Greetings
I recently bought myself a Jackson Dinky JS20, because I really needed one and didn't have much cash in my pocket with the intention of selling it afterwards. I was intending to buy a more expensive model but after a couple of gigs I kinda attached myself to it and decided not to waste my time and buy a new guitar but just mod the shit out of this one. So the first thing I want to change is the stock pickups. That's why I am turning to you. Which ones would you recommend, something in the middle price range, not too pricey, but not that cheap. I play mostly trash metal and hard rock. I've heard about EMG and Seymour Duncan, but I can't really decide. Thanks in advance.
If you want to go active i'd suggest blackouts over EMGs, although EMGs aren't nearly as bad as people make out. As far as passives go, i'd say SD Invaders or Distortion or Dimazio Super Distortion, D-activator etc. for thrash stuff.
I have the very same guitar, and had the same dilemma when choosing which pickups to replace the stock ones with in my JS20. I didn't want to have to deal with the cost or hassle of routing the body for active pickups (I was looking at the emg 81), so I went with the Seymour Duncan SH-13 Dimebucker. If all you want to play is trash and metal, I'd say that's the way to go, because for a passive pickup it really packs some punch. It's got a brutal thick full sound when distorted (depending on your amp of course) with some pretty badass pinch harmonics, but it's not really good at cleans at all, but then again that's what the single coils are for right? :p
I looked into the ones you suggested but I live in the middle of ****ing nowhere and shipping is a bitch, but I looked at the website of a local shop and found EMG-SEHG available and I wonder if they are a good choice? Also a clarification I don't want to bother with active pickups for now.
Never heard of them before, looking it up it's pretty light on the details. Not sure what the "Select Line" is but it doesn't seem to be a true EMG. Is there anything else this place has?
Quote by risk182
I looked into the ones you suggested but I live in the middle of ****ing nowhere and shipping is a bitch, but I looked at the website of a local shop and found EMG-SEHG available and I wonder if they are a good choice? Also a clarification I don't want to bother with active pickups for now.

Unfortunately those SEHG pickups are garbage. They're stock in a lot of guitars. They're a little better than stock Jackson pickups, but barely.

I have a Jackson JS1 with a Dimarzio Super 3 in the bridge. Sounds awesome.
Most pickups are going to be $80 and up each for something great. If you're really looking into something better than stock but not expensive, check out guitarheads.net
check out guitar fetish. i have a set of the fat pats in my sg and they sound amazing!! i also have a set of their crunchy rails(hottest pickups they make). im not sure how they sound yet cause what they are going in is still being made... but overall great pickups for that price.