This is related to electric and acoustic so I assume it's ok to post here.
I bought Dunlop Fretboard 65, which states it can't be used on maple fretboards, and got home only to remember 3 of my 4 guitars have maple fretboards. What other effective options are there for cleaning the frets?
Maple fretboards are usually finished with lacquer or poly so just wipe them with a damp rag. I wouldn't use anything too liquidy because it will soak in around the frets and swell the wood.
Just a damp rag will do fine.
The Dunlop Lemon Oil is meant to be a conditioner, not cleaner.
To clean your frets use masking tape either side of the frets and then use steel wool to give them a good clean but make sure you take care removing the tape as you may end up lifting the lacquer then gently wipe the fret board with a damp cloth
Damp rag. I just cleaned my fretboard last night. I actually used pledge multi-surface cleaner and a rag.

I have no idea if it's bad for my fretboard, but the label says it works on wood and metal and it cleaned it... so.
Quote by dannycasevnx
You can use a slightly damp cloth. Also how did you forget the majority of your guitars have maple necks?

Cause i am not very bright at times lol. thanks for the replies, haven't really cleaned em before and i wasn't sure if i had to do anything specific.
Quote by JonnyMonster91
Damp rag. I just cleaned my fretboard last night. I actually used pledge multi-surface cleaner and a rag.

I have no idea if it's bad for my fretboard, but the label says it works on wood and metal and it cleaned it... so.

Do not use Pledge (or similar) type products on any guitar fretboard. They have chemicals that can damage the wood.

Do not use any kind of oil, cleaner, conditioner, etc on Maple fretboards. Just a damp cloth as mentioned. For frets only, I've heard that painters tape and .0000 steel wool is the way to go.

Linseed and Lemon oil on Rosewood fretboards is 'OK' but luthiers I know recommend not using these either as over time, they will dry your board out. A light application with an immediate wipe down (dry off) ONCE a YEAR is about all I would do to my own guitars with Rosewood and I'm considering stopping that based on above luthier info.

(I've used .0000 steel wool on my Rosewood board for cleaning and frets and never had any problems - and I know others that do it too)
Quote by deltaten
Linseed oil??? Might get a bit sticky after it dries!

a guy named lin's seed? That's semen my good man, THAT's why it's sticky! scruba-scruba-scruba....
Quote by pdawson

crap, i got high and took a bath with my sisters fish, and totally forgot he was in there when i drained out the water
R.I.P Sassy

Quote by MakinLattes

I once sharpened an entire box of crayons and walked around my neighborhood trying to sell baggies of shavings.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

normally i don't do that, but i figured what the hell lol

But on the actual topic at hand...I typically use what everyone else uses....steel wool!!!!. it actually brings out a shimmer in the wood too....been doing that for a few years so
Quote by pdawson

crap, i got high and took a bath with my sisters fish, and totally forgot he was in there when i drained out the water
R.I.P Sassy

Quote by MakinLattes

I once sharpened an entire box of crayons and walked around my neighborhood trying to sell baggies of shavings.
Last edited by Necrolysis at Mar 31, 2011,
Quote by polishedbullet
Linseed oil. Some Canadian guitar repairman on YouTube swears by this stuff for cleaning Rosewood fretboards.

I do too. Typically rosewood fingerboards are left unfinished so you have to put some kind of oil on them from time to time. I usually use linseed (boiled linseed) for the first application and then some kind of lemon based stuff like Dr. Stringfellows on them for maintenance. But...maple fingerboards usually have some kind of finish on them because they'd get really dirty really fast and you wouldn't be able to clean it without sanding it.
Quote by Duv
Human urine. Seriously.

I've heard this before.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"