles.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 29, 2011,
^ yeah, i don't know either, but i'd err on the side of caution unless i was sure it'd fit a tele

Haeussel also offers a sc-sized bucker too, but it's pretty expensive (120 euro iirc).

And yeah, agreed with the hot rail sucking- but I'm guessing there are other options which aren't as bad as a hotrail. Could be wrong, though

^^how much hiss?

I mean the big problem is that, yeah, there are single-coil sized 'buckers, but they don't always sound all that good. I tried the hot rails bridge pickup in the yamaha mike stern model (so basically an ash telecaster with a neck humbucker), and I didn't much like it. I currently have a neck hotrails in my framus, and I don't much like it either

Obviously that's not conclusive proof- it might be just that one model which sounds bad, for example.

Cool rails might be worth a try, as quail said. Dimarzio has a lot more single coil-sized options, but I haven't tried them (other than the virtual vintages, which I don't think are what you want- they sound more like single coils without the hum).

Another problem is that most boutique handwinders don't offer single coil-sized humbuckers- a few do (haeussel, SP pickups), but I haven't tried them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 29, 2011,
Thanks guys for the replies ;D I have quite a lot of background noise when i play normally, so i was just hoping for something to cut it down slightly more, and as i normally play with a bit o' distortion, I was wondering if there was a better pickup to suit the sound rather than the stock single coil?
My Gear
+ Blackstar HT-40

+ Peavey vypyr 15
+ Jim Dunlop Crybaby

yeah, probably. I mean i generally prefer humbuckers to single coils for distortion. Just you need to be careful and sure that a sc-sized 'bucker will sound the same as a full-sized humbucker, because a lot claim to, but in my experience, a lot don't

how's your guitar routed under the scratchplate? It's a tele so it's probably only routed for a single coil (most strats are routed for a humbucker at the bridge even if they're SSS), but it'd be worth a look, just in case.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^^Yeah, Häussel makes an SC-sized 'bucker that they claim sounds like a normally sized humbucker. But then, everyone claims that about their sc-sized stuff and with the pups that I could try myself, it wasn't really the case.

You can get Häussels through this site, if you are interested:
http://www.acys-lounge.de/

Personally, I'd rather go to http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/ first and ask if they make a tele-version of the Trilogy Suite.

^^If you just want to get rid of the noise, the single-sized hb stuff might be good enough.
You'd have to try a couple of guitars with such pups installed to see if you like them though. You might also first go the cheap route and get something from GFS, they're decent enough and don't cost much.
Alternatively, you might just get a noise gate.
I'm not man enough yet to go digging around underneath the pickguard :L I've just got a Fender Telecaster Custom 72, the pickguard is different so i'm not sure. I think i'ts routed for just single coil ...
My Gear
+ Blackstar HT-40

+ Peavey vypyr 15
+ Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Quote by lewisw
So what is a good pickup to replace the stock one with? What do Lollar offer? I live in England btw. And what are DiMarzios like?

Lollar has these for Teles...
http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=telecaster-pickups

Each one has sound clips.

With you living in England, I might be inclined to look at Bare Knuckle if you have the $$
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/
Quote by TheQuailman
(a) ^^^Yeah, Häussel makes an SC-sized 'bucker that they claim sounds like a normally sized humbucker. But then, everyone claims that about their sc-sized stuff and with the pups that I could try myself, it wasn't really the case.

You can get Häussels through this site, if you are interested:
http://www.acys-lounge.de/

Personally, I'd rather go to http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/ first and ask if they make a tele-version of the Trilogy Suite.

(b) ^^If you just want to get rid of the noise, the single-sized hb stuff might be good enough.
You'd have to try a couple of guitars with such pups installed to see if you like them though. You might also first go the cheap route and get something from GFS, they're decent enough and don't cost much.
Alternatively, you might just get a noise gate.

(a) yeah, that's true

(b) if you want to go cheap, i think irongear makes a tele-sized humbucker? Haven't tried it, though, but from what I've heard I'd go irongear before i'd go GFS. Though I'd go tonerider (again, haven't tried, just going on hearsay) before I'd use either, but then I don't think they do single-coil sized humbuckers.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?