analogue ones are, er, analogue and digital ones are digital (though some digital ones pretend to be analogue, so watch out for those).

Generally, digital ones have much more hi-fi like repeats, while analogue ones sound warmer and the repeats decay a bit. Just depends on what you want to use them for.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The majority of delay pedals are digital. It is widely considered to be the more practical route as it offers a great variety of tones.

My Skreddy Echo, for instance, an expensive boutique delay, is of analog and digital design, both mixed together. It uses digital processing power to reproduce the guitar signal (repeats) but never actually changes the guitar to digital at any time; it remains an analog path.

To me, not a single analog delay I've ever experienced has come close to how natural, warm and organic it sounds. So kick out the idea that digital means "digital", that it will only sound clean and hi-fi.

Dave is right, though. In general, digital delay pedals sound more pronounced, stiff, clean and hi-fi. Analog, then, sounds dirtier, darker as the trails tail off, and less versatile in the way of features.

If you were the type who used a lot of different types of delay and desired a repeat structure that cut through in the mix very accurately, then a digital model will be for you. I can almost guarantee that.

If, though, you use delay as a regular and sweet addition to your tone, and you want beautiful self-oscillation and aren't that fussed about features, a purely analog delay would be better.

The best, though, is a hybrid, in my opinion. The Subdecay Echo Box, Skreddy Echo, Diamond Memory Lane Jr, Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport Delay, Lovepedal Echo Baby, Pigtronix Echolution, Red Witch Titan Delay. All these pedals are digital with an analog signal path.
Well, you have a few options when it comes to wanting an analog and digital sound..

You can go the digital avenue, where you get all the advantages of a digi delay, but with analog sounds (modeled after a true analog delay). A lot of modern digital delays have options for analog delays. I.E. TCE Nova, L6 DL4/M series, Timefactor, EHX Memory Mans (esp. the new ones), Stry Timeline (undeniably the king of all delays IMO) , Timebender, and a plethora of others.

Or you can go the legitmate analog route, and have two delays, a digital and an analog. I also know many people who do this.

I find with delays, once you buy one, you never stop.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Zamorak

I find with delays, once you buy one, you never stop.

I bought a MXR Carbon Copy and stopped.
Quote by Razbo
I bought a MXR Carbon Copy and stopped.

Same here!!!
Gear: Fender Custom 3 Pickup Telecaster, Fender American Std Telecaster ('10 3burst), Fender Kurt Cobain Jag, Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange Tiny Terror HW + PPC112, Marshall JCM-1H, Vox Night Train NT15H, Fender Champ 600.
Quote by Zamorak
A lot of modern digital delays have options for analog delays. I.E. TCE Nova, L6 DL4/M series, Timefactor, EHX Memory Mans (esp. the new ones), Stry Timeline (undeniably the king of all delays IMO) , Timebender, and a plethora of others.

Since when are the EHX Memory Mans digital?

EDIT: Not counting the SMMwH, of course

The rest of this is true though, and recently I've found that I'm preferring the sound of the analog mode on my DL-8 to my actually analog EHX Memory Boy. Though that may be because the Memory Boy's being a bit noisy atm.
Ibanez Musician ('78)/Epiphone G-400/Fender Lite Ash Telecaster/Michael Kelly Valor X->Polytune->EX-7->Crybaby->OD-9->BD-2->EVH Phase 90->Hayden Mofo

Send->EHX DMB->DL-8->RV600->Return

Friends are like potatoes: If you eat them, they die.
Quote by Bleach265
analog mode on my DL-8
That's where it's at, man.
404: Sig not found.
"Analog modes" on many digital pedals just tend to add a filter in the signal path to make it sound like an analog delay. The signal path is still digital. Though they do model analog sounds relatively well.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by AngryGoldfish

Dave is right, though. In general, digital delay pedals sound more pronounced, stiff, clean and hi-fi. Analog, then, sounds dirtier, darker as the trails tail off, and less versatile in the way of features.

oh yeah, sure, that was only a gross generalisation.

If you're looking at the more usual mass-produced ones, what I said is normally the case.

if you're looking boutique, then things get a lot more complicated and you can't generalise as much. Only boutique delay I think I've tried was the t-rex replica, and it's digital, but it sounded pretty warm and awesome.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?