Hi guys.

I've got a marshall MG15CDR that's a few years old and sounding more and more shitty by the day. Anyone have any recommendations for a small combo amp that would be good for dorm room practice? I've got a Peavey Valve King at home that I miss dearly, but it's way too big and loud for my dorm, obviously.

I'd like to keep the price UNDER $300. I've seen some tube / solid state combos and that seems pretty cool. But im mostly looking for something reliable that can play mostly any style, metal, classic rock, and some bluesy things.

currently I'm using a EHX Metal Muff to replace the distortion channel on my marshall MG - very annoying. So something with a lot of gain would be preferable here.

thanks
-Gibson SG special - faded brown
-ESP LTD MH400NT w/ EMG 81 - 85
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
Vox DA5 does wonders as a practice amp. If you want something with a little more power, check out the Peavey Vypyr's.
I dont even see the DA5 listed on musicians friend, do they still make them? just curious.
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
Fender Champ 600
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Super Champ?
Valve Junior combo?
Vox DA5?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I really don't want to have to run an overdrive pedal through it if I don't have to. I'm assuming if I go with any of the listed options so far that I would have to do that.
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
Quote by W METALLICA W
I really don't want to have to run an overdrive pedal through it if I don't have to. I'm assuming if I go with any of the listed options so far that I would have to do that.

not with the Da5.

i'll toss the microcube in there too.

a little over budget, a tweaker combo would work too. maybe find a used one on GC's web site or craigslist? or a used jet city 20 combo?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
not with the Da5.

i'll toss the microcube in there too.

a little over budget, a tweaker combo would work too. maybe find a used one on GC's web site or craigslist? or a used jet city 20 combo?

Yeah I'm definitely going to be checking out the microcube - roland is on my list.

tweaker combo? whats that?

and jet city, those can handle metal?
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
Quote by W METALLICA W

tweaker combo? whats that?

and jet city, those can handle metal?

the Egnater Tweaker Combo. it's a 15 watt tube combo amp.

yes, the jet city can do several forms of metal bone stock. more forms with a boost. and yet undiscovered forms once Min finishes modding his.

i suspect his to be capable of laser storms...
Quote by gregs1020
the Egnater Tweaker Combo. it's a 15 watt tube combo amp.

yes, the jet city can do several forms of metal bone stock. more forms with a boost. and yet undiscovered forms once Min finishes modding his.

i suspect his to be capable of laser storms...

I would kill to get my hands on an egnater! After taking a quick look on ebay and such, i'm not seeing that amp used in my price range. I'll definitely check out Jet City. Is the epiphone valve a quality combo?
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
the epi is a nice little tube amp voiced completely wrong for metal.

it's a stretch to find a tweaker combo for $300 but i'd keep my eyes open for one. the head cost me $350 new a while back.
Any other ideas?
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings