I need a plan, because I want to become the best guitarist/musician I can possibly be.

I want to come up with something solid, something where no time is wasted and everything I do is beneficial.

I also realize that knowing is not enough, that the theory has to be applied or it's useless.

I want to be the best well rounded musician possible, so I hope you guys can help me come up with a plan or course to follow.

I want to focus on techinque, songwriting, theory and all the subcategories that fall into it.

Right now my routine consists of 30 minute-1 hour sessions of the following.

Finger stretching, warming up and doing liner and angular exercises

Reading sheet music

Studying scales up and down the fretboard (in patterns and in thirds, I believe the best way to learn them is in thirds, because thats how the relate to chords)

Practicing chord charts

I vary some things like studying harmony and voice leading, things that I practice on paper.

My main problem as of late has been consistency but I'm now more focused than ever, I realize that when I study these things very hard good things come out of it, the more I study the more songs come to me and other ideas.

So I hope you guys can help me modify my plan and come up with something, because some of these things are easy to know, but harder to transfer and apply to the instrument, which I know just takes alot of practice, but I know there's more to i than just practicing, some sort of knowledge.

Some areas I want to be good at are songwriting and improvisation but moreover a complete control of music theory.

Hope you guys can help
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Hmmm, random guess to start of with would be doing the routine every day... Twice..

Like morning and evening...

Guess but well, you said you studied scales, maybe also part of your time where you practise improvising
Incarnation of awesomeness on earth.
None of this is going to help you if you can't play with other people. Go jam with as many dudes as you can in a band setting. It'll be the best experience you get and will help you improve all areas of your playing.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
definately try to fit improvisation and ear training into your routine. Having a good ear and being able to improvise well has loads of benifits and makes a lot of things seem much easier. The routine looks good though
*Insert hilarious quote here.*
I am working on my ear and improvising has always been a big part of my playing. I used to watch how others improvised and tried to mimic what they did and then evolve from there and get into the groove and the track.
I always thought that I didn't need to know music theory, but I realized I was being ignorant and that I can only benefit from it.

But right now I'm not in the position to play with any other musicians, and I probably won't be for the next two years, but I've played in enough bands that I have a feel for playing in the groove and pushing and holding.

BTW I've studied Steve Vai's 10/30 hour workout, and I was wondering if anyone else has adapted this into their routine. I have a pdf of the 30 hour workout but I recently realized that its not the full workout; a few pages are missing.
don't worry about doing both physical technique and scales in the same day--alternate them. how much time are you putting in? how much time do you spend on technique?
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Quote by TDKshorty
I need a plan, because I want to become the best guitarist/musician I can possibly be.

I want to come up with something solid, something where no time is wasted and everything I do is beneficial.

I also realize that knowing is not enough, that the theory has to be applied or it's useless.

I want to be the best well rounded musician possible, so I hope you guys can help me come up with a plan or course to follow.

I want to focus on techinque, songwriting, theory and all the subcategories that fall into it.

Right now my routine consists of 30 minute-1 hour sessions of the following.

Finger stretching, warming up and doing liner and angular exercises

Reading sheet music

Studying scales up and down the fretboard (in patterns and in thirds, I believe the best way to learn them is in thirds, because thats how the relate to chords)

Practicing chord charts

I vary some things like studying harmony and voice leading, things that I practice on paper.

My main problem as of late has been consistency but I'm now more focused than ever, I realize that when I study these things very hard good things come out of it, the more I study the more songs come to me and other ideas.

So I hope you guys can help me modify my plan and come up with something, because some of these things are easy to know, but harder to transfer and apply to the instrument, which I know just takes alot of practice, but I know there's more to i than just practicing, some sort of knowledge.

Some areas I want to be good at are songwriting and improvisation but moreover a complete control of music theory.

Hope you guys can help

How much time do you spend playing the guitar..... as in playing music on it for the sake of enjoyment. That's an important ingredient that too often gets left out of the routine.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 29, 2011,
I play out of enjoyment for a long time, usually in between practicing. I only study chord charts from songs that I enjoy, at least that's what I'm doing right now, so that I get enjoyment out of it and it's just not a routine.

Ear training and improv is more or less something I do by just playing too... learning songs that I love and learning jams and and then playing over those jams.

i don't jam to tracks like on cds "20 great blues jams", I really only jam over songs that I know and like, but I do know that it's important to be able to play over anything sort of changes and rhythms, but I have a broad taste in music so, i don't think I'm hurting myself

BUt I just pretty much play all day- usually 30 minutes to an hour on each section, for like 8/9 hours.

and playing for enjoyment is the only reason I play, I do enjoy the practicing, but it's not the main reason I play. I just know it well help me better to enjoy playing, the better I get.

Like one of my idols, John Frusciante has said before, who IMO, is one of the most emotional musicians, or whom I get the most enjoyment out of his music, he said that his practicing in his teen years wasn't really emotional, it was more just practicing and clinical
Quote by Sean0913
What do you know about music theory as it applies to the guitar?

Best,

Sean

I know how to form chords ( and not just 5th chords but dominants and ninths and thirteenths and other extensions) and only now am I learning scales. I always knew, from tabs and learning stuff, but I would hit a "wrong" not occasionally or something that wasn't diatonic.

I feel like I don't know that much, but if you give me examples, I could tell you better. My brain is going "ahhh!" right now, from lack of sleep haha

I can do harmonies, more linear than chordal, but I haven't really practice chordal stuff.

BTW you were the person I was hoping to hear from, your posts are the most intelligent I read

EDIT: One thing I'd really like to be able to do is voice leading, I want to be able to understand it the way Jeff Buckley did it, he was amazing.

EDIT 2: I also have almost unlimited and amazing resources, I've gathered alot from online but my cousin, who plays trumpet, gave me an external hardrive full of a ton of goodies, its about 20 gigs in all/ its like 14,000 files haha

I've got everything Al Di Meola's guides to chords/scales/arpeggios

Berklee books on Guitar, Harmony and Arranging..., Guitar grimoire chords and scales. to a ton of different fake books and different books on counterpoint and and hector berlioz' treatise on modern instrumentation and the frank zappa sheet book and i mean tons of stuff, so I'm pretty much covered in that aspect. ( and i know it doesn't matter if i have an impressive list if i can't utilize any of it, so that's why I'm here! ha)

BTW I do plan on going to music school in about two years, but I can't waste anytime in the meantime
Last edited by TDKshorty at Mar 29, 2011,
Tell you what,

I offer a free mentoring service, send me a little bio in PM, and tell me more about your playing goals and skills (when you feel more awake for it) and I'll think about what you've written here and see what I can do to help. I'd be happy to help mentor you, and that service is always free.

Best,

Sean
Quote by GuitarMunky
How much time do you spend playing the guitar..... as in playing music on it for the sake of enjoyment. That's an important ingredient that too often gets left out of the routine.
↲I'm with this, i wouldn't last a week on your routine because it's all 20 mins this and 30 minutes that. Sometimes you just to sit, chill and play some cheesy shit, badly if need be.
hi TDKshorty,

maybe,you could divide your practice into logical and intuitive tasks.

It may sound weird; but sometimes by teaching others, what you already know can help you gain a deeper understanding of what you know.

By teaching a friend, some of your existing understanding of the guitar,may help you to understand it more on an intuitive level.

on 1st glance i would say improvising is an intuitive task and song writing a logical one ....
but why don't we approach these tasks the other way round ?

so with "improvising" you could apply specific framework of : pitch , rhythm, style or dynamics .

with song writing -
try writing in different environments, indoors or outdoors .
or by drawing on different media. how about finding a blog you like ? or a news story ? and then write a song to reflect that; not just in lyrics but in choice of chords ,harmony, melody rhythm and style !

I'd guess if you choose 3 random stories to base different songs on you will find yourself discovering new sides to your musical styles.

anyway i hope you have found this post of use to you ,

may you continue to enjoy the guitar
You have to follow a Master List. Write down different sections like "Chords, Arpeggios, Ear Training, Playing Gilmour Solos, Speed Exercises" kind of that, depending on what you are learning, and do them for 30mins no more and you'll be fine
I agree with the last two posts, but I want to make the best master list possible ha!

But I do think I could take up the challenge of writing and creating music with things that I've never done before or with something just to say that I can do it. You know, because how many times do we write a song, but never finish it and then rewrite and it's never finished. Also, like... artists generally can draw or paint with any medium they want, no matter what, and so I think as a musician I should be able to do the same. Like if I never write a song focusing on dynamics, loudness and softness, then I do I really know that I can do itm, you know?
would you consider studying?

I am starting a 9 months high diploma in guitar soon.

On the course I will be taught many different styles, techniques, theory, applying theory to the guitar, music tech, playing with a band every week, reguler live shows, music bussiness, piano and some singing. Its all about advancing your playing.

In my practice times I split them innto multiple slots, like yesterday I did a rhythm slot technique slot, one lead technique slot. But ill often do more, like improvising, just riffing, strength excercises, theory.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Mar 30, 2011,
Yeah, I'm going to go to a school in two years, either the ACM at UCO or hopefully I'll be good enough to get into berklee on a scholarship
Quote by TDKshorty
Yeah, I'm going to go to a school in two years, either the ACM at UCO or hopefully I'll be good enough to get into berklee on a scholarship

Awesome. I find some young music hopefuls feel bad about going to college to study music because you hear that so many great players never had this education and there for think its cheating, or inferior.

But I say go for it and enjoy it.