I went over to my girlfriends house one day, and we were going through all of her brother's things (Left for the Air Force, He's stationed in S.E. Asia) and we stumbled on a guitar case.

me being the incredible slueth that i am, i opened it to find a rather old, beat up gibson SG

i was stunned, she on the other hand just said "Oh yea, thats been in my family for years!"

than the really weird happened; the guitar had a SIX digit serial number: 135195

can anybody help identify this?? sorry =/ no pics =[
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
i tried entering in the serial number on the guitar dater project website but it was unrecognized. take some pics.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
it doesnt say Made in USA, i just kinda saw it and was like "whoa"
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
not loading =/ ^^
if all else fails, give gibson a ring or email, they might be able to come up with some general information.
ok from what i've read delboy could be right with 1963. Keep trying the link or search it in google but your serial fits the 1963 serial band.
Your guitar was made at the
Kalamazoo Plant, USA
approximately in: 1963
its my girlfriends. im getting married
Quote by therosa69
its my girlfriends. im getting married

well who gets it when you get divorced
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by therosa69
I went over to my girlfriends house one day, and we were going through all of her brother's things (Left for the Air Force, He's stationed in S.E. Asia) and we stumbled on a guitar case.

me being the incredible slueth that i am, i opened it to find a rather old, beat up gibson SG

i was stunned, she on the other hand just said "Oh yea, thats been in my family for years!"

than the really weird happened; the guitar had a SIX digit serial number: 135195

can anybody help identify this?? sorry =/ no pics =[

that's how it happens.

how does it sound/play?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by rawkandrowl
That guitar is probably worth $18,000 or more.

depends on the condition, really.

if it's beaten up it might not be worth anywhere near that much. depends on the extent of the 'beaten-upness'...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
depends on the condition, really.

if it's beaten up it might not be worth anywhere near that much. depends on the extent of the 'beaten-upness'...

Well it looks like it has been sitting in the closet not played at all. looks almost new, accept for the nasty strings and mile of caked up dirt.

and after all that, surprisingly, it plays pretty awesome!
Quote by rawkandrowl
That guitar is probably worth $18,000 or more.

Pretty unlikely, it would have to be in mint and original condition to get a decent amount of money for it but I think you'd have it up for sale for an awful long time before you found someone prepared to pay that sort of cash for it.
Quote by therosa69
Well it looks like it has been sitting in the closet not played at all. looks almost new, accept for the nasty strings and mile of caked up dirt.

and after all that, surprisingly, it plays pretty awesome!

wow. that probably is going to be worth quite a lot once you get it cleaned up a bit

a word of warning - playing that guitar too much might just ruin your ability to enjoy any other guitar you're likely to ever have access to
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
OP, first off congrats on the great find... I bet she and her brother are ecstatic!

Just a word of warning, don't let anyone try to restore it themselves if at all. If you do decide to get it restored pay a couple hundred dollars and have it done by a well recommended pro... who specializes in antique restoration and or is a great Luther.

Generally most collectors "the people who ultimatly determin what it's worth" ideally want it in original condition with the original patina/finish intact... if there is rust don't use a brillo pad to clean it off, just leave it as is. If there is slight buckle rash leave it don't buff it out. Don't re-fret it, don't switch or change anything. Even little stuff can really take down the value when you go to sell or insure it. Seeing as it may actually be worth a bit, I'm sure your "brother in-law" would love to insure it for as much as he possibly can.

Unfortunately I have an early 1950's Harmony H-50, I had to learn those things the hard way... my sister got a little crazy with steel wool on the pickup cover, and tuning pegs
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Mar 30, 2011,