I am going to buy myself a new amplifier and I have my mind set on these two: Peavey Vypyr 60W Tube and the Fender Mustang III. Both of them to about the same price (The Peavey is on more than 50% off sale).
I play a wide variety of genres but mostly rock, hard rock and some metal, all both old school and newer.
Which one would be the best for me? Or best valued?

Thanks in advance!
why do you want modeling amps?

i personally think the vypyrs sound terrible, but thats just me. and i use a peavey haha
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
if your going to play any form of hard rock or metal dont go with the mustang, i would say go for the vypyr but really i would say save your money longer and get a good amp like a 3120 or a 6505. I have had alot of amps and so far all have been sold or traded. Get something of really good quality.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Thanks for quick replies!

The reason I am choosing between those is because they have a lot of built in amp models, and that appeals me since I am not sure what kind of amp suits me and my playing best. Of course not as good as getting the real deal but still it feels like it's giving a wider range of options.
well the peavey is a lot better value, so keep that in mind.

I haven't tried either, so I can't really advise on that.

What type of stuff do you play and what other options do you have?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Zvenne
Thanks for quick replies!

The reason I am choosing between those is because they have a lot of built in amp models, and that appeals me since I am not sure what kind of amp suits me and my playing best. Of course not as good as getting the real deal but still it feels like it's giving a wider range of options.

That's a perfectly good reason to get a modeling amp. At this point in your playing a modeling amp would be perfect for you. Out of those two i have only tried the Vyper and it is definitely a solid choice for finding your sound and home practice.

Will you be using it to play in a band or jam with a drummer? If not why not just get a lower wattage version of the Vyper for cheaper?
I hate my sig
just cuz you have all the amp models doesnt meant they are steller. anything with any od or distortion vcan be handled with a 6505+, great value on used gear, i figure you barely want to spendthat much so i wont recommend higher stuff.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I would look into a roland cube. I think they sound better than the vypyr, but that is probably just personal taste.

Having said that, if you dont need a new amp right away, dont get one. Do research on bigger better amps while you save up for them. I made the mistake of buying sort of a middle of the line amp and then a half stack eight months later. Now I am left with a fifty watt i never play...

I always think its better to save up.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
@quantum my comment wasnt in response to yours just so you know haha
I agree that they are good begginers but i have no idea of his leve of playing. jsut from experience i got a spider from line 6, and it really wasnt bad, but i should never have gotten that, the a peavey xxl, then a 6505+, when i could have gone straight to 6505+ or at least skipped the xxl. i should have waited and saved for a little bit more, and instead i lost money in the long run. yea know?
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Wow, didn't expect that many replies so fast! I have really gotten some tings to think about. As Quantum said I don't know exactly what "my sound" is or what I am after. On the other hand you guys seem to think I should buy a more expensive one right away anyhow? Regarding my level of playing, I have been playing for almost a year soon and I guess you can say I have left the beginner stage a while ago.
have the money to buy myself a more expensive amp but then again, I am not exactly sure what I am looking for. Which takes me back to square one!

edit: The reason I want that Vypyr and not for example one at a lower wattage is that it is a tube amp at 60W. The lower ones are just ordinary solid state I believe. The second reason is that it has several different amp models built-in. Also I'll use it mainly for home practice but also jamming with friends.
Last edited by Zvenne at Mar 29, 2011,
I just mought the MIII and I really like it. The cleans on it are very nice. The distortion,while not the best is in the world, is quite useable. Even the built in effects are pretty decent. Keep in mind it is a modeler and not the greatest amp in the world,but it really is a pretty good overall amp. The Fuse software is pretty amazing as well. The amp is very "tweakable". Do yourself a favor and check it out.
I second the advice to take your time with an amp purchase and get really comfortable with what amp you want to buy ahead of time if at all possible (play it a lot in your local guitar shop). The idea to keep saving up while you make your decision is a good one. I know it might be tempting to jump on a deal when you see it but if you don't really know what you're buying or how it stacks up against other gear you might want more just a little later down the road--well just think of it this way. If you end up buying the cheap thing while its on sale, then later you don't like it and you end up buying another amp, you probably ended up paying more than the full price anyway!
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by rawkandrowl
I second the advice to take your time with an amp purchase and get really comfortable with what amp you want to buy ahead of time if at all possible (play it a lot in your local guitar shop). The idea to keep saving up while you make your decision is a good one. I know it might be tempting to jump on a deal when you see it but if you don't really know what you're buying or how it stacks up against other gear you might want more just a little later down the road--well just think of it this way. If you end up buying the cheap thing while its on sale, then later you don't like it and you end up buying another amp, you probably ended up paying more than the full price anyway!

That is probably the way I'd go about if I actually knew which type of amp I was looking for, but the thing is I have absolutely no idea, that's why I thought an amp like these could help me make my decision. Although I think you're right, I'll probably spend more money than needed but then at least I'll know for sure that I'll get the right amp for me rather than buying something I think is good and then get all disappointed.
Quote by Katsock

i personally think the vypyrs sound terrible, but thats just me. and i use a peavey haha

Why not stop giving "advice" about how horrible modeling amps are and pay attention?

A fender Mustang III has a street price of about $250 this establishes the implied budget of around $200-300

The Vypyr 60 AKA a Vypyr tube is a much better amp.

It's arguably the best modeling amp ever built it has real tube tone and the versatility of a modeling amp with all the little goodies like a USB port etc.

EDIT:

Quote by QuantumMechanix
That's a perfectly good reason to get a modeling amp. At this point in your playing a modeling amp would be perfect for you. Out of those two i have only tried the Vyper and it is definitely a solid choice for finding your sound and home practice.

Will you be using it to play in a band or jam with a drummer? If not why not just get a lower wattage version of the Vyper for cheaper?

Getting a Vypyr Tube for less than $300 is a great deal.

That Vypyr Tube will meet the TS needs for a very long time.

Any other time that Vypyr tube would be well out of their implied price range

Getting a Vypyr tube for the price of a solid state is a no brainier.

The TS should jump on it before whoever they're getting it from comes to their senses.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Mar 29, 2011,
Quote by Willowthewitch
Why not stop giving "advice" about how horrible modeling amps are and pay attention?

A fender Mustang III has a street price of about $250 this establishes the implied budget of around $200-300

The Vypyr 60 AKA a Vypyr tube is a much better amp.

It's arguably the best modeling amp ever built it has real tube tone and the versatility of a modeling amp with all the little goodies like a USB port etc.

EDIT:

Getting a Vypyr Tube for less than $300 is a great deal.

That Vypyr Tube will meet the TS needs for a very long time.

Any other time that Vypyr tube would be well out of their implied price range

Getting a Vypyr tube for the price of a solid state is a no brainier.

The TS should jump on it before whoever they're getting it from comes to their senses.

that was just a question i asked the guy. i also gave my opinion

we had no idea that if he wanted a gigging amp or a practice amp, a modeler to figure out his own sound and such

whats so wrong with my first question? and i have my own opinion theres nothing wrong with that
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
+1 to the vypyr tube for your scenerio. the are by far the best modeling amps out there besides axe-fx (which obviously there is a significant $$$ difference).

but that is just echoing everybody else's opinion which is useless since it has been said. here is what i thing may be in order.

spend some time and mess around with different tones, or even listen to the ever-cursed youtube videos of some of the sounds you like and figure out what you like.

because you may be able to find your tone faster than you think.

IIRC the vypyr has a "tweed" like setting on it, and being of your stated influences, that may or may not be usefull or used enough to justify having a modeling amp.

for example if you are into a lot of rock based, and maybe a little bit of metal, while still having a nice clean channel that you could throw an od to, the Peavey valve king may be an option. they can approach metal if the od is used on the dirty channel. even a VTM.

or maybe you are into more of a new rock/metal school and would do well with a Peavey Ultra, (which you could find used in that range), or an XXX.

i am not throwing ideas out with no purpose to say you shoudlnt' go modeling, because i agree you have a good use for a modeling amplifier, i am just saying that maybe you could find your tone sooner and get something that will sound better for what you need it for most.

my biggest pet peeve about modeling amps are the people (not saying you) buy a modeling amp for the features then leave it on one setting the whole amp's life. to me, that is wasted tone.

but again if you feel you need to find your tone, the vypyr is the way to go.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I hate how I come into these threads and everyone responds with "6505!!!1!1111!!!!!!1!!!!"

I ****ing hate the tone from that amp, I just really dislike it. I would honestly rather have the Vypyr in this situation
if youre looking for a modeling amp and set on that decision, i would say go for a Vox VT series. i have an AD100VT and i love the hell out of it.
I can get anything from perfect SRV and Hendrix tones to Megadeth Iron Maiden and Suicidal Tendencies
Thanks for all the good advice! I think I'll buy the Vypyr, altough I'll keep that Vox VT Series in mind, I had a quick look at it and it looked good. Not sure if they have those in store where I live unfortunately.
the vox won't do modern metal.

Get the vypyr.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Gundamnitpete
the vox won't do modern metal.

Get the vypyr.

Okay, well the Vypyr is my main choice so I'll go wit that! Thanks for the help UG.
vox wont do metal? are you kidding me dude? it has higain uk 70 uk 80s uk modern and boutique OD, all of which do metal FAN****INGTASTICALLY if you EQ it right
Quote by Katsock
that was just a question i asked the guy. i also gave my opinion

we had no idea that if he wanted a gigging amp or a practice amp, a modeler to figure out his own sound and such

whats so wrong with my first question? and i have my own opinion theres nothing wrong with that

Basically you're a lair or think that people can't read and comprehend what you posted?

This is what you stated

Quote by Katsock

You asked a condescending "question" and followed by a sweeping statement about how horrible you think Vypyrs are.

What that shows is you're so busy hating modeling amps and Vypyrs in particular.

That you missed something very important. One of the amps was a Vypyr tube and the Fender was the solid state

Frankly it should be a non brainier it really doesn't matter what the TS plans to do. Getting a Vypyr tube at half price is something you're foolish not to do. That kind of opportunity just doesn't come along all that often.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
TS the vypyr is easily IMO the best moddler on the market (with the exception of the axe fx) and i could gig with the tube ones and have no issues. i like it even more than more expensive moddlers like the line 6 vetta. it can do bedroom practice and you can gig with it no problem. the mustang isnt too bad but the vypyr blows it away IMO. the valvetronics isnt bad either, a friend of mine used one in a punk band and it sounded great.
I can vouch for the Vypyr tube being a fantastic amp. It sounded just as good for metal as the 6505 for me when I tested them both, and it is versatile as hell, and has a really nice quality USB recording feature, definitely better than any other modellers on the market (bar Axe - FX)
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Quote by Willowthewitch
Basically you're a lair or think that people can't read and comprehend what you posted?

This is what you stated

You asked a condescending "question" and followed by a sweeping statement about how horrible you think Vypyrs are.

What that shows is you're so busy hating modeling amps and Vypyrs in particular.

That you missed something very important. One of the amps was a Vypyr tube and the Fender was the solid state

Frankly it should be a non brainier it really doesn't matter what the TS plans to do. Getting a Vypyr tube at half price is something you're foolish not to do. That kind of opportunity just doesn't come along all that often.

i wasnt trying be condescending at all, sorry if thats what you thought. the only reason i dont like vypers is because ive played thru and performed with them and SORRY that they arent my cup of tea. i have NOTHING against modeling amps, have owned a spider, even mentioned it in another post i made, and would still have it if it didnt fry.

i know that one is tube and that the other isnt, but he never said, that he was looking for tube, that he wanted something to just explore with, or to gig with or bedroom levels or whatever, it was right after his FIRST POST.

and just saying, if he were to buy the vypyr half price, and hate it, he may be out of the money. he may be able to flip it, but he may not.
i once again dont hate modelers,

i personally think that the Vox VT15 is like the greatest little amp to ever practice through in a dorm or bedroom setting. and i like the features of the vypyrs, jsut not the sounds.

chill out
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by SKArface McDank
vox wont do metal? are you kidding me dude? it has higain uk 70 uk 80s uk modern and boutique OD, all of which do metal FAN****INGTASTICALLY if you EQ it right

Maybe they're talking about the original AD series VT the high gain settings just aren't as good as the ones on the VT+ series.

While the VOX VT+ aren't as nice a Vypyr tube IMHO they're pretty nice.

At the risk of sounding like a Vox rep the valve reactor circuit get's way better tone than the average SS amp

I got my VT20+ at a really good price $100 because of cosmetic damage from being on the floor at the local music store.

I paid twice that for a Fender Mustang that isn't nearly as good an amp.

The Fender does do some neat things at that price point. It's got really good computer interface. It's also basically tethered to the laptop to get it do anything worth while.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Last edited by Willowthewitch at Mar 31, 2011,
Quote by Zvenne
That is probably the way I'd go about if I actually knew which type of amp I was looking for, but the thing is I have absolutely no idea, that's why I thought an amp like these could help me make my decision. Although I think you're right, I'll probably spend more money than needed but then at least I'll know for sure that I'll get the right amp for me rather than buying something I think is good and then get all disappointed.

Here's what I'd do: take a saturday when you've got about 2 hours free, go to the nearest guitar center, and play every amp in the place without paying attention to the price tags. Set all the knobs to 12:00 and then fiddle around with them as needed. I've actually been pleasantly surprised by some gear by doing exactly that. By the time you're done, you should have a better idea of what you're looking for. The other thing about the Vypyr is that they have more models than you're ever going to use - if you're trying to figure out your sound, that's fine, but once you've figured it out you're not going to have much use for the boatload of features that aren't a part of that sound. If you don't have access to a store with a good selection, find a vypyr to play through and just scroll through the models (green and red) to get a better idea of what you're looking for.

Also, if you let us know what musical style you play it would make helping you out here quite a bit easier.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Mar 30, 2011,
Quote by Katsock
i wasnt trying be condescending at all, sorry if thats what you thought.

i know that one is tube and that the other isnt, but he never said, that he was looking for tube, that he wanted something to just explore with, or to gig with or bedroom levels or whatever, it was right after his FIRST POST.

Sorry I get so tired of all the hate directed at modelers from some members of the UG community

and just saying, if he were to buy the vypyr half price, and hate it, he may be out of the money. he may be able to flip it, but he may not. once again dont hate modelers,

Actually I was basing getting the Vypyr tube on how popular Vypyr tubes are. They're pretty easy to flip the TS might even make a profit on the flip

i personally think that the Vox VT15 is like the greatest little amp to ever practice through in a dorm or bedroom setting. and i like the features of the vypyrs, jsut not the sounds.

chill out

For what it's worth the Vox VT20+ is even better than the VT15

The Mustang has it's own issues see my other post.

Their are some very good reasons that a VT15 or the new improved VT20+ cost almost twice what a Vypyr 15 does.

I won't claim to be the worlds authority of modelers. I have spent a fair amount of time comparing them over the last couple of months.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Last edited by Willowthewitch at Mar 31, 2011,
i know its easy to flip, but not always possible, even selling a brand new mesa doesnt mean you will get a buyer. that really sucks.

and i only know about my vox comment because ive spent time on a friends practicing alot in between classes, i play thru alot of amps alot, but sadly vox isnt one of them =/ played a great one and the litle modeler and then i just never played another one. never had the opportunity,
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify