So my boyfriend and I have an old no-name acoustic guitar lying around, and we decided to take on the project of making it pretty, by oil painting it.
I know you have to use varnish, but is there anything else I should know about oil paints on a guitar?
Not too sure oil paints are the best since most guitar finishes are also oil based. This means you may get the colors leaching into the wood. Believe it or not nail varnish is one of the best things to use as it's based on nitrocellulose, the same as the lacquer.
Quote by matt154
Not too sure oil paints are the best since most guitar finishes are also oil based. This means you may get the colors leaching into the wood. Believe it or not nail varnish is one of the best things to use as it's based on nitrocellulose, the same as the lacquer.

lol Never would have make that conection....I live with 5 girls..Wooot woooot! Awesome.
Quote by smokinjay
lol Never would have make that conection....I live with 5 girls..Wooot woooot! Awesome.

more like NOT awesome...I use to live with 4 in a flat, I think a little part of me died in that flat
Quote by sytharnia1560
more like NOT awesome...I use to live with 4 in a flat, I think a little part of me died in that flat

Still in the pocket....Just got to keep producing good hardwoods for guitars.