So I finally tried Dunlop Eric Johnson Jazz IIIs.
I kept reading everywhere that they were very good picks. About 60% of all "What picks do you use?" type of threads recommends them.
They only come in 6 packs where I come from worth probably around 5$ a pack. That's equivalent to 5 full meals in my country.

When I tested them, they were ROCK HARD I could hardly get to the next string with fluidity. Also they sound "muted", I could hardly get that scratchy sound Paul Gilbert
uses when he picks.

I tried scratching the strings and no sound either. Worst picks I've ever gotten. Extremely disappointed.
you should try go onto dunlop's site to complain, not here. i've used jazz III's for the last 4 months or so and i wouldnt go back to 'regular' shaped/sized
DIMETHYLTRYPTAMINE
lol
I've never had those problems with Jazz III's. Though I use the black ones, not the eric johnson ones. Thats odd, mine always sound sharp and pic slides worked fine. They actually improved my picking
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
you signed up to ug to complain about that wow..... well ive had the small shredd type jazz 3's for a year tnow and i havnt used anything since great. you should of atleasted tried one out before buying a pack and why eric johnson picks just cus its got eric johnson on them doesnt mean there right for you.
This is a MotherFxcking Invatation
Never had a problem with those picks, though I prefer the Dunlop M3.

Also, well, they're picks. It hardly gets any more subjective than that. Tough luck, but we all run into gear that's not suitable for us sooner or later.
$5 for a pack of 6...

Dont buy V picks if you think thats over priced.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Jazz III XL or whatever they are called is what I used, best things I have used so far.

edit: oh and don't expect a pick to make you play like someone else. It is his signature pick because it fits his needs, maybe not yours.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
Last edited by butterfingers30 at Mar 29, 2011,
It's funny, because of (losing my fav. pick.. AND )everybody being so hyped about Jazz III's I bought 3 of em, about 2 weeks ago. After trying a Jazz III out, I was soo disappointed and I just coudn't understand why everybody liked em so much. I wrote to my guitar teacher if he had found my pick in the 'class room' and told him I bought the Jazz pick and that I hated em.
A day later, a friend of mine told me 'it's not the pick, it's the player'. Even though he was kidding and doesnt know shit about guitar I started practicing with the picks. Now, I like em even more than I like(d) my ex-favorite pick my teacher found. Ive noticed that my technique was a bit wrong and how the JazzIII helped me!

If you don't like em, than so be it To me, they helped my picking technique alot
Since you mentioned Paul Gilbert... I can't help but think perhaps you just like floppy picks? I know Gilbert uses really thin picks.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Try filing down the tip, when your standing the pick isn't gonna be straight, so you need file down the sides that will be played more.

This normally happens just by actually playing with the pick, or getting a nail file.

And if you still don't like it, BUY ANOTHER PICK! Common sense is like pure gold these days, use it.
Quote by Musicman48858
Since you mentioned Paul Gilbert... I can't help but think perhaps you just like floppy picks? I know Gilbert uses really thin picks.

Yeah. My favorite picks are actually in the 0.5 - 0.45mm range. I even sand them every now and then to get that scratchy sound.
I just bought Jazz IIIs to see what the hype was all about. The problem was when I sand them they still wouldn't produce that sound. Even my friend who's been playing for 7 years now recommends them so...
Nylon picks like the Jazz III produce very little picking noise. If you want a scratching sound from the pick, they're not what you should look at. (In addition, I don't understand how the scratching sound - something that comes from poor picking-technique - is in any form desireable .)
You're probably doin it wrong.

But nonetheless, it's about preference, I recently got me some Sharp Dunlop Tortex picks, they are my new favorites. I can go back to JAzz IIIs whenever I want though
Quote by Re1Mu2R3
So I finally tried Dunlop Eric Johnson Jazz IIIs.
I kept reading everywhere that they were very good picks. About 60% of all "What picks do you use?" type of threads recommends them.
They only come in 6 packs where I come from worth probably around 5$ a pack. That's equivalent to 5 full meals in my country.

When I tested them, they were ROCK HARD I could hardly get to the next string with fluidity. Also they sound "muted", I could hardly get that scratchy sound Paul Gilbert
uses when he picks.

I tried scratching the strings and no sound either. Worst picks I've ever gotten. Extremely disappointed.

maybe you are holding onto it very hard...? i dont like Jazz IIIs due to the small size, but i love the tone from the black ones. If you are having trouble getting the pick to the next string i start wondering if you are not gripping the pick properly.
Sounds like you aren't using them right. I can get Paul Gilbert with mine.
PM to contact me -- For Sale:
ESP X-Tone series hard case
Big Muff Pi
MXR 10 Band EQ (maybe)
Boss RV-3
I started using Jazz 111's about a week ago because Joe Bonamassa threw one at me when I saw him last week. I caught it, I used it, I loved it! There were right hand adjustments I had to make but well worth it for me. Now my picking hand is more precise.
Quote by Re1Mu2R3

What country are you from? I'm hungry
Quote by Meelad360
Hungary.

Hungry for Hungary

My girlfriend is actually visiting your fine country right at this moment.

Cheers
Like Quail already said, the Jazz III, particularly the EJ sig, doesn't make a lot of pick noise when hitting the strings. This works for EJ because he likes a very smooth, compressed bowed type attack. Paul Gilbert's attack is very prominent and percussive. The scratchy sound comes from his pick angle. Technically, your pick should be parallel to the strings but many 'shredders' and even guys in other genres angle the pick so less material contacts the string, leading to less friction.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
ive never heard of these problems.....but ive never used the EJ jazz III's. all i know is that i will never go back to normal picks unless i play acoustic. they just clean up my playing so much its like cheating
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I dig the Jazz III XL's. They're slightly larger than the standard III's but still have the grip and sharp tip. If I'm doing super fast stuff, I'll use those. If I'm doing primarily rhythm work or heavy-handed attack I switch over the the Ultex Sharps, which are a bit larger still.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Well, it's a pick, it's not gonna make you a shred god and a chorus of angels descend from on high as you delve into the most beautiful string skipping of diminished 7th triads while hot chicks start flashing you while you're walking down the street...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Well, it's a pick, it's not gonna make you a shred god and a chorus of angels descend from on high as you delve into the most beautiful string skipping of diminished 7th triads while hot chicks start flashing you while you're walking down the street...

I nominate this for post of the day.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
well, sorry man. each to his own. i personally prefer dunlop stubbys to the jazz series. they run about .50 cents a pick.

but talk about wasted money when bedroom players in here are dropping hundred on boutique pedals, or buying 2000-3000 dollarsa for amps. of high end insturment cables and such. V picks are perfect examples. like $20 dollars a pick.

hell, $5 isnt enough for 1 lunch in the US unless your buying a kids meal. (or cooking for yourself)

that is crazy though. i would probably be so frustrated if i lived in another country. i can barely buy guitar gear in the US as it is being a college student. i cant wait till i get a decent salary job and thank god places lik GC and musicians friend finanace. AMP and Guitar baby!!!!! finially i get to puts some NGD and NAD on here. whooo.
don't bitch about picks because you read that someone else found they great...
great is a word filled with taste/opinion, i for example prefer myself ,71 picks while a mate of mine prefer 1,3 and someone else i know prefer everything under 0,65.
Quote by Business
Hungry for Hungary

My girlfriend is actually visiting your fine country right at this moment.

Cheers

/offtopic

Obviously he's not from Hungary because for 5 bucks you can't buy jack shit over there. Hungary is way more expansive than US for sure.