Page 1 of 2
Hello me again. lets cut to the chace.

I want to by new pickups, like the emg 81/85 or 81/60 BUT i want something much much cheaper! they are to expenisvie for my tastes...are there any budget pickups that sound as good or better than emgs? thanks
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
So basically you want even better pickups than the expensive one with a very good reputation
but you want them to be dirt cheap well good luck with that
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

no i mean is there anything as good or POSSIBLEY better for less than 200 bucks a pair. i was looking for at the absolute most 100 bucks for a pair.
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
I want a Porsche but I don't want to pay the money for one. Is there a car that I can get that's around the price of a Corolla that is just as good or better?
Out of curiosity, what kind of tone are you going for? Your avatar makes me think metal, but the Valve Special in your sig is on the other side of the tonal spectrum, sooo... what the hell is going on in here?
Quote by al112987
I want a Porsche but I don't want to pay the money for one. Is there a car that I can get that's around the price of a Corolla that is just as good or better?

I asked for help! why is everyone giving me this crap! Come on! you gonna tell me that EMG are the best pickups in the world and nothing can even come close to them?
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Maybe sell your frontman and marshall to fund better pickups? Or better yet, to fund a better amp.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by Major Sparky
Maybe sell your frontman and marshall to fund better pickups? Or better yet, to fund a better amp.

what is everyones problem? I hate the fender, the marshall is actualy pretty good, and i have an AMAZING amp already. im not selling anything! its sentimental! I asked for pickups and your giving me this crap? dont respond then.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by TheQuailman
Out of curiosity, what kind of tone are you going for? Your avatar makes me think metal, but the Valve Special in your sig is on the other side of the tonal spectrum, sooo... what the hell is going on in here?

He probably uses the Marshall G30 for metal.
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
I asked for help! why is everyone giving me this crap! Come on! you gonna tell me that EMG are the best pickups in the world and nothing can even come close to them?

Well, you said you wanted EMG's but couldn't afford them. Manufacturing active pickups is more difficult than passive ones, hence fewer companies make them, and I can't think of any decent ones cheaper than EMG's themselves (how much do Duncan Blackouts cost?)

If there was something cheap that was similar, we'd have told you, but alas there isn't. Why not try some passive pickups?
Quote by Jarrodthebobo

That IS help. He restated exactly what you said in your original post.

And everyone has already answered you. NO. Cheap pickups will sound cheap no matter what.

Honestly, I'd pass on the EMGs. They only sound decent at best if they have the 18v mod. And Bareknuckle's passives are so much better.

AND FOR THE GODDAMNED RECORD.

Changing pickups with a bad amp (like yours; don't take offense, it's true) will make almost NO DIFFERENCE in your sound.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Jarrodthebobo

Sure there are things that come close to or are comparable to EMGs, but they cost just as much. You get what you pay for. Or to be more precise: You don't get what you don't pay for.

Still interested in what tones you are seeking btw.
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
what is everyones problem? I hate the fender, the marshall is actualy pretty good, and i have an AMAZING amp already. im not selling anything! its sentimental! I asked for pickups and your giving me this crap? dont respond then.

Chill. Answer the questions you have been asked. Then chill some more.
Quote by stratman_13
That IS help. He restated exactly what you said in your original post.

And everyone has already answered you. NO. Cheap pickups will sound cheap no matter what.

Honestly, I'd pass on the EMGs. They only sound decent at best if they have the 18v mod. And Bareknuckle's passives are so much better.

AND FOR THE GODDAMNED RECORD.

Changing pickups with a bad amp (like yours; don't take offense, it's true) will make almost NO DIFFERENCE in your sound.

THANKS THATS WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR! THIS IS WHAT I MEAN!

Why is my amp bad though? My epiphone valve special sounds amazing to me. once you add overdrive you can use it for metal as well as rock. The marshall sounds good to, but only for gain cranking metal. i dont use it much. but my guitar is the esp/lsd f-50 which doesnt have the best pickups in the world and is why i want to replace them.ON A SIDENOTE! I ONLY USE THE FENDER FRONTMAN FOR PRACTICE IN MY OFFICE!!!
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
A Marshall will eat yours for breakfast. Your ears probably haven't fully developed yet, honestly.

Granted, this is a high quality Marshall clone (better than the real one ), but this is what Marshalls/Marshall-like amps are supposed to sound like: Metroamp 68.

No pedals, no nothing. Straight to guitar. Put an overdrive in front and you have awesome.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
THANKS THATS WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR! THIS IS WHAT I MEAN!

Why is my amp bad though? My epiphone valve special sounds amazing to me. once you add overdrive you can use it for metal as well as rock. The marshall sounds good to, but only for gain cranking metal. i dont use it much. but my guitar is the esp/lsd f-50 which doesnt have the best pickups in the world and is why i want to replace them.ON A SIDENOTE! I ONLY USE THE FENDER FRONTMAN FOR PRACTICE IN MY OFFICE!!!

It's a cheap valve amp. One of the cheapest there is. How long have you been playing by the way? Your ear for tone may not have developed yet.

EDIT: Wait, is it even a valve amp? I found it under the hybrid section on Musicians Friend.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Last edited by Major Sparky at Mar 29, 2011,
Quote by Major Sparky
It's a cheap valve amp. One of the cheapest there is. How long have you been playing by the way? Your ear for tone may not have developed yet.

EDIT: Wait, is it even a valve amp? I found it under the hybrid section on Musicians Friend.

Its a class a tube ampliefer...dont think its a cheapy pecie of junk....sure its cheap, but it doesnt sound cheap. well the speaker is cheap...thats all i know. Ive been told by at least 10 people how good the special is, so i found one for a good price. my teacher loves it to! with gain cranked i get a great cream tone! i like the tone it sounds great IMO.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Major Sparky

yeah it is. i checked the back, you can see the tubes in all there glory. 1 power tube and 2 preamps. i think i may have an older model BTW if it matters.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by TheQuailman
Are you going to tell me what tones you are after today or am I supposed to wait here forever? I have stuff to do, y'know.

lol okay.

Currently im playing mostly black sabbath and sunshine of your love (the song!) im currently on a quest for a song that makes me want to play it! but right now im with sabbath XD. But like i said, with the valve special, all it takes is an overdrive pedal XD
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
The sound of EMGs is not even close to the sound on Sunshine of your love. Nor is it anything close to classic Sabbath.
Quote by al112987
The sound of EMGs is not even close to the sound on Sunshine of your love. Nor is it anything close to classic Sabbath.

i know! im not exclusively into those bands and songs. im on a quest for some good music and cant find much
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
lol okay.

Currently im playing mostly black sabbath and sunshine of your love (the song!) im currently on a quest for a song that makes me want to play it! but right now im with sabbath XD. But like i said, with the valve special, all it takes is an overdrive pedal XD

Then EMG humbuckers are the wrong pups for you. All you need is a set of low to medium output 'buckers and a good drive pedal in combination with your Valve Special. The Seymour Duncan '59 is a nice, affordable pup that's available as a set for a good price:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Vintage-Blues-59-Humbucker-Set-?sku=300022
Quote by TheQuailman
Then EMG humbuckers are the wrong pups for you. All you need is a set of low to medium output 'buckers and a good drive pedal in combination with your Valve Special. The Seymour Duncan '59 is a nice, affordable pup that's available as a set for a good price:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Vintage-Blues-59-Humbucker-Set-?sku=300022

thanks ill check that out XD mabye ill finally find my tone!
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by TheQuailman

just did a quick looksy of the pups, they are in my pricerang fo sho. But can i really get that dirty crunchy gain sound with these? the demo i heard was more blusey than i thoughjt...
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Sure thing, up to Guns 'n' Roses levels of gain these things are pretty much ideal. They can also be used for higher gain stuff, most distortion pedals have enough gain as it is anyway.
Quote by TheQuailman
Sure thing, up to Guns 'n' Roses levels of gain these things are pretty much ideal. They can also be used for higher gain stuff, most distortion pedals have enough gain as it is anyway.

okay good. thats what i wanted to hear . now what pup should i pair it with for the neck position? another 59? or something different? or is there a paired set for a bridge version and neck version and are the different?
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Uh, did you click the link I posted? It leads to a set of '59s, bridge and neck, at 130 bucks. You could go for something slightly hotter in the bridge if you wanted, but I really don't see the need in your case. A pair of '59s should serve you well.
Quote by TheQuailman
Uh, did you click the link I posted? It leads to a set of '59s, bridge and neck, at 130 bucks. You could go for something slightly hotter in the bridge if you wanted, but I really don't see the need in your case. A pair of '59s should serve you well.

i just had one of those "herp a Derp" moments XD. thanks for the help. now hopefully my parents will let me take MY MONEY OUT OF MY BANK ACCOUNT!
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by TheQuailman
Lol, who said it was crap? Epi tube amps outside of the Valve Junior are pretty damn nice if you ask me.

i didnt say u said it
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
isn't there a GFS alternative to the 59 set? it would be cheaper.

a used set of pearly gates would work too.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
isn't there a GFS alternative to the 59 set? it would be cheaper.

a used set of pearly gates would work too.

like i said, ill keep on lookin XD
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Page 1 of 2