I play bass in a band and so far we're only practicing, jamming, for all purposes, but next month we have our first gig and I'm going to upgrade my bass amp (currently own a Fender Rumble 15). Anyway I also play guitar sometimes and I was wondering if there is a bass amp capable of sounding good with a guitar, and how would distortion work in it.

Thanks

P.S. We play grunge.
You can play any bass amp with a guitar. The other way around, not so much.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
if you get a really heavy distortion pedal basically everything you play is gonna sound like kyuss.
Lots of giutarists have played through fender bassmans. Sounds really good. Sounds like Cream or RHCP a little.
i know theres an orange amp that is specifically designed to do both, cant remember which one?
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Fender Bassman. serves your purpose exactly.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by travs2448
i know theres an orange amp that is specifically designed to do both, cant remember which one?

Thunderverb.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I play my guitar through an Ampeg SVT-CL halfstack and it sounds amazing. Much better than most guitar amps IMO. Obviously you'll need some sort of pedal to get anything really gainy though.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by shut_up_n00b
I play my guitar through an Ampeg SVT-CL halfstack and it sounds amazing. Much better than most guitar amps IMO. Obviously you'll need some sort of pedal to get anything really gainy though.

I'll use a Boss DS-1
Depends a bit. You'll have to try out the bass amps in question with a guitar and see. My bass cab, for example, sounds like ass for guitar, but that's not the case with all bass amps/cabs by a long shot.

Also, I wouldn't really consider the Fender Bassman, at least not the versions that are nowadays marketed towards guitarists. They make pretty poor bass-amps for stage use. So if you primarily need an amp for bass use, that's not it.
You could also consider getting a guitar amp and a DI box for the bass.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
More importantly, make sure the speaker is a bass speaker. Using a bass through a guitar speaker will damage it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by ecvMatt
You could also consider getting a guitar amp and a DI box for the bass.

An active or passive direct box? And, since i'm a complete noob regarding this subject, how would I use it?
Last edited by 54Thiago at Mar 30, 2011,
Quote by 54Thiago
An active or passive direct box? And, since i'm a complete noob regarding this subject, how would I use it?

An active box, direct into the PA(maybe an effect or 2 in front if you so choose)
Quote by CodChick

Quote by ecvMatt
An active box, direct into the PA(maybe an effect or 2 in front if you so choose)

Ok, the scheme would be bass guitar>pedal>direct box>amplifier, and the guitar amp should be using a bass speaker, right?

(consider ">" as an arrow)
Quote by 54Thiago
Ok, the scheme would be bass guitar>pedal>direct box>amplifier, and the guitar amp should be using a bass speaker, right?

(consider ">" as an arrow)

No, I was suggesting the DI box in lieu of an amp, have your guitar amp just for guitar and run the bass straight into the PA. Then you don't have to worry about sounding teriible on guitar or damaging an amp with a bass.
Quote by CodChick

Quote by ecvMatt
No, I was suggesting the DI box in lieu of an amp, have your guitar amp just for guitar and run the bass straight into the PA. Then you don't have to worry about sounding teriible on guitar or damaging an amp with a bass.

Thanks a lot, but would I have some sort of control over the EQ?
Last edited by 54Thiago at Mar 30, 2011,
Quote by 54Thiago
Thanks a lot, but would I have some sort of control over the EQ?

If it is your PA, otherwise it's between you and the sound man.
Quote by CodChick

Fender bassman is nice if you're playing decades ago or pretty quietlytoday, but it doesn't have the clean headroom most gigging bass players need these days. Especially if you're just starting to gig and might find yourself at some venues without good PA support.

I rock a traynor yba200 right now and it tears it up pretty nicely for all sorts of different bass sounds and has brilliant cleans and decent overdrive for guitar. The type of overdrive/distortion you get for guitar is going to be pretty limited on a bass amp, but they're usually great platforms for pedals since they have such an open frequency response and high headroom.

Conversely, if you want breakup on the bass all the time, you can get a really high wattage guitar head, like the bugera 1960 (and many others, but that's what I've been considering lately) and pair it with a bass cab. Same issue for guitar though: you won't get any power tube breakup at gigging volume, but you can probably find one with a preamp geared toward any genre you're looking for.

Whatever you do, make sure you have a bass cab and a good eq!