When I palm mute, I use the skin near the base of the thumb. From all the videos I've seen and information I've read, you are supposed to use the skin near the edge, near the pinkey. Is this correct? Because I don't feel as if my way works well, despite using the same technique for over a year.
Quote by mckaveney
When I palm mute, I use the skin near the base of the thumb. From all the videos I've seen and information I've read, you are supposed to use the skin near the edge, near the pinkey. Is this correct? Because I don't feel as if my way works well, despite using the same technique for over a year.

Yes, that is correct. If you don't feel that your technique is working well, try using the other technique to see if there is any improvement. Remember to start slowly and to be patient.
Quote by quinn_1888
What you really need is a new amp.

No. No pit talk in here.

It's the pinky part you should use. Using the area on your thumb is tiring and limits movement at speed.
Try and relearn and after a while you'll be wondering why you ever used your former ways.
Yeah, if you use the heel of your hand(on the pinky side) you can mute all 6 strings. I was trying your way and I wasnt able to do. You don't want to mute too far up the string, in fact as close to the bridge as possible so you still get the right pitch and sound. '
the amp is fine lol
i use base near thumb,never really remember trying do do it just happened naturally,whatever works for u.