I am right now really keen and interested in analyzing the song: Hate me! and Everytime I die by children of bodom. The tuning the use for their earlier stuff as on these two tracks is Standard D tuning. the melodies he does usually revolve around some of the same notes ( G, D, C, A) are the notes i see in most chords and melodies and harmonies.

The tonality or key is D (im almost certain) as stated before the melodies and harmonies and chords consist of this note and the power chords to start the song and end the song have the root note of D, the palm mute open low D riffs in various sections of the song. Moreover from knowing this i started to form a scale from the use of the tonic note D and came up with the D natural minor scale that consisted of
D Natural Minor Scale

1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 8(1)
D E F G A A#/Bb C D
W H W W H W W

All the notes in the scale i found within the song in chords, melodies, harmonies.

Now with all this information is there more that i should find out(more scales or modes)? As well instead of triads the songs consist of power chords and chords that span 4 frets but use only two notes, so how would i analyze a chord progression from that? This is the first song im analyzing so i will probably make mistakes but any help is much appreciated or advice! I am not transcribing it i am using Guitar Pro to analyze it.
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
Quote by monobrow7
Now with all this information is there more that i should find out(more scales or modes)? As well instead of triads the songs consist of power chords and chords that span 4 frets but use only two notes, so how would i analyze a chord progression from that? This is the first song im analyzing so i will probably make mistakes but any help is much appreciated or advice! I am not transcribing it i am using Guitar Pro to analyze it.

Looks like you're doing pretty well so far.

Modes aren't relevant.

It's a good question with the 2-note chord/key issue. You've already solved it. You can refer to the vocal melody, harmonies or bassline to figure out the key. Alternatively you can look to the fifth chords used at the notes they contain to figure it out. You've pretty much done this - the key is D minor.

Otherwise you can figure out the actual chords that the fifth chords represent with reference to the key. For example the D5 is actually a Dm in this song, except just the root and fifth are being played. You should be able to figure out the rest of the chords in this fashion and it will help your solos.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
alright thanks for the help and encouragement, its pretty cool analyzing songs that are melodic really points out how they attain it. As for the D5 being a DM couldn't it also be just a Dmajor because it doesn't have the third degree it which could make it either minor or major?
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
Quote by monobrow7
alright thanks for the help and encouragement, its pretty cool analyzing songs that are melodic really points out how they attain it. As for the D5 being a DM couldn't it also be just a Dmajor because it doesn't have the third degree it which could make it either minor or major?

It "could" be a D major, but it's much more likely that it's a D minor because the key is D minor.

Harmonise the notes of the major and minor scales to find the chords which are created within their associated keys.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud