Hey all.
So I heard this shit about the edge III trem dies.
Is this true?
If yes how long does it take because mine is just fine.
I actually don't know where people are complaining about.
Thanks in advance.
It's the general rule with all knife edge FR style trem systems that the knife edges dull eventually (which I assume is what you mean by "die") and, with the Edge III like most others, if you use it more, they go dull. It's pretty much a given with floyd style bridges (except for the ZR or the Edge Zero trems that roll on ball bearings as opposed to knife edges). It's not that it dies, because you can sharpen the knife edges again, but they will eventually get to a point where you just can't sharpen them anymore, although I have no idea how long that would take. Complaints about the Edge III though are that the knife edges aren't replaceable and, where as other trems you can just replace the blade, the Edge III itself, apart from sharpening, must be entirely replaced. It's really up to usage. If you are constantly diving and pulling up on it it will "die" quicker but if you rarely use a trem other than for some vibrato and the occasional dive bomb, there really shouldn't ever be a problem like that. I assume that is what you're talking about haha. I don't have a ton of experience with the Edge III but that's the general consensus for knife edge trems. Also, little tip, a little bit of chapstick, not even joking, on the knife edges where they meet the posts is a great way to keep the knife edges lasting longer, as well as create a smoother feel.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Last edited by Krauser at Mar 29, 2011,
Quote by Krauser
It's the general rule with all knife edge FR style trem systems that the knife edges dull eventually (which I assume is what you mean by "die") and, with the Edge III like most others, if you use it more, they go dull. It's pretty much a given with floyd style bridges (except for the ZR or the Edge Zero trems that roll on ball bearings as opposed to knife edges). It's not that it dies, because you can sharpen the knife edges again, but they will eventually get to a point where you just can't sharpen them anymore, although I have no idea how long that would take. Complaints about the Edge III though are that the knife edges aren't replaceable and, where as other trems you can just replace the blade, the Edge III itself, apart from sharpening, must be entirely replaced. It's really up to usage. If you are constantly diving and pulling up on it it will "die" quicker but if you rarely use a trem other than for some vibrato and the occasional dive bomb, there really shouldn't ever be a problem like that. I assume that is what you're talking about haha. I don't have a ton of experience with the Edge III but that's the general consensus for knife edge trems. Also, little tip, a little bit of chapstick, not even joking, on the knife edges where they meet the posts is a great way to keep the knife edges lasting longer, as well as create a smoother feel.

Well there is a trick I did which also helps against pull ups going out of tune.
It's getting some lubricant on the knife edges.
It tends to get ripped on the fact that the knife edges tend to ware down very fast, which is pretty understandable if Ibanez wants to cut cost by using cheap metal. If your paranoid about what will happen with your guitar, just don't bother about it, keep playing. If it does start acting funky on you, sell the guitar, or pick up an OFR which is a direct fit for an Edge 3.
Quote by Ghold125
It tends to get ripped on the fact that the knife edges tend to ware down very fast, which is pretty understandable if Ibanez wants to cut cost by using cheap metal. If your paranoid about what will happen with your guitar, just don't bother about it, keep playing. If it does start acting funky on you, sell the guitar, or pick up an OFR which is a direct fit for an Edge 3.

I think the lube idea is good as it's only the knife edges that get ruined.
It's what the others have said - the Edge III is made out of cheap alloys.
After a while, like most dual-locking systems, this means the part connecting the actual bridge to its posts will go dull, meaning it won't return to its original place quite as easily - For what you'd notice, it would go out of tune after every use when it does. The worst thing is, the knife edges can't be replaced without swapping in a new bridge altogether.

Luckily though, an Edge III is a direct swap for an Original Floyd Rose, which is made of better alloys and will not wear down as fast. Bonus points for replacable knife edges - if they wear down, just ask a tech to replace them.
Another option would be an original Edge, which is similarly made out of sturdy, long-lasting alloys. However, I don't think the knife edges are replacable on that one either.

A third option (though probably way more expensive) is to have it re-routed for a ball-bearing trem (eg Vigier Excalibur-style or Ibanez ZR).
The upside is that these will pretty much never wear down to the point where it goes out of tune. The downside is that you'll probably have to re-route the entire damn thing - not something you'd do for a laugh (and surely not something a tech will do cheaply either). That, and I have no clue where to get the Vigier-style trem.

Lubricating the trem is delaying the inevitable, in my opinion - It can help you enjoy a trem just a bit longer, but it'll wear down further to the point where there's no saving it.

For the moment though, enjoy your Edge III - It is a really nice trem when it's still virgin.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Mar 29, 2011,