I can't get into the style, it's very difficult to sound "country'ish"! I even have a Tele (with nice Tuangy pickups) and I can find an adequate country tone but everything I play just doesn't sound country. Any suggestion?
try to use some blues scales and listen to your favorite country songs to find licks that you think sound good. i don't play country so this is all i could suggest
e|----------0----0----0----0--|
B|----------1----1----1----1--|
G|----------0----0----0----0--|
D|----------2----2----2----2--|
A|----0-2-3---------3---------|
E|---3--------3---------3-----|

You're welcome

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
blues and country are opposite sides of the same coin. pick up "at a glance country guitar" and "at a glance blues guitar," learn some theory about chord progressions and melodie-making if you haven't already, and study you're favorite country guitarists' ways of doing things. i'm going to record a country album myself in the not-too-distant future, ryan adams' influenced.

whatever u do, don't play pop with an acoustic guitar and call it country, like taylor-poser-swift -_-
To get a country sound, a relative easy way is to use the major pentatonic scale. But the best way is to learn some country songs and see what is going on. Finding some "country guitar basics" videos won't hurt either.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Steve Trovato has some new dvd's on Country Guitar. There are six dvd's (each dvd a week). I have week 1 and I really like it.
Quote by Duarteman
I can't get into the style, it's very difficult to sound "country'ish"! I even have a Tele (with nice Tuangy pickups) and I can find an adequate country tone but everything I play just doesn't sound country. Any suggestion?

How many country songs have you learned ?

if the answer is zero or very few..... you found your problem.
shred is gaudy music
I'm going to confess something here.

Thats the one style I know the least about, and Im smack dab in the heart of Texas.

The best that I can tell you from analyzing it is they avoid the 4th like the plague. If you start yapping at a major scale and try to sound country...good luck. I havent had the time to really sit down with it, but what little I have I really respect how close it is to jazz in that it seems to very skillfully play through the chord changes. Not to mention all the hybrid picking and pedal steel bends

By the way a future goal is to lick that Guthrie thune "Rhode Island Shred" and Im sure I'll pick up some mean insights...that's one of the things that I suppose has made me a fan of his, is his relative ease at integrating himself authentically into so many musical styles while keeping his own way about him.

(For now I continue to work out Waves...I practice that thing like someone with OCD, I'm suprised someone hasn't ripped the guitar from me yet!)

Steve Trovato has always been known for his blues teaching, he was an instructor back at GIT back in the day. Him and Keith Wyatt, were two of the best.

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Mar 29, 2011,