Page 1 of 3
I thought I´d start a thread like this. Let´s post weird musical facts you have heard of and you think others on this forum may not be aware of. I will start:

-Herman li from Dragonforce broke one string of his guitar while recording and didn´t delete it.

-in LTE´s song "universal mind" you can hear a windows error sound around the middle mark.

-In Metallica´s "and justice for all" the bass is almost unaudible.

-Michael angelo batio used to play glam metal in a band no one ever heard of...Nitro.

-Dream Theater has never played "space dye vest" live until recently.

-Most of Symphony X´s line-up is of Italian ancestry, same as some famous shredders as Satriani, Vai, Petrucci, Batio, Campeste and Romeo.

-Mozart suffered from Tourettes, and was a huge fan of scatological humour.

Now you!
rob zombie worked on the set of peewees playhouse
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
alexander the great was an albanian bisexual, left handed midget.

not as fun, but berg died after his wife tried to operate on a mole on his back with a household scissors to save money.
The cash register used in the song "Money" by Pink Floyd is still at Abbey Road studios

I share my birthday with Dick Parry, who did a sax solo on the song "Money"
pantera - far beyond driven,heaviest record ever to hit no1 in 3 diff countries,usa,uk and australia.
On the studio recording of "Be my lover" by Alice Cooper, you can hear the drummer (Neal Smith i think?) drop his sticks at 3:00 (roughly)... I read somewhere that aparently drummers that cover the song try to imitate the sound of the sticks.. not knowing that it was a mistake
The members of Lynard Skynard could never agree on what key Sweet Home Alabama was in.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
The first song recorded by Jon Bon Jovi was actually a song called ‘R2-D2: We Wish You A Merry Christmas’ for an album called the Star Wars Christmas Album.
Cool facts...I got nothing...

Though I know of Nitro....

Lets see Jason Becker and Marty Friedman both played on a Shrapnel project called Cacophany...thats all I got..

Tony Macalpine used to play BC rich, and was a killer concert pianist too.

The strongest guy that I have ever shaken hands with in terms of hand strength, was Alexi Laiho. And he wasn't even trying.

Most guitar players that are well known are very short. I towered over Alexi and both guys from Shadows Fall, Korn, um...the list goes on and on....I dont think most of them are over 145 lbs, to my 180, and I'm only 5'10".

Sean
I remember now some:

-W.A.S.P. is the tallest band ever
-Michael angelo uses a wig
-Kirk hammet is commonly regarded as the metal player with the worst vibrato.
-Ozzy Ozbourne is the richest metal musician ever.
Quote by michamorgendorf
I remember now some:

-W.A.S.P. is the tallest band ever
-Michael angelo uses a wig
-Kirk hammet is commonly regarded as the metal player with the worst vibrato.
-Ozzy Ozbourne is the richest metal musician ever.

I think James hetfieldwould take that crown
Bob Dylan is the oldest person to have an album debut at number 1 in the Billboard 200.
Si
Jerry Goldsmith, the composer of the score to the film Medicine Man, is also credited as 'Hair Consultant', after Sean Connery said he wanted a ponytail like Goldsmith's for the film.
Quote by austhrax
I think James hetfieldwould take that crown

Which crown? Tallest, wig, richest, or worst vibrato?
Quote by Sean0913

Most guitar players that are well known are very short. I towered over Alexi and both guys from Shadows Fall, Korn, um...the list goes on and on....I dont think most of them are over 145 lbs, to my 180, and I'm only 5'10".

Sean

there's hope for me yet!

um, borodin was the illegitimate son of a russian prince!
Duff Mckagan's natural hair color is actually dark brown.
While still in elementary school, Jason Becker gave lessons even to his music teacher.
Quote by Jehannum
Jerry Goldsmith, the composer of the score to the film Medicine Man, is also credited as 'Hair Consultant', after Sean Connery said he wanted a ponytail like Goldsmith's for the film.

Brilliant, I love Goldsmith.
The crazy screamy sound in the main solo in Master of Puppets was actually an accident, caused by Hammett accidently bending the high e string off of the fretboard, some how hitting a harmonic. He has been unable to recreate it since.

Chuck Billy from Testament had the same vocal coach as Frank Sinatra

Megadeth were forced to re-record their cover of 'These Boots' ater Nancy Sinatra took offence to Dave Mustaines re-written lyrics.

Dave Mustaine took the chord progression in 'The four horseman/ The Mechanix' from the Lynard Skynard song 'Sweet Home Allabama'.

When Motley Crue were recording their album 'Dr Feel Good' Mick Mars used so mny amps that his sound leaked on the Aerosmith album being recorded next door.

All four members of Motley Crue have been to jail at different points in their lives.

The chord progression in Metallica's 'Call of Ktulu' is the same chord progression as the intro to Megadeths 'Hangar 18'.

Former Megadeth guitarist Jeff Young once felt so embarrassed about being in a heavy metal band that he told a man he met he was in a gospel band called Megedith.

After leaving Anthrax for the second time Dan Spitz retired from music to follow his dream of a career in watch making.
-Most film score composers don´t know how to orchestrate their stuff, but they can somehow direct it.

-Barbra Streisand never got a nosejob out of fear her voice would change.

-Mariah Carey can sing pitches so high that only a whistle can imitate them.

-In the song "A.D.I.D.A.S" by Korn, you can hear Jonathan Davis´ baby doing backing vocals.
the lead singer in the pillows sounds like a japanese james dean bradfield

The Droogs, Moloko, Orange Mecanique, Malchicks and Heaven 17 all took their names from the film ‘A Clockwork Orange’

Most people who bought Babylon zoo's spaceman bought it from having heard the levi jean's ad excerpt leading them to think it was a dance song
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by michamorgendorf
-Most film score composers don´t know how to orchestrate their stuff, but they can somehow direct it.

This isn't true. If they have the time, most film composers will orchestrate their own music. If not, they write out sketches of around 9 staves, and tell the orchestrator exactly what they want.

Strange Fact:

In the film ET, Steven Spielberg re-edited the final 15 minute chase scene to fit Williams' score perfectly.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Mar 30, 2011,
This is an awesome thread. Loving the random things I've learned. Keep this thing going!

EVH's middle pickup wasnt actually wired into anything, and that threw a lot of people trying to re-engineer his sound.

And no arguing please...the epic-ness must go on!

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Mar 30, 2011,
Johnathon Davis from Korn used to work in a morgue, a few their songs are inspired by stuff that he saw in there.

Yngwie Malmsteen unwires his tone control on his strat.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Mar 30, 2011,
This is a great thread.

Dave Mustaine got the inspiration for the lyrics of Symphony of Destruction came from a message written on a napkin in a sushi bar.

He got the name Rust in Peace from a bumper sticker he saw which said 'May your war heads all rust in peace'.

Michael Schenker first started learning the guitar at the age of 9 when he would steal his older brother Rudolfs guitar whilst he was at school.

Zakk Wyldes guitar was originally meant to have the spiral from the film Vertigo on it, but the guys at the Gibson factory got it wrong. But he liked the accidently bullseye so much he choose to keep it.

The original version of Metallica's 'Jump in the Fire' by Dave Mustaine was about sex, and the lyrics were so vulgar they would get this thread closed if I quoted them. James Hetfield was so embarrassed about singing them that he changed the lyrics the moment Mustaine left the band.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Mar 30, 2011,
Dire Straights - Money for Nothin' when Mark Knopfler sings "The little ****** with the earring and the makeup" he's reffering to Boy George

Dep Leppard's drummer only has one arm

Michael Jackson's "Ben" is about a pet mouse

Barry Manilow's "Mandy" is about a beagle

Dark Side of The Moon remained on the Billboard top 200 for 741 weeks (14 years)
Ringo Starr once showed the rest of The Beatles a song he'd written. The band immediately recognised it was a Bob Dylan song, Ringo thought he'd wrote it.

Once when the Beatles were arguing in the studio, Ringo stormed off and refused to play on a song (I'm 90% sure it was Back in the USSR), so Paul just played drums.

George Harrison wrote Here Comes The Sun in Eric Clapton's garden.

Noel Redding (of Jimi Hendrix experience) forgets to play the riff of Fire at the some point in the song, but it was never corrected.

Tommy Emmanuel was born with about 15% of "normal" hearing.

Mark Knopfler has a dinosaur named after him.

John Frusciante's guitar teacher auditioned to be in the Red Hot Chili Peppers

John Frusciante only plays guitars that are older than he is.

Jimi Hendrix lived next door to Handel
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by gavk
alexander the great was an albanian bisexual, left handed midget.

im guessing you watch QI?

if you listen carefully, in the who song "wont get fooled again" you can hear a chair creaking in the beginning and during the keyboard interlude.

in the song roxanne the part where sting hits the piano and laughs was a mistake but they kept it.

in the song "magic dance" by david bowie for the movie labyrinth, the baby sounds are actually david bowie. the baby they had wouldnt make any noise when recording so he did it instead.

in the song "foxy lady" by jimi hendrix, you can hear him clear his throat before some verses. in the song "spanish castle magic" he loses his voice and says "i cant sing the song" and they kept it in.
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Mar 30, 2011,
In Van Halen's "Amsterdam" there's a "huh" sound at 0:54 and 1:41, this exact sound lowered a half step down can be heard in most if not all live versions of "Amsterdam"...

Thats the only one I can think of at the moment...

Edit:
You can hear John Bonhams bass pedal squeak in "The Ocean" and "Since I've been Loving You" ...I think theres another one, but it's been a while since I've listened to Zeppelin.

On The Clash's London Calling album the last song "Train In Vain" is not on the album cover itself and was scratched in runoff zone of the vinyl. It's cool cause I have this album on vinyl!!!

Eddie Van Halen's brown sound in "Eruption" and most of Van Halen I is like 50% reverb, the studio they recorded in had a Reverb/live wash room upstairs and theres no doubt it was used.

On Van Halen's Balance album Eddie used a wet/dry/wet mix... he would record a track, copy it 2 times pan one hard left detune it a few cents up, pan the other hard right and detune it a few cents down, and leave a dry tone in the middle. Makes for an interesting and thick sound imo.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Last edited by Ethanb08 at Mar 30, 2011,
About the time the very first guitars we would recognize as such were appearing, the Church tried to ban them as promoting "sinful behavior" (mostly dancing...).

A tradition that has carried on to the present day from the 1500s.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEJH6clqfUI
Sting is wearing these big glasses to hide his red/swollen eyes. He accidentally shot hairspray into his eyes before the show. You can sometimes see him doing these slight flips with his head which prevented the glasses to slip off.

Slash hates to play "Sweet Child o' Mine". He's stated that the song is good, but the song, intro especially, isn't fun to play.

Nikki Sixx stole his first "bass" so he could get a spot as a bassplayer in a band. He was severely disappointed when his bandmates pointed out that it was a guitar, not a bass.
-The guitar is commonly regarded as a Spanish invention, yet it is of Arabic origin.

-Anyone who thinks 10 string guitars are a byproduct of the "djent" scene is wrong. There have been classical guitars with 10 strings for a while.

-The (amazing) Ibanez company got its name from some Spanish luthier named Carlos Ibanez.

-Chad Smith and Will Ferrell look strikinly alike.

-90% of Kiss is Jewish. All the three beasty boys are Jewish.

-Jonathan Davis has a step brother. Marc Chavez..the singer for that silly band "Adema".

-Fred Durst (that annoying guy "singing" for LB) used to work as a tattooist. After ruining a tattoo on Head´s arm, he gave him a demo tape, which Korn then handed to some A&R guy. BOOM! LB got a deal.

-Cannibal Corpse´s first three albums have been banned in Germany and therefore they are not allowed to play songs from those albums.

-96% of AvengeD Sevenfold´s songs are written in the key of D.

-Fear Factory´s former drummer went from human drum machine to hamburger reviewer.

-Dream Theater´s discography is actually a meta-album, since the end of each album´s last song connects perfectly with the beginning of the following album´s first tune.

-The intro to one of Metallica´s heaviest songs, "Damage inc." is actually a choral piece by Bach.

-Lars Ulrich has started to act in indie films....with small success.

-Although the music she is used to sing doesn´t call for otherwordly musical talent, Mariah Carey is known for having perfect pitch.
I have nothing really to add other than maybe Webern died on one of the last days of World War II from American friendly fire as he nipped out for a cigar.

Also:

Quote by Venice King

Jimi Hendrix lived next door to Handel

WHAT?!
Obviously in different years, a friend was there today but I knew it from years ago. 23 Brook street in London. (I think).
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Steve Harris could have been a professional footballer for West Ham United.

Kerry King taught Jeff Hennaman to play guitar before he was in Slayer.

Lars Ulrich could have been a professional tennis player.

Glen Tipton did not start playing guitar until he was 21.

Bucket Head actually has a normal human head under that bucket.
Quote by Deaddog
Dire Straights - Money for Nothin' when Mark Knopfler sings "The little ****** with the earring and the makeup" he's reffering to Boy George

Dep Leppard's drummer only has one arm

Michael Jackson's "Ben" is about a pet mouse

Barry Manilow's "Mandy" is about a beagle

Dark Side of The Moon remained on the Billboard top 200 for 741 weeks (14 years)

In Nikki sixx's book the heroin diaries he say's the song is about motley crue
This thread is awesome. I don't know too many facts though.

- Aside from Load, ReLoad, and St. Anger because of the tuning change (I think), almost all of Metallica's songs are written in the key of Em, Bm, or Am.

-James Hetfield went to a church near Metallica's studio to learn to correctly sing while working on the Black Album, and he was quite afraid to go for fear that the pastor or singing instructor would kick him out for singing badly.

-Kirk Hammett is a vegetarian.

-Riders On The Storm was the last song Jim Morrison recorded before he was found dead.

-Ozzy Osbourne hired Randy Rhoads into his band when Randy was still warming up with scales for his audition.

-In The Wizard by Black Sabbath, Bill Ward hits his cowbell only once in the entire song.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
The Jackson Randy Rhoads was designed to look like a shark.

The Jackson guitar company came into existence because thn Charvel owners Grover Jackson was so proud of his designs for Randy Rhoads that he felt he had to put his own name on it.

Randy Rhoads was recommended to Ozzy Osbourne by Sharon Osbourne, meaning she had quite a big impact on metal music!

Randy Rhoads (who died in a plain crash) had a severe phobia of flying.

Randy Rhoads used to seek classical guitar teaches in every state they stopped at whilst touring across America as he was so scared of not having a lesson for one week and not progressing.
Page 1 of 3