I was reading up on the BelCanto technique, and I understand all of it except for the "inhalation of the voice". I didn't really understand what it was describing or how I'm supposed to do it. Could someone give me some clarification on this? Thanks!
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Okay... well... I'm assuming you've been to my site.

I can't really tell you how to do it without you knowing the first two stages of the technique. It's akin to saying, "how can I ride a bike with no hands?" when you can't yet ride with two. However, once you can ride quite confidently with one hand, riding with no hands requires very little explanation, but a lot of intuition.

Check the resources / links section of the site and watch those videos on MySeries TV. There is a section where Edward Johnson describes the inhalation pretty well.

In short, you have to visualize drawing the sound into your mouth from outside, imagining the sound being drawn into the mouth, as if on a conveyor belt. Upwards and inwards... pulling the sound onto the front of the hard palate.

It's helpful for me to visualize a referee's whistle. The air goes into the whistle and then curls around, following the natural contours of the whistle. Inhaling the voice has the air going into the mouth and then following the natural contours of the mouth upwards and outwards to reflect off the hard palate.

Careful, though.... you are visualizing the sound doing this, as a means towards "tricking" your body into achieving this effect. You are not "literally" drawing air backwards through the vocal cords.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Okay... well... I'm assuming you've been to my site.

I can't really tell you how to do it without you knowing the first two stages of the technique. It's akin to saying, "how can I ride a bike with no hands?" when you can't yet ride with two. However, once you can ride quite confidently with one hand, riding with no hands requires very little explanation, but a lot of intuition.

Check the resources / links section of the site and watch those videos on MySeries TV. There is a section where Edward Johnson describes the inhalation pretty well.

In short, you have to visualize drawing the sound into your mouth from outside, imagining the sound being drawn into the mouth, as if on a conveyor belt. Upwards and inwards... pulling the sound onto the front of the hard palate.

It's helpful for me to visualize a referee's whistle. The air goes into the whistle and then curls around, following the natural contours of the whistle. Inhaling the voice has the air going into the mouth and then following the natural contours of the mouth upwards and outwards to reflect off the hard palate.

Careful, though.... you are visualizing the sound doing this, as a means towards "tricking" your body into achieving this effect. You are not "literally" drawing air backwards through the vocal cords.

CT

Ooooooooh. I think I get it now. I think I was taking it too literally. I feel like a bit of an idiot now.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Iv also been into this for awhile now also. axemans web site is a great resource for this. and the 3 links in links and resources. the women mentions MMMM sounds or light hums to resonate in the sinus cavities. brain volmer said alot of the same stuff that ed johnson was speaking of.

Miriam Jaskierowicz Arman has some intriguing theories on youtube. The steps you take and processing the information you learned in the proper order. The way you imagine yourself taking breath and singing has alot to do with the out come. So the mental aspect is just as important if not more then the physical aspect. I would watch her videos. the egg technique really works great for resonating and getting high volume effortlessly.

The feeling of the air going backwards and upwards is a great help to me.
Last edited by metalmetalhead at Mar 31, 2011,
I'm really glad the site is helping people. That was one of my goals in putting it up.

Thanks!
CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.